U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2009, 03:35 PM

557 posts, read 2,322,362 times

Advertisements

I want to learn some basic Arabic with focusing more on the the written language. Can anyone recommend a particular company's self-study plan which is not purely conversational?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 03:39 PM

55,665 posts, read 74,620,384 times
one of the hardest languages to learn as an adult. i try for written only. speak only baby words and expressions. "arabic for the complete dummy". humiliating isnt it.
very few have succeeded. noteworthy would be the great scholar raymond lull (1525 majorca). there are several languages not too tough to learn as an adult, this is definitely not one of them.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:28 PM

557 posts, read 2,322,362 times
Yes, Arabic is known to be one of the most difficult languages but certainly one of the most descriptive. I thought Farsi was challenging 15 years ago (I'm now into my 50s)--retraining the mind to read a foreign alphabet and writing/reading from right to left was akin to being in kindergarten/first grade learning language skills for the first time. Then 5 years ago attempted Norwegian thinking "okay, this should be easier since I studied German--wrong!" True, the younger the brain is, the easier to learn a new language--but the older we are, the more we need to exercise the brain!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education