Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 10:19 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,467,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I do not know of a single secondary school that permits students to roam the halls without a pass. Is that the policy of the school? If so your friend should have asked for a pass before leaving the room. If you are seniors in HS you must be familiar with the the school rules.
We do not need a pass. All you need is permission from the teacher to leave. Normally, other teachers will just take your word if they see you in the hall (if they even care enough to ask). If they really care or if you have a reputation, they might call your teacher to confirm.

Some teachers make you have a pass, though. It's not so much a school policy, but it's up to your teacher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Most schools today give student planners to all students. In the back of the planner, there are pages that have pass information. This info needs to be filled out by the teacher. Being in the hall without the planner can be enough for ISS, especially if the student has had other infractions. There are always rumors about substitutes or certain teachers, but often that information is untrue. No matter, if the student is 18, he knows the rules and needs to behave accordingly as a young adult. Man up and be responsible.
This was not a rumor. The substitute told my class himself that he had too much to drink the night before.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:47 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelcoach View Post
Of course this is valid. A student just walks out of class? That's called skipping class, and ISS is a basic punishment.
I agree. You don't get up and leave the room. Students are supposed to be where their schedules say they are at all times.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:49 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
A student at my school got in-school suspension because he left the room without telling the teacher. The teacher was a substitute and he fell asleep...he said the student could leave but was half asleep so he didn't remember. Shouldn't the teacher get in trouble for sleeping on the job?
Ever heard the saying "Two wrongs don't make a right"? I would recommend getting a pass to leave the room. Then there is no doubt whether or not the student has permission.

I have had students try to tell me I gave them permission to leave the room beause they told me they were leaving only I didn't hear them. They got to spend the day in ISS too. Live and learn. Make sure the teacher signs something saying you can leave. Then there can be no misunderstanding.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:11 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,197,621 times
The reason everyone is asking so many questions about this story is because something about it just doesn't sit well. Frankly, I have a problem with the veracity of this story. Therefore, I do not think it warrants any advice.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:12 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,585,248 times
If what you say is 100% accurate, I would bet there is going to be an investigation. If the investigation confirms the sub fell asleep, I would bet the sub will be removed from the sub list for that campus, and perhaps the district as a whole.

The student received the proper punishment since he/she walked out of class. The only way the student should not receive the punishment would be if he/she went to the administration immediately and reported it.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
We do not need a pass. All you need is permission from the teacher to leave. Normally, other teachers will just take your word if they see you in the hall (if they even care enough to ask). If they really care or if you have a reputation, they might call your teacher to confirm.

Some teachers make you have a pass, though. It's not so much a school policy, but it's up to your teacher.

A secondary school that lets you leave the room without a pass? Really? In this day and age? How do they "call" your teacher to confirm?

Old 07-06-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
A secondary school that lets you leave the room without a pass? Really? In this day and age? How do they "call" your teacher to confirm?
I am not 100% sure of the rules. Maybe we technically need a pass. But I know a lot of teachers that don't make us. All the rooms in my high school have telephones.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:13 PM

That makes sense, cool on the phone in the classrooms!

I was thinking of FERPA and someone buzzing in: excuse me I know Bobby can not be trusted so I just want to check that you let him out in the halls without a pass?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education