Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 07:48 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,860,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellogurl23 View Post
BTW, not to pick nits, but there is no such word in the English language, "alot." There's the phrase "a lot of" and the word, allot, but no alot.

This is one of the errors that drives me crazy.

I should add, as I mentioned, that my own writing is by no means free of errors, but here is the difference: when someone corrects me, I'm grateful (versus getting angry and defensive).
That is also one of my major pet peeves. Why do people think "alot" is a word, arggghhh!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 07:56 PM

117 posts, read 333,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
That is also one of my major pet peeves. Why do people think "alot" is a word, arggghhh!!!
Thank you.

On a somewhat related tangent, another thing that drives me absolutely nuts is the constant use of "you know." Why do sports interviewees do this constantly?

I sat in one class at a state school, one of those evening, doctoral programs for teachers, and the use of "you know" "I mean" and a host of other phrases of this type, were used so often I just sat there, making cross marks every time these things were said. One evening's class resulted in over a thousand of these hatch marks.

Hillary Clinton did this in the course of an informal interview once: I counted something like 47 "you know's" in the course of a five minute interview. I actually emailed her and told her she needed to lose the "you knows."

I'm sorry, but I simply cannot take anyone seriously who is so unconscious they use these phrases constantly.

In terms of format, another is people who write great long paragraphs of stuff in forums, and don't do paragraph breaks. That's equivalent to the psychological makeup of someone who is constantly late, as if their presence is so important, everyone needs to wait for them. I simply will not read something if it's very, very long, and no paragraph breaks.

Oh, and another one which drives me crazy is the use of elisions...people who write like this...which indicates to me they're ....smoking something...which keeps them from thinking...properly.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Do people from another country who are learning English qualify as good enough to associate with you??
I really think that's an entirely different matter, and depends entirely on the circumstances. But if they're in an academic setting, they're still expected to write correctly. Otherwise, it's a different issue.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Famous people with dyslexia link.

Famous People who are Dyslexic or had Dyslexia

I'm not convinced that the entry about da Vinci is correct:

Leonardo Da Vinci - Leonardo di ser Piero da Vinci, (April 15, 1452 – May 2, 1519) was a Tuscan polymath: scientist, mathematician, engineer, inventor, anatomist, painter, sculptor, architect, botanist, musician and writer. As an engineer, Leonardo conceived ideas vastly ahead of his own time, conceptualising a helicopter, a tank, concentrated solar power, a calculator, and the double hull, and outlining a rudimentary theory of plate tectonics. He also had the gift of dyslexia. Most of the time, he wrote his notes backwards. Although unusual, this is a trait shared by many left-handed dyslexic people. Most of the time, dyslexic writers are not even consciously aware that they are writing this way.
I have read that da Vinci wrote backwards to hide the nature of some of his observations (e.g., the examination of corpses for artistic purposes) because it would have gotten him into a lot of trouble with the Catholic authorities.

And anyway, they mispelled "conceptualizing."

Old 01-11-2009, 09:24 PM

5,978 posts, read 19,828,475 times
Quote:
Oh, and another one which drives me crazy is the use of elisions...people who write like this...which indicates to me they're ....smoking something...which keeps them from thinking...properly.
Not to be nitpicky, but did you really mean ellipsis, the three dots or so you refer to above?

This link actually says "not to be confused with elision"
Ellipsis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-11-2009, 09:33 PM

8,583 posts, read 15,948,472 times
Quote:
I'm not convinced that the entry about da Vinci is correct:
Leonardo Da Vinci - Leonardo di ser Piero da Vinci, (April 15, 1452 – May 2, 1519) was a Tuscan polymath: scientist, mathematician, engineer, inventor, anatomist, painter, sculptor, architect, botanist, musician and writer. As an engineer, Leonardo conceived ideas vastly ahead of his own time, conceptualising a helicopter, a tank, concentrated solar power, a calculator, and the double hull, and outlining a rudimentary theory of plate tectonics. He also had the gift of dyslexia. Most of the time, he wrote his notes backwards. Although unusual, this is a trait shared by many left-handed dyslexic people. Most of the time, dyslexic writers are not even consciously aware that they are writing this way.
I have read that da Vinci wrote backwards to hide the nature of some of his observations (e.g., the examination of corpses for artistic purposes) because it would have gotten him into a lot of trouble with the Catholic authorities.

And anyway, they mispelled "conceptualizing."
It is against forum rules to cut and paste copyrighted material.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:36 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,253,590 times
I was a professional writer and editor for years, and while I don't correct anybody's stuff on forums (unless I'm retaliating in the wake of rude behavior, just to be a snot ) I definitely notice it. There's no way I wouldn't. And, yeah, I do judge people...I'm not going to lie. Poor spelling, improper grammar usage and the like are most often the result of laziness. I now work with developmentally disabled kids, and I don't tolerate academic laziness from them, either. If my profoundly disabled students can, in most cases, spell properly the majority of the time, I've got no patience for people without those challenges who don't write properly simply because they don't care to. People who are apathetic about properly communicating fail to impress me.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:49 AM

1,813 posts, read 2,835,434 times
If English is not your first language, fine. If you have a learning disability that gives you difficulty with grammar and spelling, fine. However, if neither of these applies to you, and there is not some other great excuse, you are making yourself look like a moron if you do not spell and write correctly. It is one of the most basic parts of life. If you can't do algebra, trig, etc. in school, it will most likely not be noticed by anyone when you graduate. People will always see your writing. People may laugh, but more importantly, they might not understand your message.

It kills me that everywhere I go I see the dreaded "alot" (it PAINS me to write that) and the apostrophes placed anywhere like they are dandelion seed. Are English teachers not even making sure students get this stuff right anymore? When I was in school we had to memorize this stuff, and worse. I'm so glad I had the teachers I did.

Please, universe, learn it, love it, live it.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Not to be nitpicky, but did you really mean ellipsis, the three dots or so you refer to above?

This link actually says "not to be confused with elision"
Ellipsis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thank you! Wonder how long I've been making that mistake?

Old 01-12-2009, 07:18 AM

41,704 posts, read 74,645,479 times
Quote:
Yes..and how can a blind person attend college when they cannot read the books...or how does a physically disabled person go to college if they cannot take all the PE requirements. My..My...
Apples and oranges. Next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education