Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 08:58 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,799,543 times

Advertisements

I almost posted this as a direct reply to a poster in another thread, but I didn't wish to digress from that discussion.

When people talk about an issue and remark "I could care less about ____" shouldn't they really say "I couldn't care less" - afterall, if you could care less then it implies that you have a degree of concern, when in fact you don't.

Quote:
If the man can do the job, I could care less if he buys a piece of paper that says he's smart. Don't get me wrong, I value education, as I am a teacher.
I read this almost everyday on the messageboards and wondered if it was a Charlotte thing, a regional thing...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 09:18 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,545,638 times
I think it is just a commonly misused phrase. Much like saying irregardless, ATM machine, etc. These are not technically correct but everyone knows what they mean.

What drives me nuts is when people incorrectly use the words IS and ARE.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:28 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,282,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I think it is just a commonly misused phrase. Much like saying irregardless, ATM machine, etc. These are not technically correct but everyone knows what they mean.

Two of my pet peeves is 'where' and 'were', and 'there' and 'their'...

Old 01-07-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Thanks for taking the question in the spirit it was intended - I wasn't being pedantic

I just think it's ironic that the misused phrase means the exact opposite of what their feelings are.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:30 AM

769 posts, read 2,214,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
...and your and you're....

Old 01-07-2009, 09:32 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,433,308 times
Quote:

ATM Machine drives me batty!

Megax - I also notice could vs couldn't care less a lot. It's just a common error. It's not a "Charlotte thing" it's a people thing. I've seen speculation that it began as sarcasm and over time became the colloquial term.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:36 AM

677 posts, read 2,230,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
ATM Machine drives me batty!

Megax - It's not a "Charlotte thing" it's a people thing.
If I started hearing "Oh I've got to hit up the AT machine" I'm not sure I'd catch it right off the bat

I just stick with, I need to pull cash out of the ATM

Old 01-07-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
If we're getting into grammatical errors instead of simple everyday misuses, then I'd have to say that a really common mistake is 'use' instead of 'used' eg I use to live in Mint Hill.

I originally thought that it was simply a case of phonetics, but I see it on the messageboards all day long.

After the 3rd or 4th time of making that mistake in her emails, I jokingly brought-up the issue with a good friend of mine. She had been making the mistake for so long that she even claimed that she was right!

Old 01-07-2009, 09:50 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,463,767 times
This is NOT regional! I hear this from people from all over. It is so common that people think it is correct!

There are so many though that have crept into our everyday speech that many don't notice them.

What bothers me more are the HUGE errors, like misuse of past participles!

Things like:

Should have went....
I seen.....

ARGH!

And then, as a PP mentioned, subject/verb agreement sends me over the edge!

Things like:

There's marbles on the floor.

I want to respond with, "Yes, marbles IS on the floor."

And:

"Help me find a nice place to eat for DH and I."

I want to say, "Well, if you help me find a place for I to eat, I can help you with your DH."

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megax View Post
I almost posted this as a direct reply to a poster in another thread, but I didn't wish to digress from that discussion.

When people talk about an issue and remark "I could care less about ____" shouldn't they really say "I couldn't care less" - afterall, if you could care less then it implies that you have a degree of concern, when in fact you don't.

I read this almost everyday on the messageboards and wondered if it was a Charlotte thing, a regional thing...?

Old 01-07-2009, 09:51 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,463,767 times
and they're

Dawn

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education