Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 09:50 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,979,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Oh those tween- and teenage dramas, they are a good life tool, too. I don't want to over-protect my kids from social learning. That teenage home-schooled girl that once appeared on Dr Phil, is forever etched in my mind. She couldn't find enough words to describe how she felt she missed out on her social development, she didn't feel attuned to other teenagers...
Ahh, if only homeschooling did protect against the teen/tween social dramas... but alas, I just assured a friend this morning that the problems that her homeschooled nine year old were normal and unavoidable. The people on Dr. Phil are on TV because they're not typical case scenarios... there is plenty of hormonally-based dramatic learning going on between homeschoolers, trust me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 10:13 AM

650 posts, read 2,178,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
I don't think I was perpetuating any myths... I looked at the OP's websites and tried to imagine that I'm downloading those materials and my daughter, with my help, is going over the exersises... So, it struck me that she would be missing all those little "details" she's so eager to go to school in the first place. It stills seems like a homeschool bashing when all the OP asked for was people who had experience in actually USING the online program. You still added your own acedotes about why that would just be detrimental because of the social things that would be missed.

I'm happy, too, that I don't have to bend over backwards to provide the social opportunities, she gets them there. The socialization (if you can call it that) that children get in a school setting is no where near what a child gets from homeschooling. Homeschoolers live in the real world and are not caged in and forced to "socialize" strictly with children their own age and grade level. Sitting next to a 10 year old on the bus isn't exactly creating a life-long friendship either. The school and the parents complement each other, but I personally wouldn't want to undertake the 100% of teaching. I was looking into homeschooling when my kids were pre-schoolers, but seeing now what she gets above and beyond the worksheets, I view it as an invaluable experience though I may not be able to express those intangibles well. Not every homeschoooler resorts to worksheets. Many, like myself, work hard to offer their children the very same experiences that you claim your child is having in the public school. My children (in 5th and 2nd grades) still get to learn in hands-on ways and according to their individualized learning styles. Show me a classroom full of 15-25 children that can boast about that!

You are also forgetting that your child is only in Kindergarten, and in the next years she will be doing the very same sort of worksheety work and using textbooks, just like the homeschoolers using the online K-12 programs.

Oh those tween- and teenage dramas, they are a good life tool, too. I have first hand experience about those pre-teen dramas since I have a pre-teen myself. Just because we homeschool doesn't mean that there is no opportunity for probelms with friends to arise. My daughter has both schooled and homeschooled friends and she is disgusted by the way that 5th grade schooled girls treat each other. She has definitely used it as a life lesson on how not to treat other people, and it has made her very much aware of who her real friends are. I don't want to over-protect my kids from social learning. If you really think that all homeschoolers are over protected, then maybe it isn't just the homeschoolers that could use some "social learning".That teenage home-schooled girl that once appeared on Dr Phil, is forever etched in my mind. She couldn't find enough words to describe how she felt she missed out on her social development, she didn't feel attuned to other teenagers...So, you are basing your judgement of all homeschooled teens on one child that you saw on Dr. Phil? What about all of the successful homeschoolers out there? What about Dayna Martin and her family of radical unschoolers? They were on Dr. Phil as well and they proved to be living lives of pure love of learning, and they seem awfully happy with their lives. My children thoroughly enjoy homeschooling and don't think that they are missing out on anything by not being stuck in a classroom for 6.5 hours a day. They must not have any social learning skills though, right?

I'm not against homeschooling as a whole, just was relaying my personal views to OP. The OP didn't ask for you personal views on homeschooling, she asked for anyone who had used the online curriculum. In most states, it is EXACTLY the same curriculum that thye are using int he schools, so how is it any different to do the worksheets on your kitchen table as opposed to in a classroom?If homeschooling works for you, why not. The entire rest of your posts seem to negate that statement. Homeschooling is working for many, many families, so why knock it?

Though I probably could handle teaching of my kids much better than the next person (was teaching math in a college), I prefer her to have school friends, as simple as that. In addition, I love the fact that I have no air time when I listen to her teacher at a parent-teacher conference - she is too busy telling me what and how she teaches, with lots of tools and learning centers and a rich support of years of accumulating ideas and techniques from working with all kinds of kids. As a former teacher, I can't under-appreciate that.
You seem to have a lot of concerns for homeschoolers for someone who thinks that it is a viable option for some. Just because you choose not to, doesn't mean it doesn't work for others. That would be the same as me saying that the only thing the public schools are turning out is mindless drones that can only think as a herd. Oh, wait! You proved that point for me!

