U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-21-2008, 09:49 AM

108 posts, read 236,130 times
Default Help! My 4 year old does NOT want to learn!!!

My son is supposed to start school in the fall of 2009. He is 4 years old, and I am so worried that he's not going to be ready. I cannot for the life of me, get him to count or learn his alphabet or almost anything! He knows the basic count to 5, ABC, all his shapes and colors. The detailed things though he just gets so bored with so quickly, no matter how I try to come up with different ways for him to learn! His younger sister, who's 11 months younger has picked up on EVERYTHING and if my son doesn't learn what he needs to soon, he's going to be held back and end up in the same grade as his sister. That worries me long-term for him. Please, please any suggestions on ways to interest his learning????? Help!!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 10:16 AM

81 posts, read 146,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BABsMom View Post
My son is supposed to start school in the fall of 2009. He is 4 years old, and if my son doesn't learn what he needs to soon, he's going to be held back and end up in the same grade as his sister. That worries me long-term for him. Please, please any suggestions on ways to interest his learning????? Help!!!!
whoa...slow down and take a breath....he's 4!! some kids just develop at faster rates than others....if he likes being read to...find books about stuff he is interested and then incorporate counting/alphabet or whatever you can integrate.....but you may be pushing too hard and thats what he is "bored" with....put him in a class room with other kids his age and he will probably be just fine.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:37 AM

16,196 posts, read 14,871,664 times
And girls will pick up that stuff sooner. Little boys like to run and jump and make funny noises not sit around and learn the alphabet. If you're doing a "now it's time for school" he's probably turning off right there. When you're out driving does he pick out signs like "Exxon", or say "there's a "T" on that sign? If he does he's ok, if not it's still no big deal. It sounds as if he's actually about where he should be if he already knows some counting and letters.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:38 AM

901 posts, read 1,751,409 times
I might get flamed for this. But this is research out there that shows that boys tend to develop slower than girls. I would not be too concerned. Support whatever the teacher does when he starts attending school.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:41 AM

2,905 posts, read 4,409,920 times
Does he go to preschool now? Or is he going to go directly into Kindergarten?

If you can send him to preschool, that might help.

Don't worry. My son knew more than most other kids when he entered preschool, and it really doesn't matter at this point (he's in 2nd grade).

I haven't done with my daughter half of what I did with my son, and she is in preschool now and loving it, picking it all up.

I think they will both come out the same, in the long run, and if they aren't it will be for reasons other than one didn't know the alphabet before going to pre-k.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:44 AM

2,905 posts, read 4,409,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam82 View Post
I might get flamed for this. But this is research out there that shows that boys tend to develop slower than girls. I would not be too concerned. Support whatever the teacher does when he starts attending school.
My son is 7 weeks older than my cousins daughter. She was always ahead of him in EVERYTHING. Talked first, walked first, always ahead of him when it comes to reading, writing, etc....

I don't know if it is a girl boy thing or not, but when girls might just be sitting there, my son might be there making goofy noises......

Of course then there's his other female cousin, that while he makes stupid, nonsensical noises, just laughs like it is the funniest comedy she's ever seen. The giggling drives me nuts. It's like dumb and dumber.

So maybe its just the kid after all! lol!

Old 12-21-2008, 11:28 AM

6,945 posts, read 15,802,003 times
I'd say that you have a typical boy.

Mother of three of the out-of-this-world beings. One ended up a doctor, one a computer whiz, and one decided that he wanted to work with his hands and build pretty things. All had IQs waaaayyyy up there, but none of them really liked to learn things. Boring!!!

Old 12-21-2008, 11:48 AM

7,471 posts, read 8,147,441 times
I agree with all of the others that this is a 4 yo boy we're talking about, but if you're worried that he won't be ready for school, you could call them in June and see what he does need to know. Then keep in mind that he's probably a kinesthetic learner--most boys are, and need lots of hands-on activities, so make some up that are physical. You could probably google "kinesthetic learning activities" and come up with a bunch of stuff. But really, you're probably fine--I worried about my second daughter for the same reasons, but I'd check to see if she was ready every now and then, and back off when she wasn't. Then summer just before kindergarten she was finally ready to learn her letters and I ended up teaching her to read--she turned 6 in the September just after she entered K and was reading chapter books by that time, but no way was she ready for any of that at four. Now she's 14 and an excellent student and reads a book faster than anyone I've ever seen.

Another thing you could do--if he'll be one of the youngest kids in his class b/c of the way b-days fall, and you really feel he isn't ready for K, why not just hold him out for an extra year? For some boys, this is a good thing, b/c they need that extra year to mature, and it could do them good in the long run--esp if they are the type that just can't sit still--I'm not talking ADHD here, just active normal boy stuff.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:24 AM

2,481 posts, read 8,538,889 times
You really need to find a more interesting way to help him. If it's let's learn number/letters OR go outside and play, which do you think he'll pick. Think of games, etc that he may find interesting and then help him with those. Also, does he already know things you are going over? For example, if he knows his alphabet, of course he's bored with going over the alphabet! And, like another poster suggested, get him in a half day preschool or something if you are worried. Also, try to "sneak in" education through museums, just sharing random facts, asking "what shape is this" when you are out, etc rather than sitting down and going over everything.'
All of this being said, I really wouldn't worry. I'm sure he's OK!!!

Old 12-22-2008, 10:17 AM

268 posts, read 703,298 times
PLAY. Research has shown that play is an important part of learning. Don't go for structured play either, make it about discovery and fun, the learning will happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education