Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 02:45 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
No, it isnt the only way she can express herself but it is the way she is choosing to and as long as doing that doesnt interfere with the rights of others than she should be able to do that.

No, obviously her dreams and aspirations arent squashed but it could give her and other children the impression that they have to fit a certain mold and have no right to express themselves. I dont know about you but that scares me. I dont want to live in a world where everyone has the same colored hair, eyes, and everyone where's khaki clothes.

I just dont see how you or anyone else can make an argument against an innocent little girl doing something like putting some pink in her hair. We live in the most free country in the world. That right should be a given.
Kids aren't free. They're subject to all kids of extra rules we adults put on them.

I like the suggestion that the parents tell the girl she can dye her hair pink in the summer, when she's not in school. Any responsible adult knows that there's a time and place for everything. That doesn't make us the Brave New World drones you make us out to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 02:58 PM

272 posts, read 730,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
It's against the rules at some schools for kids to wear plain white T-shirts!
Plain white T-shirts are called "wife-beaters" in the rap/gangsta culture, if you can call it a culture.

Still, if wearing one is enough to disrupt education then obviously the problem lies elsewhere.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:01 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,582,900 times
Quote:
I think it is very unfair to that child to automatically assume that because she is coloring her hair that she is rebelling or is trying to get attention. That is an extremely close-minded attitude to have.
Call me a conformist.

Quote:
It just maybe that she likes to express herself in that manner and has no desire to rebel or get attention.
Maybe she's an attention hog and this expresses that trait.

Quote:
Take the blinders off, life is much more fund when you do.
Think whatever you want. She's one student in a school with hundreds more. They have standards of conduct to follow that allow the proper flow of information and maintenance of the proper atmosphere. She (and her parents) have for some crazy reason decided that she's an exception.

She isn't.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:06 PM

I know it's wrong, but I get the biggest kick out of posts like this one.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:30 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,998,503 times
Quote:
Kids aren't free. They're subject to all kids of extra rules we adults put on them..
I agree. However, those extra rules are for their safety and well-being. This situation had nothing to do with her well-being or safety. It is a rule that does nothing but tell a child she cant express herself for no good reason.

Quote:
I like the suggestion that the parents tell the girl she can dye her hair pink in the summer, when she's not in school. Any responsible adult knows that there's a time and place for everything. That doesn't make us the Brave New World drones you make us out to be.

I agree there is a time and place for everything but coloring your hair is something anyone should be able to do anytime they want.

Do you only do your hair on the weekends or in the summer? I bet you do it every single day. How is this any different?

Old 02-02-2009, 03:31 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,998,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Call me a conformist.

Maybe she's an attention hog and this expresses that trait.

Think whatever you want. She's one student in a school with hundreds more. They have standards of conduct to follow that allow the proper flow of information and maintenance of the proper atmosphere. She (and her parents) have for some crazy reason decided that she's an exception.

She isn't.

I hear China is nice this time of year, it sounds like you would fit in well there.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
I agree. However, those extra rules are for their safety and well-being. This situation had nothing to do with her well-being or safety. It is a rule that does nothing but tell a child she cant express herself for no good reason.

I agree there is a time and place for everything but coloring your hair is something anyone should be able to do anytime they want.

Do you only do your hair on the weekends or in the summer? I bet you do it every single day. How is this any different?
My hair looks the same every day, pretty much. How about this analogy? My husband and I have business dress codes at our offices, which we follow. At home in the evenings or on the weekends, we wear what we want. Same with our children. Their schools have dress codes, and our son's school has uniforms. They all follow the dress codes and get to express themselves on weekends ... within reason. My older daughter is in middle school and is not allowed to wear anything she likes. Mom and Dad have veto power. I don't care whether wearing a belly top or having her bra or underwear hanging out of her clothes is cool or how she wants to express herself--it's not happening.

By the way, I feel that "you can't have pink hair because it's distracting and against the rules" is a perfectly valid reason. A valuable lesson in life is that the world does not revolve around us and our whims.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
A valuable lesson in life is that the world does not revolve around us and our whims.
Certainly not the world, but some things do just that. And now this little girl is well on the way to learning that big issues form around the most petty and insignificant things. I know you'll say that it's not petty and insignificant, but it is.

I'd be interested to know how well this child is doing in school. Good grades, bad grades? And I'd like to see what happens to those grades by next school year.

Adults should be cautious against unintended results.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampwolf View Post
Certainly not the world, but some things do just that. And now this little girl is well on the way to learning that big issues form around the most petty and insignificant things. I know you'll say that it's not petty and insignificant, but it is.

I'd be interested to know how well this child is doing in school. Good grades, bad grades? And I'd like to see what happens to those grades by next school year.

Adults should be cautious against unintended results.
I'm curious. Do you agree with the poster who said that kids who are distracted by this girl's hair should just get over it? Why shouldn't this girl simply get over it? (We're talking theoretically, now. The article posted makes it sound like the pink-haired girl is getting over it and plans to return to school with her normal hair color.) What lesson are those children being taught?

If this girl's grades fall dramatically because she cannot have pink hair, she has some serious issues.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:36 PM

There's no really satisfying solution, is there.

I will say that if the other students' grades fall because one of their classmates has pink hair, their lives are likely to be difficult indeed.

So in answer to your question, yes.

It might do well to learn the difference between disruptive and provocative. Provocative is the important issue in such matters. How can colored hair be provocative, except to those who really should get over it?

"In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education