Old 03-08-2009, 10:37 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,449,299 times
It seems to me I may have wandered in a topic where parents committed to homeschooling share methods and opinions. I definitely don't want to get into a homeschool or not to homeschool argument, so I'm respectfully signing off...

So, what are your opinions re: OP's question?

Old 03-08-2009, 05:08 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
Thank you, everyone, for your input. I expected it to go a bit off topic due to the nature of the issue. It seems anything child/parenting related is a tricky subject to discuss online.

From what I understand so far for the two schools I have done the most research into - ORCA and ORVA - each child is assigned a certified teacher. Just as in regular public school the child would have a teacher, so it goes with the virtual public schools. The teacher is always available via phone, email, or online sessions. Work is turned into the teacher and the teacher helps tailor the child's curriculum using work that is turned in and assessments to guide us all along.

The parent is the learning coach, guiding the child through the process, making sure that things run smoothly on the home-end of things.

The schools provide the family with all the books, materials, computer, printer, microscopes, even dirt, they say! Some things such as assessments and tests are done online - just as they are in the regular public schools, but of course much of what is done is paper and pencil and textbook sort of work - just as in regular school. There are science experiments and art projects, etc... just as in regular school. It is the same curriculum the public school uses (the public school that the virtual academy is affiliated with) it's just done at home with the parent as the guide, and the teacher a phone call or email or online chat session away.

Both schools are accredited public schools, so they must meet all the requirements that traditional brick and mortar type public schools must meet as far as attendance as well as the mandated testing and assessments as well as proof of immunizations and so on. It's basically just like allowing your child to attend a public school, but they have much more in the way of personal freedom and of course individualized one-on-one attention - things they do not have when sitting in a class of 20 - 30 students all day.

It sounds very cool to us, actually. My husband and I are attending a parenting workshop soon to explore one of the schools further. We still haven't completely decided yet, but I have to say that we are leaning towards giving it a try for our youngest son, at least through the elementary and middle school years.

Anyway as far as concerns regarding that if children do not get herded off to a more traditional sort of school each school day they will be missing out on social opportunities or things such as science exploration or arts and music and other programs that schools provide - We personally do not have those same concerns, at all. If anything, their social skills will improve! Volunteer your time in public schools for any length of time and you will understand what I mean.

Our children have many friends, they are involved in programs outside from school that they love, they may not take a bus to school but there is a bus they take to the slopes to ski and snowboard which is even more exciting for them. They also do ski camp which they love. We are members of our coastal aquarium that we visit frequently - the aquarium even has days and camps and programs for homeschoolers that we would be able to take part in once they were not having to sit all day in a regular school classroom. We are members of our science place which has wonderful opportunities and a world-class planetarium with really great science programs there as well. They also have homeschooling programs there as well. We live in the Pacific Northwest, which is amazing in itself. This past weekend we spent tide pooling along the coast finding all kinds of cool beach creatures that live among the intertidal zone - starfish in all kinds of colors, sea anemones, sand crabs, seals, sea lions, whales, eagles, elk, etc. We hiked through old growth forests and sat on a large dune watching the sun set over the Pacific. At the coastal aquarium we learned all about Sea Otter's and even met an Alaskan Sea Otter who was rescued from the Alaskan oil spill. We also met two Californian sea otters who were very playful and fun! We are part of a local food buying co-op and community garden program. Our kids learn where our food comes from and we try to grow some of our food at home as well in our small garden. Without having to spend all day in a traditional classroom, more time could be spent learning more about this real world and participating freely in it - following where their curiosity naturally takes them and pursuing personal interests.

Anyway... I'm sort of rambling... I think that having the freedom to go with my child to the things we are studying would be an awesome experience. For example, in history if we are studying a certain war or a certain period in time... by utilizing these virtual public schools we have the freedom to go find museums or reenactments or memorials, etc. to help make the learning experience more hands-on. Find a veteran to talk to, interview them, etc. If we are learning of the Native Americans we can attend a pow wow or find a local tribal museum. If we are studying geography... a desert perhaps... well, time for a road trip! The Pacific Northwest I feel is a great place to take part in a program like this because there is so much out here to explore that correlates with what our children learn about in school. I think it would be a wonderful opportunity for any child if they had a parent willing to make this kind of commitment for them.

