Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 03:22 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,154,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam82 View Post
And you probably learned that behavior at home. My family would have NEVER let me get away with that.
Maybe? But its more than likely because I'm a prick and the material was boring and the teachers unintelligent. I needed something to do to pass the time, my parents wouldn't let me drop out. Perhaps I was hoping to get kicked out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 04:18 PM

901 posts, read 2,987,099 times
I was bored in some of my classes too. However, I knew better than to give my teachers problems. I was taught to respect my elders. There would have been serious consequences for not behaving in school, even high school.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:33 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,797,775 times
I've been teaching 15 years and have witnessed the continuous decline of manners and common courtesy by my students. Although there are rude parents and many difficult family situations where the child's behavior seems in-line with how they were raised that is not always the case. Even involved parents with excellent manners and a loving and secure family environment are having difficulty instilling proper values, manners, and common courtesies in their children.

The kids are exposed to a number of conflicting messages that frankly seem "out-of-line" with the values their parents are trying to convey. Music, movies and even Disney programs show children being disrespectful and rude to others as well as their parents. Technology also plays a part as cell phones, IM, text messaging and other communication methods and devices have seriously reduced personal contact. Many children will sit right next to each other on the bus, at home, or in the car and text each other rather than talk to each other.

I continue to model appropriate manners and behavior in my classroom but the irony is that we have come to a point where too many of my students consider my behavior odd and abnormal.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:27 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,800,500 times
Its an old fashioned word called RESPECT for others. Kids these days just dont have it ; they are not taught it at home and therefore it will never happen.

I feel as if we are doing our boys a disservice trying to teach them to be respectful of others and to treat others as they would like to be treated.
d

Old 12-21-2008, 07:02 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,513,664 times
My kids and their friends are respectful and I'm not talking young children. My daughters friends who are all in their twenties call my husband and me Mr and Mrs and my kids do the same to their friends parents. I'm trying to loosen up by introducing myself to new friends of my daughter's by my first name, but it's hard!

When I take a friend of my son's home they always thank me for the ride and hopefully my son is doing the same when he gets a ride. Just as important as the superficial manners is teaching kids to ALWAYS follow the golden rule, which is not to treat everyone as you think they will treat you but, "Whatever you wish that men would do to you, do so to them. " Big difference.

I can't do anything about any kids other then my own, but fortunately I think they are subconsciously attracted to other people that have the same values.

Lincolnian, I hear what you are saying and I think it's not uncommon for even good kids to stray off the path after peer influence and pounding media influence but hopefully, at some point they will turn around. Even though my youngest has a bunch of good friends they do get pretty silly when they are in a large bunch. The recent influx of girlfriends has helped to steady the whole group.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:54 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,836,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post

I also have some other students, 11th and 12th graders, who have decided not to do their final project (I always do projects with different options because I am not a big test giver and I teach dance -- they can show me what they know and/or what to learn more about). Anyway, both of these girls have just decided not to do it. One has not bothered to come to class the last two weeks and the other girl just won't do it. These girls are part of the school dance team, which I supervise, and I am considering kicking them out.

Ah.. Just want to vent. I need a break.
If this is the first time they've gone this direction, I think a wake-up call would be preferable to something as final as kicking them off the team. I would call their parents, tell them that their daughter is not currently going to pass this marking period and it puts her involvement in the dance team in serious jeopardy. I know there are times teens go through "rebellion moments" yet when faced with the consequences do change their behavior before they've gone completely past the point of no return.

I think assuming that both girls are salvageable is your best approach, and let their families' actions and support (or lack thereof) coupled with the students' responses to this confrontation be your guide.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Its an old fashioned word called RESPECT for others. Kids these days just dont have it ; they are not taught it at home and therefore it will never happen.

I feel as if we are doing our boys a disservice trying to teach them to be respectful of others and to treat others as they would like to be treated.
d
Um, excuse me? Boys shouldn't be taught to be respectful? Please explain.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:38 PM

88 posts, read 273,087 times
Default Comment on calling mom

I wonder if a simple "yes" (since it may be an emergency) and then a polite reminder to the students that if they have something to ask, please wait until the next break.

If it were me and I got a note from the office to call my mom, I would be worried and not want to waste a minute in finding out what had happened. I absolutely would have asked if I could leave and make the phonecall - whether someone thought/called me rude would be immaterial to my task at hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education