Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 08:38 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Ditto - and instant messaging, too, though I seldom use it anymore. I capitalize things appropriately, and simply can't bring myself to use stupid abbreviations or drop punctuation.
I have long conversations every night on Messanger with a close friend. I notice that we try to spell things right and puncuate them as well. When it's 3am and we're tired then... But at least when we start out we try to be proper. It may be that both of us value that, but it's also that we want to say our bit where the meaning is clear.

Newspapers really bug me. They no longer have editors. Sometimes it takes someone else to fix the mistakes and we are all less literate because they are no longer considered important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Spellcheck isn't a substitute for knowing how to spell or looking up words to make sure they're spelled correctly. Spellcheck will not correct a word that is being used in the wrong context and therefore the wrong spelling of a homophone. There are words that are not in particular Spellcheck dictionaries. Grammar-checking programs both miss a lot, and try to correct things that are not incorrect. Relying on these programs is not even close to foolproof.
I check for the it's and its meanings by doing a search. In a rush of creativity I don't always remember. There is also their/they're and a few others. I do proof read and if its to be a posted story someone else proofreads it too.

One thing I learned to do is write down the words I frequently misspell. Then when I use them I copy the spelling rather than letting the spell checker fix it. After a while I don't need to.

We can ALL be proactive and teach ourselves to do better. I beta (edit) stories for people. I'm honest but selective. If it's a brand new writer I give them a good list of what needs to be fixed, but remember they are learning. When it's someone who should know, not so gentle. The best way to learn is do, and as they do I expect to see it reflected or its a sign of lazy.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:27 AM

117 posts, read 334,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I check for the it's and its meanings by doing a search. In a rush of creativity I don't always remember. There is also their/they're and a few others. I do proof read and if its to be a posted story someone else proofreads it too.

One thing I learned to do is write down the words I frequently misspell. Then when I use them I copy the spelling rather than letting the spell checker fix it. After a while I don't need to.

We can ALL be proactive and teach ourselves to do better. I beta (edit) stories for people. I'm honest but selective. If it's a brand new writer I give them a good list of what needs to be fixed, but remember they are learning. When it's someone who should know, not so gentle. The best way to learn is do, and as they do I expect to see it reflected or its a sign of lazy.
You're a proofreader? But twice you typed "its" for "it is" (should be: it's).

o

Old 01-28-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellogurl23 View Post
You're a proofreader? But twice you typed "its" for "it is" (should be: it's).

o
Ah, see why you need someone else to check your own?

Old 01-29-2009, 09:47 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
I consider language usage to be as important as dressing well and paying attention to cleanliness and grooming, dressing for the occasion.

It is your first introduction, the first impression that you leave with people, often a yardstick by which they measure you for a prospective future relationship.

It, like your appearance, conveys that you care about yourself, that you pay attention to details, that perhaps the rest of your thinking/decisions may be of interest.

In general, although first impressions can be misleading, no one wishes to be thought of as sloppy or unclean or untrustworthy or ignorant.

Speaking well, like brushing one's teeth, just makes life easier for a person. Most people would rather do it than not.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:34 PM

117 posts, read 334,475 times
Somebody, somewhere asked about "blocks of text" and why I objected. I could not, at that time, find an example, but here is one:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/4862858-post11.html

It's not the content I object to, but not making any paragraph breaks.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:03 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post

Newspapers really bug me. They no longer have editors. Sometimes it takes someone else to fix the mistakes and we are all less literate because they are no longer considered important.
They still have editors (I was one from 2001-2007). But editors aren't proofreaders. They're page designers, choosers of content, writers, columnists. They have a lot on their plates other than straight-up proofreading. Most newpapers used to employ people who strictly proofread, but when cuts needed to be made, those were generally the first positions to go. Trust me, it isn't a matter of your average newspaper editor finding vigilant error detection unimportant, it's a matter of publishers and owners determining that since the majority of the reading public cannot identify most errors, that's a really easy place to cut costs. What you see in newspapers now is largely the result of an industry that is circling the drain and down to skeleton crews.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:44 PM

2,038 posts, read 4,551,924 times
I've been a copy editor for the past seven years. I made a post on one of the threads about being a copy editor and how I only had a high school education. I was editing for highly educated individuals (or so they said). As I was tooting my own horn, the next poster pointed out punctuation errors that I had made in my post. LOL, I guess the best of us still make mistakes.

Having said that, however, I don't correct other posters, I just laugh to myself when I read about how bright, articulate, independent, highly educated, and successful they are and they want me to "here" "there" story.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:56 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
I've been a copy editor for the past seven years. I made a post on one of the threads about being a copy editor and how I only had a high school education. I was editing for highly educated individuals (or so they said). As I was tooting my own horn, the next poster pointed out punctuation errors that I had made in my post. LOL, I guess the best of us still make mistakes.

Having said that, however, I don't correct other posters, I just laugh to myself when I read about how bright, articulate, independent, highly educated, and successful they are and they want me to "here" "there" story.
There are just people who love the language, as a kind of hobby. There are innumerable books written on grammar. A person needn't have a college education to use the language properly, just to have an interest, and hopefully a good teacher in high school.

I heard a spokes person, a teacher herself, for the NY teacher's union. She spoke such horrid English and she was demanding more money. She should have been fired.

A good teacher is worth so much, but there are so many bad ones out there. That woman should have been ashamed of herself. That she was not tells me that her associates were just as bad, or worse.

Only a generation ago the New York public schools were the pride of the country, and it is shameful that they have fallen so far. No wonder the students can't speak. We cannot blame them with such sorry role models.

The country as a whole must raise its standards. If something so obvious as the language, where all can witness your inadequacy, is found wanting, one can only wonder at how well the rest of the syllabus is being taught.

It is no wonder that we are so low on the list of educational competancy when compared with other nations. The US is quickly declining as a world power, I fear, on so many levels.

Obama, I believe, has his heart in the right place, but he cannot do it all alone, and the population that he has to choose from for assistance seem to mostly be found wanting themselves.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:41 PM

2,038 posts, read 4,551,924 times
[quote=goldengrain;7381090]
I heard a spokes person, a teacher herself, for the NY teacher's union. She spoke such horrid English and she was demanding more money. She should have been fired.

When my daughter was in elementary school, she received her report card. The teachers write little blurbs on the bottom about progress, attitude, etc. I was appalled at the spelling and grammer of this one little paragraph. Thank god most teachers use standardized materials to teach the kids. If some of them had to rely on their own intelligence, I think we'd have a nation of illiterates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education