The public school our youngest son attends almost had to give up their annual zoo field trip because of budget cuts. Luckily parents - including ourselves - stepped in and gave money so that they could still go. I spend so much of our money and my time helping out our kids public schools. If we did the virtual academy, all that money and effort and time spent would go directly to my son. I feel that he would do really well.

Our older son, he is a year away from high school. Where we live, we have some amazing alternative high school programs, our oldest is interested in attending the International High School to focus on global studies, or possibly the arts high school to focus on digital media and engineering. Both are really good programs. We would not do the virtual school option for him simply because he is so happy and doing so well with his current situation. Our youngest son, though, in third grade... he's doing OK. He has good friends and does well in school but he is bored a lot of the time. He spends a lot of his time just sort of waiting for the next set of directions. The classes are so large and there are so many distractions in class that keep the teacher occupied... I feel the virtual option with an assigned certified teacher, with me as his guide and all of the outdoors as our classroom would be great for him. He absolutely loves being outdoors and seems to be totally in his element when we are in the mountains or on the coast. He gets really bored when he is indoors. His spirit really comes alive when he's out exploring. I'd like to nurture and support that. Right now, having to sit in a chair all day and be herded around school all day with all the other kids, I feel that situation is holding him back.

It does mean a huge commitment from the family, though. Mainly from me - because I am the parent who will be home and in charge of overseeing all this. As I said, we are still checking into it and haven't made any decisions yet. I would still like to hear from people who actually have had real experience with these kind of virtual programs - mainly K- 12 virtual school programs.

Anyway - I want to wish everyone good luck with their children. Thank you for your responses, and I apologize for this longest-ever post!

Last edited by haggardhouseelf; 03-08-2009 at 06:08 PM..

Old 03-08-2009, 08:42 PM

650 posts, read 2,178,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Thank you, everyone, for your input. I expected it to go a bit off topic due to the nature of the issue. It seems anything child/parenting related is a tricky subject to discuss online.

From what I understand so far for the two schools I have done the most research into - ORCA and ORVA - each child is assigned a certified teacher. Just as in regular public school the child would have a teacher, so it goes with the virtual public schools. The teacher is always available via phone, email, or online sessions. Work is turned into the teacher and the teacher helps tailor the child's curriculum using work that is turned in and assessments to guide us all along.

The parent is the learning coach, guiding the child through the process, making sure that things run smoothly on the home-end of things.

The schools provide the family with all the books, materials, computer, printer, microscopes, even dirt, they say! Some things such as assessments and tests are done online - just as they are in the regular public schools, but of course much of what is done is paper and pencil and textbook sort of work - just as in regular school. There are science experiments and art projects, etc... just as in regular school. It is the same curriculum the public school uses (the public school that the virtual academy is affiliated with) it's just done at home with the parent as the guide, and the teacher a phone call or email or online chat session away.

Both schools are accredited public schools, so they must meet all the requirements that traditional brick and mortar type public schools must meet as far as attendance as well as the mandated testing and assessments as well as proof of immunizations and so on. It's basically just like allowing your child to attend a public school, but they have much more in the way of personal freedom and of course individualized one-on-one attention - things they do not have when sitting in a class of 20 - 30 students all day.

It sounds very cool to us, actually. My husband and I are attending a parenting workshop soon to explore one of the schools further. We still haven't completely decided yet, but I have to say that we are leaning towards giving it a try for our youngest son, at least through the elementary and middle school years.

Anyway as far as concerns regarding that if children do not get herded off to a more traditional sort of school each school day they will be missing out on social opportunities or things such as science exploration or arts and music and other programs that schools provide - We personally do not have those same concerns, at all. If anything, their social skills will improve! Volunteer your time in public schools for any length of time and you will understand what I mean.

