Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 01:53 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times

Advertisements

Well we obviously had a better experience than some. The school was on a huge piece of property, so the older kids had lots of room to run and play sports while the younger kids were confined to the playground area. Lunches and gym were at different times, but all the kids were in one building, just different wings.

The pros far outweighed the cons. The older kids would write stories and read them with the younger ones, and they were very good about keeping kids under control on the bus. I found the older kids to be protective, not exploitive of the little ones.

My oldest went right into an academically rigorous private high school with no problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 06:11 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
YES! K-8 is the way to go. Did you google "K-8 better school configurations" or anything like that? There are actual studies that indicate K-8 is better for academics and discipline.

We have been in a PK3-12 school, my son is in 8th, and it's been great. No typical middle school issues.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:20 PM

830 posts, read 2,711,437 times
I teach at a K-8 currently, and I'm a K teacher. It works out fine as far as I can tell, although I admit I don't spend a lot of time near the big kid classrooms. Mine have different recesses than the older kids (actually, K recess is completely separate from everyone else). I don't see any infiltration of bad language or anything like that down to my kids. We occasionally bring the K's over to read stories with the middle-schoolers. It's good for the little kids who love the attention of a middle school buddy and great practice for struggling middle school readers.

In 4th grade they begin changing classrooms for science only. The 6-8th graders change classrooms for LA, Math, History, etc in addition to Science (the same science teacher teaches the 4th and 5th grade science).

The school is under 400 students in a rural area. High school is a few blocks away. The kids have, for the most part, been together since kindergarten so the transition to high school probably is not a huge issue.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:47 AM

1,312 posts, read 4,774,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
We have no K-8 public schools where i am.

But my kids attend a private K-8 school and it works out fine, though it is a religous affiliated school so they are taught morals and how to behave from a young age. Not to mention most private schools REQUIRES parental involvement and public does not, it is often those children whose parents are NOT involved in their lives or education that have the most behavioral issues.

So their may be more problems trying to do this in a public setting. Your K's may come home having learned some new words ....
My son attends a public K-5 and rides in the front of the bus, since he is in K and that's the bus driver's policy...all K's in the front. But the kids in the back have learned some choice words already...
I went to a private K-8 and I remember some choice words in 5th grade or so...kids learn those words all over the place now: home, TV, games, public places, older siblings.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:32 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,433,487 times
I'm enjoying this discussion. I have to admit I still have some skepticism b/c this would be new for my area, outside of magnet schools, so there is the guinea pig factor. In a school district that already has its issues. Those things are what bother me the most. I don't want anyone's need to not be met. But there are some good ideas here for how a K-8 school can be successful. Thanks again for your comments!

Old 03-10-2009, 07:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcats View Post
We occasionally bring the K's over to read stories with the middle-schoolers. It's good for the little kids who love the attention of a middle school buddy and great practice for struggling middle school readers.
At least one of the K-8s in my district does this as well. They also use the older kids as "reading partners" for the struggling readers in the early ele grades.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,049 times
I'm not a parent, but I think this might help (or not), I've read reviews of some researches online, done in the US which state that many kids form preK-8 schools are doing better than kids from divided schools so I'm agreeing with you and in my opinion its a good idea (this student would definitely appreciate it!), thnx 4 reading
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education