Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the rapidly increasing drop out rate a result of tougher standards for High School?
Yes, they have made it so only academics survive 3 17.65%
no, there is no link between tougher standards and high school dropout rates 14 82.35%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 11:24 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,343,192 times

Advertisements

not to sound like a total b*tch, but if kids are dropping out due to tougher standards, is that really a bad thing? I know there are kids who drop out for reasons not having to do w/ academics (hell, I was almost a high school drop out due to personal issues, but I made it through) and these kids should get more help, but if a kid can't succeed in high school academically, why give them a diploma? I think standards should actually be higher and more comprehensive (for example, I wish schools would bring back vocational classes so kids that can't excel in subjects like math and aren't college material have a decent backup). I definitely agree w/ HS exit exam; there was a report I read a while ago that stated that lots of high school grads are ending up in remedial classes when they first get to college, even when going to a community college.

the job standards need to be lowered. what I mean by this is that you don't need a high school diploma to do an entry level retail or food service job and you don't need a BA to be a secretary. so many jobs are requiring BA when a generation ago, a HS diploma may have been enough. if fewer kids are graduating from high school, this will hopefully compel employers to look beyond a degree when hiring low level workers. again, you don't need a BA to man a cash register (I work in retail and my boss is now considering only hiring college grads for some BS reason. this job is not rocket science).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 11:30 PM

367 posts, read 1,023,718 times
I think much of it has to do with less emphasis on studies and more tolerance on laziness. kids are pro's when it comes to video games but when it comes to getting them to do their homework and going to school and participating, it's become a contest. I don't know if it is a lack of parental involvement or that teachers just aren't doing what is needed to get kids to learn but without a proper education, what kind of life are they setting themselves up for?

Old 02-26-2009, 12:01 AM

715 posts, read 2,086,896 times
A childs fate in Academics is pretty much sealed after elementary years.

If a child starts failing within the early years its pretty much a done deal with how they turn out when they get to highschool (generally speaking).

With the over exposure of sports, its seems to take presidence over academic activities. Schools and parents alike take the responsability on that one.

What i dont understand is the failing of society of understanding that Academics is harder to attain but is a must if their child is to prospore and mature in their adult life. So it is here that the center of focus should be.

Ofcouse everyone wants to do sports, it is afterall, Fun! and its pretty much easier to master because even after so much repititions it doesnt really lose much of the fun element, especially team sports.

Persevering with laying the academic foundation of a child from k-4th grade could be just what it takes in securing their love and appreciation of subjects such as math & english, i think parents should be pushing their kids in doing nothing but their best in those key subjects. Once the motion is firmly in place, only then could kids could be given an activity programme they think they will enjoy.

My own 1st grader whines to me (on a few occasions), why does his friends get to do fun sports and gets the latest PS3's and Wii's when he's subjected to doing extra curriculor subjects like math and english. And so i tell him how it is. That video console games are nothing but a distraction. Sports we will do another time when i feel confident he's got the hang of things i want him to master, academics.

I was'nt much of an academic until i got into the latter years of highschool but i knuckled down and worked twice as hard in order to keep up and it was then that i said to myself, that if i ever have kids, i will not leave it to fate to seal their destiny or for the world to literally shape their future. I wont let them go through the same uphill i had to endure.

Here and now, i am fulfilling that promise. Will i permit him to do sports in the future? i cant wait! everyday its like an anti climax, but i must be patient and take care of whats really important. Taking diligent care of my kids future.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:34 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
Because kids aren't forced to learn...too much feel good and self esteem stuff. How about 'Anything less than a B and the Xbox goes in the toilet'.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:47 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
Way too many generalizations on this thread for my taste. We don't have a higher drop out rate from years past in the schools my son attends. In fact, when I did a google search for drop out rates, it seems to vary pretty widely across the country; state to state and even area to area. So the premise itself may be wrong. I'd like to see a recent article showing that the nationwide drop-out rate is higher.

As to the question regarding the rigor of schools today and in "the past", I think the standards are lower but the opportunities are much greater. I don't think my High School even offered AP classes and if they did I doubt it was more then two or three. My kids are not only able to take AP classes but dual credit classes right at the High School, Classes on-line through the local CC, classes AT the Community Colleges or for the strongest students classes at our local four year universities including Lehigh.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:54 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,327,357 times
Do you mean "Are tougher academic standards adding to the High School dropout rate?"

Old 02-26-2009, 02:31 PM

542 posts, read 1,449,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
The standards are getting higher? Really? Have you even looked at the no child left behind bill?

If our standards are getting higher than why are our kids still some of the dumbest when compared to other industrialized nations?

standards and results are two seperate subjects. there are very few countries that compare to the americans.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:03 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,785,443 times
Well in my state, a school was said to have a high drop out rate but the state was also factoring in students who transfer, which can be particularly high, depending on the circumstances.

In any case, I think high standards can be to blame but there are lots of factors.
I had a friend who dropped out because of serious family issues. She's very bright and regretted dropping out but I think she'll find her way to college. She just seems to have had a very "unlucky" life, for lack of a better term. I also know there are people who have a bad life but persevere.

The most common reason, in my experience, seems to be pregnancy for girls and a lack of interest for the guys.
I considered dropping out towards the end because I was sick of school and would rather start on college early.
I'm glad I didn't drop out because that tends to look pretty bad on a job application and I am known to quit things quite a bit so...I'm glad I finished.

Some people drop out because they would rather go to college early, they're too advanced for school, etc.

I think high schools should focus more on job programs/internships/job training for those who don't see a four year college degree in their program. They should partner up with community colleges and try to help student earn an associate degree.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:57 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post

I think high schools should focus more on job programs/internships/job training for those who don't see a four year college degree in their program. They should partner up with community colleges and try to help student earn an associate degree.

That's a very common refrain but guess what happens when a system tries to do that. The parents come in, raise hell, and accuse the Administration/school board/teachers of undervaluing their kids because of whtever reason comes to mind. So what you get is a system, like mine, where every student is officially "college bound" because that's what the parents want (and it makes our transient Superintendents look good). I mentioned this several months ago in a different thread but it's no fun watching limited readers in Special Ed take the PSAT, required by the school system for all 10th and 11th graders.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:24 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,059,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Teachers are terrible. There is your answer. Some school systems over focus on sports.

Our school system over focuses on academics. I think students now days just think they can take the easy road and do the bare minimum. Students show no respect for teaches by texting,talking,picking on others..etc in class. Kids now days think things are all about them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education