Our children have many friends, they are involved in programs outside from school that they love, they may not take a bus to school but there is a bus they take to the slopes to ski and snowboard which is even more exciting for them. They also do ski camp which they love. We are members of our coastal aquarium that we visit frequently - the aquarium even has days and camps and programs for homeschoolers that we would be able to take part in once they were not having to sit all day in a regular school classroom. We are members of our science place which has wonderful opportunities and a world-class planetarium with really great science programs there as well. They also have homeschooling programs there as well. We live in the Pacific Northwest, which is amazing in itself. This past weekend we spent tide pooling along the coast finding all kinds of cool beach creatures that live among the intertidal zone - starfish in all kinds of colors, sea anemones, sand crabs, seals, sea lions, whales, eagles, elk, etc. We hiked through old growth forests and sat on a large dune watching the sun set over the Pacific. At the coastal aquarium we learned all about Sea Otter's and even met an Alaskan Sea Otter who was rescued from the Alaskan oil spill. We also met two Californian sea otters who were very playful and fun! We are part of a local food buying co-op and community garden program. Our kids learn where our food comes from and we try to grow some of our food at home as well in our small garden. Without having to spend all day in a traditional classroom, more time could be spent learning more about this real world and participating freely in it - following where their curiosity naturally takes them and pursuing personal interests.

Anyway... I'm sort of rambling... I think that having the freedom to go with my child to the things we are studying would be an awesome experience. For example, in history if we are studying a certain war or a certain period in time... by utilizing these virtual public schools we have the freedom to go find museums or reenactments or memorials, etc. to help make the learning experience more hands-on. Find a veteran to talk to, interview them, etc. If we are learning of the Native Americans we can attend a pow wow or find a local tribal museum. If we are studying geography... a desert perhaps... well, time for a road trip! The Pacific Northwest I feel is a great place to take part in a program like this because there is so much out here to explore that correlates with what our children learn about in school. I think it would be a wonderful opportunity for any child if they had a parent willing to make this kind of commitment for them.

The public school our youngest son attends almost had to give up their annual zoo field trip because of budget cuts. Luckily parents - including ourselves - stepped in and gave money so that they could still go. I spend so much of our money and my time helping out our kids public schools. If we did the virtual academy, all that money and effort and time spent would go directly to my son. I feel that he would do really well.

Our older son, he is a year away from high school. Where we live, we have some amazing alternative high school programs, our oldest is interested in attending the International High School to focus on global studies, or possibly the arts high school to focus on digital media and engineering. Both are really good programs. We would not do the virtual school option for him simply because he is so happy and doing so well with his current situation. Our youngest son, though, in third grade... he's doing OK. He has good friends and does well in school but he is bored a lot of the time. He spends a lot of his time just sort of waiting for the next set of directions. The classes are so large and there are so many distractions in class that keep the teacher occupied... I feel the virtual option with an assigned certified teacher, with me as his guide and all of the outdoors as our classroom would be great for him. He absolutely loves being outdoors and seems to be totally in his element when we are in the mountains or on the coast. He gets really bored when he is indoors. His spirit really comes alive when he's out exploring. I'd like to nurture and support that. Right now, having to sit in a chair all day and be herded around school all day with all the other kids, I feel that situation is holding him back.

It does mean a huge commitment from the family, though. Mainly from me - because I am the parent who will be home and in charge of overseeing all this. As I said, we are still checking into it and haven't made any decisions yet. I would still like to hear from people who actually have had real experience with these kind of virtual programs - mainly K- 12 virtual school programs.

Anyway - I want to wish everyone good luck with their children. Thank you for your responses, and I apologize for this longest-ever post!
Good luck! It really seems like you're excited about this and that it will be a good fit for your family!

Old 03-09-2009, 11:38 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,218,022 times
As an educator, you would think I would be one against "home schooling". Not so! It all depends on the parents' involvement, commitment, and follow through. As for haggardhouseelf, it sounds like you are a wonderful parent and that you are as excited to educate or "re-educate" yourself on things your child is learning. That's wonderful! I can't tell you how many things I forgot that I learned as a child that I've relearned as a teacher. Your excitement is contagious! If more parents were like you there would be a lot less problems in our society. Being involved with your child's education, whether it be in the public or private school setting, or home/virtual schooling is so important. I've seen so many parents who aren't at all involved and it is truly sad. As I've said before, many who claim to home school don't do what they need to do and that is also sad for the children. Best wishes to you in your endeavors to try the virtual school route! I'm sure you'll do great

