Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 10:42 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,433,997 times

Advertisements

Group work prepares you for life. What good is a college degree if you can't work with others because of being THAT shy? You need to get over your fear and just talk to people, what's the worst that could happen? They say no, big deal.

I say enroll in an Public speaking class or something to get over this fear before it hinders you in your lifelong career path.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 11:06 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,329,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Tell the instructor. Have them put you in a group. Just sit there.

That's what I do. I HATE GROUP SCENARIOS. So I silently protest by not participating other than to "be present".

Sounds like you need to work on your shyness too. If you are that shy in college, how are you going to get a job someday?

20yrsinBranson

And I'm sure everyone else in your group hates to carry your dead weight.

The point of college is to grow yourself as a person. You can't be successful in very many careers or in life, for that matter, if you can't interact with people.

OP: I'm not being snide, but is it possible you have social anxiety disorder? This might be worth talking to someone about, addresses it will increase the quality of other facets of your life. The real world involves human interaction.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:27 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,127,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-minutes-II View Post
......and I don't have anyone to work with. I am the only person not in a group. I am way too shy and the thing is that 20% of the grade comes from the group project. Any suggestions?
Class projects mean that ALL students join a group or be assigned to a group. In my classes all students are given a written expectation of their assignments.

We discuss this at length during the first class and during a 15 minute break those students who have not already requested a group to join after the 15 minutes I assign them to a group. Period.

Online teaching is considered "fast track" and 6-8 week classes is no time to think about teams. Just ask for a team if they would like you to join because you are good at Excel, Word, or even research. That is what usually brings a team to say "Hey please come with us".

Classromm study is generaly performed in the same fashion but the time is almost twice as long as the Online classess I teach so I give them till the beginning of next class. .

Old 03-04-2009, 02:35 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,755,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Tell the instructor. Have them put you in a group. Just sit there.

That's what I do. I HATE GROUP SCENARIOS. So I silently protest by not participating other than to "be present".

20yrsinBranson
I've had losers like you in my college groups. I'd talk to the instructor and have your butt out of the group so fast you wouldn't know what hit you, and I'd make sure all the other groups knew that you were a slacker. I don't know anyone that LIKES group scenarios, but you don't have to make it worse for everyone.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:37 PM

367 posts, read 1,023,851 times
Quote:
I am in colllege. I still am way too shy to do that.
go see your professor. your professor could help to initiate an introduction.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:40 AM

1,570 posts, read 2,069,629 times
So last thursday I went to several groups and they all said no or they just ignored me. Now I've got no idea what to do. There is I think only one group left and they already have the requirement of two or three members. So do I just continue with the class and hope to pass anyways?

Old 03-10-2009, 11:14 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Just close your eyes and pretend you are typing on CD...but talk...

Old 03-10-2009, 11:56 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
Quote:
So last thursday I went to several groups and they all said no or they just ignored me. Now I've got no idea what to do. There is I think only one group left and they already have the requirement of two or three members. So do I just continue with the class and hope to pass anyways?
Good for you for trying, you made the effort. I'd go ahead and ask the last group and if they say no or ignore you, I'd go to the professor and let him/her know your situation. I'd tell the professor that no openings were available in any group and ask what options you have to complete the assignment. The professor should make available some sort of accommodation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education