Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 10:33 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,147,178 times

Advertisements

Both of my kids were taught to spell using the "creative" method for K-1st grade. The real theory of invented spelling is to correct mistakes starting in 2nd grade. At that time, they had weekly spelling lists thorough 6th grade. One of my daughters is a great speller, the other is terrible. The bad speller is left-handed and a bit dyslexic, but so is her father and he is a good speller. I won the weekly spelling bees at school. Go figure.

As far as the grammar/spelling police, I can't download the CD spell-checker on my computer, for some reason. So I make the occasional typo and an occasional spelling error. When I'm tired, and wearing my contacts, it's worse. I think it's good to bear with the other posters, they may be having similar problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 06:31 AM

13,248 posts, read 33,345,557 times
I have a great spell checker - I use mozilla firefox browser instead of internet explorer. It points out every single misspelled word and gives you the correct spelling. For frequently spelled words that it detects as misspelled, like names, you can add them to your personal dictionary so they won't continue to come up as misspelled. Firefox web browser | Faster, more secure, & customizable

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:55 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,292,015 times
Hum, a professional letter from my office will be proofed several times. Correspondence from myself to personal friends well be gleaned for grammar.............An anonymous posting to a web blog...........I dont so much as give a hoot............skeeter...............

Old 01-09-2009, 10:25 AM

4,630 posts, read 4,913,256 times
I play spelling/grammar police occasionally. I do it usually to put someone in his place. Someone, for example, who posts extremely judgmental comments but doesn't even spell his words correctly. By calling such a person out, I sort of say, "Hey, clean up your own backyard before you judge other people."

I personally don't think your friend's gross lack of command of the English language is anything to take lightly. Not only will she be judged for it but she's also missing out on the fulfillment that an artful grasp of language can bring. Instead of defending your friend for resting on her laurels and trying to convince us that language isn't important, you should encourage her to use her clearly capable intellect to improve her language skills and thus, her life. I wouldn't be proud of my daughter if she couldn't form a coherent sentence, no matter how much money she made.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:02 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,984,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
A self made millionaire has better things to do and think about besides grammar and spelling.
And a self-made millionaire can also be pretty stupid and not very well-read, as the email shows. The reason spelling matters is that it's easy to tell apart people who read from people who don't. People who read a lot know how basic words like "except" are spelled. People who don't like to look at books without pictures generally spell based on the way words sound, and end up making the same kind of mistakes as in the email. Maybe the OP's friend does have a pHd, but she writes at a grade-school level. If I received an email from her with those kind of misspellings, I wouldn't care what diploma mill gave her a phd - I'd know I was dealing with a fairly unintelligent, poorly read person and I'd move on.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:32 PM

616 posts, read 1,158,376 times
Fanny Flagg, the author of Fried Green Tomatoes, can't spell either. But that shouldn't, nor does it, subtract from her true genius. And, I agree with several of the other posters in regards to the grammar police, and the intent behind their policing.

There just so happens to be a fellow on CD (a self-professed novelist) who loves to belittle anyone who dares to cross him. And he does this by picking apart their grammar, and their sentence structure. The ironic thing about it is that by his having done so, (and also relating stories that he is a great guy) he really just gave proof positve of the truly insensitive, phoney bologna philanthropist, pseudo-Christian, belittling bastard he really was and is.

Gag me with a golden pen!

Last edited by Truly Heartless; 01-09-2009 at 01:06 PM..

Old 01-09-2009, 12:45 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,984,510 times
I agree it can be rude for people to correct others, regardless of whether it's about grammar, spelling, or something else. And I'd agree that picking apart someone's grammar isn't a very effective method of attacking the substance of someone's argument.

Flagg can't spell because she is dyslexic, not because she can't be bothered to learn how to spell words correctly.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:52 PM

616 posts, read 1,158,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptowner View Post
I agree it can be rude for people to correct others, regardless of whether it's about grammar, spelling, or something else. And I'd agree that picking apart someone's grammar isn't a very effective method of attacking the substance of someone's argument.

Flagg can't spell because she is dyslexic, not because she can't be bothered to learn how to spell words correctly.

That would explain the OP's pal. Many people aren't diagnosed until later in life (Cher, etc.).

Old 01-09-2009, 02:30 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,178,998 times
Well, I'm retired so i do't give no kare what anyboddy thniks.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:34 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,953,621 times
There's also a differency between spelling a word wrong (writing definately instead of definitely, for example), or making a typographical error (teh instead of the) and using the wrong word (their instead of there, except instead of accept, etc). An occasional lapse is not a huge deal, but when it's a regular thing, and coupled with a lack of punctuation, the non-use of capital letters, and blatant grammatical errors, it does tend to scream "uneducated!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education