Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2009, 10:40 PM

470 posts, read 1,162,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlaT2 View Post
Don't you think though that by making it so "special" it might be putting the first seed of racism into some of the kids heads? My daughter was asking why everyone was making such a big deal about the fact that a black man won the Presidency. It never entered her head it was in any way unusual until all the uproar about it. I wish it would tone down a bit, that's all. I would have felt the same about a woman.
Oh, well.
Maybe you could teach her about the whole slaves thing, and civil rights movement . It's all nice and dandy that kids today are brought up the way you do yours but they should still learn about American history.

Alot of people here are not giving enough credit to kids lol, I am pretty sure most if not all who saw it live on TV will remember it since it will prob. be talked about in history books and in general from now on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 12:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,342 times
Default shouldn't be mandatory to watch...

My kids are both in middle school, and were told that they had to watch the "historical event" when they got to class today. IMO it should have been mandatory to get parental permission, just as we have to give permission for sex ed and AIDS classes.

As expected, the teachers did not like that my son, and one other student, did not want to watch it, and didn't like that they have their own opinions on Obama. They were told that they needed to be quiet and watch. I don't care that this is a "historical event" and I don't care what color he is. If a white guy had been elected, it would have been yet another school day, and kids would not have been forced to watch. That is what makes me mad.

If a parent would like their kids to see this stuff, then they can record it and watch it on their own time. If the teacher was to show snipets of it in a history class, that would be different, but to take up a few hours of school time, no way. If I had known that it was going to be forced on my kids, then I would have kept them home from school.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:18 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
Remember Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas? His appointment to the Supreme Court should have been just as major a historical event as Obama's election as president. However, the press and some historical scholars refused to do so because he was a conservative black man instead of a liberal black man. Obama is a liberal and the press "selected" him as their candidate before the Democratic Party Primaries. Had President Obama been a conservative Republican they would have viciously attacked him on every little thing. They would have sent teams of lawyers and reporters to Kenya, Hawaii, and Chicago to dig up any little dirt on him or his family (see Sarah Palin for example). They would have called him stupid for his many campaign flubs including his visiting "57 states" (see GW Bush for example). But because he was their candidate, they looked the other way. In football it's more classy to score a touchdown and act like it's just another day in the office rather than celebrate like a child. Tuesday's celebrations weren't about the start of President Obama's administration. It was all about race. That is wrong. I ask you teachers, did any of you put out a TV for your students for any of the past presidential inaugurations? Our local news reported that several schools were showing the live coverage for the first time ever and only because he's black. Racism.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:32 AM

A better solution would be for the US History or Civics teacher to video tape the event, play it in the class, and use it for a discussion.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:09 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
I don't see the problem with having children witness a historical event such as this. I have to wonder if most people know more about their favorit sit com characters, then their political leaders. One thing this election has done is create an environment where more Americans are politically aware. I remember reading a news article during Bush's first term where every person interviewed didn't know who Richard Cheney was. I just hope that as a country we keep the momentum going. Political big wigs should have the eye of the American public on them.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:41 AM

I don't mind public school teachers educating their students on how our government works and who are the major politicians in our government. I just don't want them to indoctrinate them towards the political leanings of the educator giving the lesson.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:17 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2mandms View Post
My kids are both in middle school, and were told that they had to watch the "historical event" when they got to class today. IMO it should have been mandatory to get parental permission, just as we have to give permission for sex ed and AIDS classes.

As expected, the teachers did not like that my son, and one other student, did not want to watch it, and didn't like that they have their own opinions on Obama. They were told that they needed to be quiet and watch. I don't care that this is a "historical event" and I don't care what color he is. If a white guy had been elected, it would have been yet another school day, and kids would not have been forced to watch. That is what makes me mad.

If a parent would like their kids to see this stuff, then they can record it and watch it on their own time. If the teacher was to show snipets of it in a history class, that would be different, but to take up a few hours of school time, no way. If I had known that it was going to be forced on my kids, then I would have kept them home from school.
I'm still surprised at the anger in this thread. Whether a child agrees or disagrees with what's being taught, it's disrespectful not to pay attention. Of course the teacher wanted them to be quiet and pay attention, what else would be expected?

Oh well, the election is over and Obama is now the Nation's president. I think he deserves our respect as President. I did not vote for Bush, but I did respect his position of office and I think that's an important point to make to our kids.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:22 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,510,059 times
I saw it at school and I did not burst into a ball of flames

Old 01-21-2009, 07:13 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
The upshot of this thread is that regardless of what the schools did, plenty of people were going to be upset. Nice position to be in.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:27 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2mandms View Post

So your objection is because of who it is, not the fact they were expected to watch it. I think you're giving yourself too much credit.

I'm absolutely certain your son and only one other were NOT the only people who have their own opinion about Obama. And Where did your son gain this opinion???? FROM YOU ! ! ! ! ! So he's simply parroting.

Obama is not a bad person, and may not be a bad president, but I believe now is not the right time for him. That would not, however, excuse my children from participating in watching the inauguration with their school.

Likening the inauguration of our country's president to sex ed or AIDS classes is ludicrous. Try not being so hateful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education