Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your level of education?
High School 12 14.12%
Associate's Degree 14 16.47%
Bachelor's Degree 28 32.94%
Master's Degree 15 17.65%
M.D. 1 1.18%
Law 2 2.35%
Other post graduate education 8 9.41%
Ph.D. 4 4.71%
Special Certifications 1 1.18%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 11:45 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,783,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Wisteria, I think you forgot to add the PhD category.
Oh, no, I had that on there, originally! I went back to edit, and by the time I clicked, it was gone. I still don't know how to get in there and add or delete again -- I couldn't find a way to get back onto it. Anyone else know? I didn't notice that it had been deleted after I edited. I'm sorry -- it was supposed to be there. I'll go on the forum board and maybe I can somehow get in and add it. If you have a Ph.D., please do mention it!! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2007, 12:54 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,258,704 times
Well, I started out at LeMoyne College in Syracuse, NY at 17 - fresh from Mom's apron strings. Decided I needed to get married at 18, so I dropped out. I think that's about the only thing in life that I regret having done. Anyway, years later, I started working as the Secretary to the VP at Mater Dei College in my home town. Classes were free, so I started taking them. I left there and transferred my credits to a community college in the SUNY system, where I graduated in '92 - 20 years after graduating high school. That was the joke at the time. Pattie's a little slow - it took her 20 years to graduate from a 2 year college. That's ok. Life taught me a lot more than college ever will, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Old 03-15-2007, 03:59 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,718,084 times
I have a Bachelor's degree in Journalism and Theology. I'm preparing for the GRE so I can get my master's degree in Strategic Communications.

Last edited by Hoosier; 03-15-2007 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: cause I can

Old 03-15-2007, 04:29 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,783,772 times
Default Poll now has the others added!!

Our kind moderator, Markablue, was kind enough to go in and add the other options of Ph.D. and Special Certifications to the poll -- thank you!!

Old 03-15-2007, 04:45 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,207,396 times
let's see, where do i start, alot of mileage in my career paths.
i worked very hard on a lobster-boat ...so, i earned my "masters" in lobster-baiting.
next, my career path took a jump and i worked at a slaughterhouse, i earned the highly coveted title of "master-boner" (could bone a carcass faster than anyone(without cutting myself)
after acheiving all i could at the slaughterhouse, i worked at retail, at a supermarket, was a butcher, and quickly became a meat dept. manager.
earning two retail degrees, "master-butcher" and "train the trainer certificates"
the supermarket, put me thru college (free, at night) and i earned a b.s. in business admin.
after gettin a formal education, i advanced to another company, as a supervisor. which in turn, they put me thru many certification, trainer classes.
while working as a retail supervisor, and developing new commercial businesses, i met many commercial brokers, and ,,thought to myself, i can do that! so, i studied, real estate took a class, passed that (got licensed) then passed my associate license class(license).
after writing this, ya know, it really doesnt matter, the letters, next to your name, or title, the most i learn, was in the school of hard knocks, early on, tho i hated it at the time, i worked with some of the hardest workers i've ever seen, they'd never call in sick, never complain, always full speed ahead, didnt waste time gossiping, and took the time to properly train someone(thats worth training) and tho most weren't formerly educated, they were the smartest folks i've met.

Old 03-15-2007, 05:33 PM

I have to agree, mainebrokerman. I've met some pretty smart people whose formal education was minimal and, on the flip side, some pretty "stupid" people who have 37 pairs of initials after their names. Present company excluded, of course. :-)

Old 03-15-2007, 05:40 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,207,396 times
nomore,,when i was a trainer in retail, the company would hire "retail management trainees" they were the chosen ones, the golden boys and girls, fresh out of college, on a fast track thru the company,,,,,and yes, some were very bright, but many, my god, dont know how they got thru business college, didnt know the basics, (four didnt know how to figure a gross margin... or payroll percent..wtf???)

Old 03-15-2007, 05:44 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,114,518 times
Nice to have it added. Now what a Ph.D. can do for one doesn't seem to be much more than good common sense and the ability to read and write.

Mine hasn't improved me much more than lobstering, woodworking, or any other life experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Our kind moderator, Markablue, was kind enough to go in and add the other options of Ph.D. and Special Certifications to the poll -- thank you!!

Old 03-15-2007, 05:44 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,443,479 times
Oh shoot. I never use those darn initials anyway. But I don't care, I'm gonna get me some more.

Old 03-15-2007, 05:57 PM

Oh, absolutely, Ellie, go for it. I'm just saying that some folks don't really pay attention in college and waste all that $$ on an education and, unfortunately, many colleges, while they do a great job with history, literature, math, etc., don't do enough for life skills. I work with a young lady who has a Bachelors in Counseling. She has absolutely no financial smarts, can't balance a check book and at 30 already has herself so far in debt she'll never get out. I wish they'd offer mandatory classes in things like that.

Sorry; didn't mean for anyone to think that I don't believe in education. I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education