Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your level of education?
High School 12 14.12%
Associate's Degree 14 16.47%
Bachelor's Degree 28 32.94%
Master's Degree 15 17.65%
M.D. 1 1.18%
Law 2 2.35%
Other post graduate education 8 9.41%
Ph.D. 4 4.71%
Special Certifications 1 1.18%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 05:38 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,156,581 times

Advertisements

Hoosier could you please close your eyes when you read one of my posts???
I'm particularly bad at repeating like "do you really, really think that?

Hey guess what, I used to be the managing editor for a basic science journal and had to do some editing also. Worked hand in hand with Lippincott at that time. I was really, really (hahaha) good at telling authors which way their illustrations had to sit on the page or that they had to get rid of some.

That was a long time ago so I am sure I've ruined my reputation by now. It was sooooo boring.

I did know that "30" should be "thirty" when starting a sentence.
How 'bout 20????

Last edited by vpcats; 03-18-2007 at 05:39 PM.. Reason: BAD BAD contraction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2007, 06:12 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,717,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Hoosier could you please close your eyes when you read one of my posts???
I'm particularly bad at repeating like "do you really, really think that?

Hey guess what, I used to be the managing editor for a basic science journal and had to do some editing also. Worked hand in hand with Lippincott at that time. I was really, really (hahaha) good at telling authors which way their illustrations had to sit on the page or that they had to get rid of some.

That was a long time ago so I am sure I've ruined my reputation by now. It was sooooo boring.

I did know that "30" should be "thirty" when starting a sentence.
How 'bout 20????
Ha! No worries!! I repeat myself too when I'm posting. When I'm writing at work or freelance I mind my p's and q's with proper writing. I was going to mention the usage of the word "very" but too much red going on that I didn't want to get it lost in there. The word "very' is simply put, a lazy word that people put into their writing when they don't want to think of a strong adjective. Many times you can leave the "very" out of the sentence, not include an adjective and it will read much, much, much stronger!

Wow, managing editor, now that is a great position. I've been told so many times, cut the copy...it's too long! My response..."but it's so good, you will lose so much if you cut it." Alas, it was cut. Since becoming an editor I completely understand the need for cutting copy. I found talking to writers was so difficult. I encountered some very holier than thou attitudes and I was nice and professional to them and offered that they could take the article to another publication. A few writers took me up on my suggestion...and boy was I ever glad they did. Primadonnas!

And regarding your question about numbers. Anytime a sentence starts with a number is should be spelled out. I've used both AP style guide and Chicago Manual of Style and much prefer AP.

I've recently stuck my foot back into the professional "get up every morning and trudge to work" world. I took a three and a half year hiatus to start a freelance business while I took care of my kids. The experience was wonderful, but being back to work is so nice. It's nice to have other adults to talk to instead of kids all day.

Old 03-18-2007, 07:19 PM

500 posts, read 2,859,330 times
Hoosier,

All that was really sad.

Fanatically dissecting an unrelated post of mine to basically say nothing and find no grammatical errors.

Answering a real-estate post in a post about education.

Getting personal and calling me names.

Completely misunderstanding my buying-renting post and using it to question my Americanness (by the way, didn't I tell you "Spain is my ex-country", "I am a proud American now" and so on?)

You may disagree with me and that is fine. But saying the likes of:

"Don't look down your nose at Americans because we are not living up to your personal standards"

is pure paranoia and a gratuitous attack. Or did I get so many positive reputation points on that buying-renting post for being an "arrogant foreigner attacking America's values"?

Was I talking about you? Am I allowed to express an opinion? Are you able to discuss opinions and thoughts in a civilized manner, respecting views that may differ from yours?

Are you... OK, Hoosier?

Too bad you turned a funny bunch of posts on misspellings and language into an uncalled-for "with-me-or-against-me", "you-foreigner-hate-America" tirade.

Awfully sad!

Old 03-18-2007, 08:29 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,717,788 times
While you say they were all fun posts, you don't realize that you are coming across as an arrogant know-it-all. You have ragged on people for their misspellings and lack of care for the English language. Sorry but I don't see all of them as fun posts.

In regards to my comments about your post from the other thread, it's my opinion. I did not say you aren't entitled to your opinion. If you received positive rep points for the post then wonderful. All I'm saying is that I take offense to your opinion of America. When I lived in your country, Spain, for two years I made it a policy to treat everyone and the way of life with respect. At times I didn't understand why some things were done the way they were over there, but I respected the culture. I may not have agreed with everything, but I respected the people and really enjoyed my entire time there.

Getting back to education. You also challenged anyone to find any errors in your 285 posts. I just found a post from a different thread since I figured all 285 weren't in this thread.

I'm just sayin!

Old 03-18-2007, 09:44 PM

500 posts, read 2,859,330 times
you don't realize that you are coming across as an arrogant know-it-all

Sorry for being intelligent! But don't be jealous...

Hoosier, don't you realize you come across as a suppressor of free speech?

Alright, I understand. You are not a friend of dissent.

How dared I mention America's mortgage crisis? Who am I, irritating foreigner me, to criticize America's wobbly spelling?

I must be a terrorist for thinking differently than you!

This rhetoric sounds familiar...

Have a good night, OK? Easy.

Last edited by Manhattan-ite; 03-18-2007 at 10:02 PM.. Reason: missing word

Old 03-19-2007, 04:00 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,745,034 times
Hoosier......I love your posts......you are my kind of person!!!!

Old 03-19-2007, 04:31 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,489,416 times
Hoosier- I too love your posts. I tried to give you a reputation point, but obviously I gave you one before because it wants me to spread the love. I also had said I make mistakes, not due to lack of knowledge, but due to quick typing and not caring to go back and reread and fix....despite someone disagreeing with another poster regarding that, and saying that we should be setting an example, yaddayadda.

This is not real life right not to me! I will set an example in my work, as I do each day! Each day at work and each day when I am out in public (run into students all the time), I am an example....have to conduct myself in teacher manner no matter what. I refuse to have to do that while I am having fun online.

Someone's opinion (not fact) I have to....and we all know what opinions are.

I choose not to. My choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education