Old 03-11-2009, 03:16 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGIAINMT View Post
As an educator, you would think I would be one against "home schooling". Not so! It all depends on the parents' involvement, commitment, and follow through. As for haggardhouseelf, it sounds like you are a wonderful parent and that you are as excited to educate or "re-educate" yourself on things your child is learning. That's wonderful! I can't tell you how many things I forgot that I learned as a child that I've relearned as a teacher. Your excitement is contagious! If more parents were like you there would be a lot less problems in our society. Being involved with your child's education, whether it be in the public or private school setting, or home/virtual schooling is so important. I've seen so many parents who aren't at all involved and it is truly sad. As I've said before, many who claim to home school don't do what they need to do and that is also sad for the children. Best wishes to you in your endeavors to try the virtual school route! I'm sure you'll do great
Thank you!! What a supportive post. It's nice to hear from an educators point of view. We have asked a few teachers that we know of their opinions, but none of them had even heard of either of these schools. We were at the doctors office today for checkups and we spoke to him about the schools. He knew about them, and said he and his wife considered homeschooling their children for the same reasons that my husband and I are opening ourselves up to alternative options. He said that ultimately he and his wife decided to keep their children in public schools and continue to supplement at home because they were worried about the social issues. Personally, I'm still not convinced that a homeschool situation has to isolate children. Not if you make strong efforts to keep them involved in programs that involve them working in groups - like science and art camps with friends and swim team and jazz band and music lessons and so forth. I feel that many people think that if your child is not in school, they stay sat at home, lonely, alone, with just you. Perhaps that is how some homeschoolers choose to live but that is not how we would pursue this at all. Learning to work in groups with a diverse array of people is essential, and it's something that I really do love about public schools - you're exposed to all walks of life.

And I agree - (and here I go - off-topic!) it is so sad the number of parents who just simply do not involve themselves with their child's school or education at all. I've been volunteering for many years, and we've lived and had experience with public schools in 4 different states. I've seen a gross lack of parental involvement spanning all income levels and situations. You'd think it was just the poor or single-parent families where there was a lack of involvement, that's something you would expect and something you can forgive, really, because of their challenging life situation. But a surprising number of parents who are not limited in financial or other ways just simply do not put forth the effort for their child. And in the classroom, it is clear which parents are involved and which aren't. As a volunteer, I always seek out the kids whose parents are least involved and try to give them a little boost. And often, the kids simply stick like glue to me without me having to even go to them - because they are so starved for attention. That's what kids don't seem to be getting enough of these days. They've got cutesy clothes and manicures and stylin' hair and sweet rides and electronic gadgets galore... they are involved in all kinds of camps and lessons and so on... but they are starving for some quality time, some basic attention - they are not getting it from their parents. Material things do not replace a parents love and attention and care. Just simple involvement. It's not something you buy, it's something that's given.

Anyway - thanks so much georgiainmt for that very kind response!

Last edited by haggardhouseelf; 03-11-2009 at 03:32 PM..

Old 03-17-2009, 06:21 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,800 times
Just a note haggard... the K12 curriculum here in CO (COVA) for the 1st & 3rd grades (my experience so far), is WAY beyond what the brick and mortar schools offer. It's more in depth... seriously... how many 3rd graders in regular schools have to pass a test/assessment on Michaelangelo's life in art class? How many 1st graders could name more than just King Tut, mummies and Pyramids a couple weeks after taking a History class on Egypt?

As for socialization... if your child has friends and other sources for socializing, why does a child need to socialize during the 3 1/2 hours of instructional time?

Join the Y (lots of homeschoolers there), check out the library (yep, they hang there too), find a Co-op (the online school will help you), hook up with other local kids (list again, from the school), call the zoo (homeschooler's program), etc if you're having trouble finding other kids to play with while the other kids in the neighborhood are at school.

Honestly though, it's usually those who have NOT had FIRST HAND experience with homeschool who are the MOST concerned about socializing homeschooled kids. Online you find lots of "exceptions" to this rule - of course, online are the BEST parents, who ALWAYS put their kids first... not those lazy parents the teachers couldn't pick out of a line up at the end of a school year (about 60% or more fall in this category, my son's last teacher told me).

Old 08-24-2009, 12:27 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,548,973 times
we had a negative experience with an online school. sounds like it was the exception, not the rule. glad to hear a better experience is available for others.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:33 AM

2,779 posts, read 7,520,371 times
K12.com curriculum for my 7th grader is awesome and I am so glad I made the change, academically much stronger than the traditional PS, without the social problems. See my posts in the Idaho Forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education