Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In which percentile (out of the general U.S. population) to do think you rank in terms of intelligen
Bottom 25% 4 4.71%
Bottom 50% 4 4.71%
Top 50% 10 11.76%
Top 25% 34 40.00%
Top 5% 33 38.82%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 01:44 PM

513 posts, read 1,581,320 times

Advertisements

If everything works out, I'm gonna get my Phd in computer science in 2 years. A lots of people think I'm smart. Although I myself have seen way too many smarter people to actually think I'm smart. I'm not being humble, I don't know if God's messing with me or something, I have a nasty habit of bumping into people who are freakishly smart, who can put some serious dent on my self-esteem despite I have my share of casual admirers who happen to think I'm smart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 02:25 PM

985 posts, read 2,600,642 times
I think I'm about average. I'm not smart but I don't think I'm a complete moron either, though the latter is definitely debatable.

Edit- This thread has made me think about all the ridiculous things I've done in my life, so I have to change my answer. I am, without a doubt, an idiot.

Last edited by Kaye02; 03-14-2009 at 02:35 PM..

Old 03-14-2009, 02:44 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
I don't judge my intelligence by what I think I judge it by what other people think. Quite frankly, I have no idea how I rate compared to others.

You can judge from some examples if you care to.

When I was starting out in the workplace (many years ago) I took a job as a draftsman. At that time we still used slide rules. No calculators or computers. After I started I was told I had to know Trigonometry to keep it. I went to a book store Friday after work, bought a book named "Plane and Spherical Trigonometry", and worked through it over the weekend. Monday when I went to work I knew Trig.

I'm pretty good at Jeopardy and trivia games in general.

My wife says I'm smart. She tests at the 99th percentile.

I'm a computer tech, mostly self-taught, and find i can resolve issues that stump other techs. Not always, but often.

I'm not ashamed to ask questions if I don't know something.

I'm still alive. If you knew my past you'd understand. Possibly falls under street smart.

If I had to give an estimate I'd say I'm probably about average.

Old 03-14-2009, 03:32 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,194,312 times
Define "intelligence".
Do I learn quickly? Am I relatively well-educated or articulate? Depends on the group we're using as a norm, but I'd accept a spot in the top half, anyway.
Do I breeze blithely through the tax codes each spring?
I'll take the fifth.
Can I program my $%^# computer?
Er...well...I'm waaaay below the average tech-savvy seventh grader on that one.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:59 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
I think I'm more well-read than most people I've met, and I know I'm a very good writer, with many years of successful employment in fields that focus on this discipline. Few unintelligent people are good writers or avid readers, so, yeah, I'd consider myself smart. I'm also a fast hands-on learner, and pick up skills with reasonable facility independently. I always enjoyed academics and hands-on learning, and continue to in adulthood. However, I'm not technically inclined in the least, know virtually nothing about finance (and lack the interest to learn), rarely use anything beyond simple math. I suppose people skilled in those areas would deem me as unintelligent as I deem those who don't read and/or lack the ability to string together a written or verbal sentence without error.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:20 PM

12,836 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Thanks for the votes and replies so far, everyone. So far it looks how I thought it would be. This is hardly a solid sampling, but about 84% of the 37 voters feel that they are in the top 25% in terms of general inteligence (for the sake of full disclosure, I voted top 25% myself).

I can't wait to see how this turns out. Thanks again for participating.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:39 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,126,566 times
Funny how some posts rely on what they do or what others tell them...

Well, let me tell everyone that I am as dumb as a bag of hammers.

I find it great being at the bottom and looking up 'cause I enjoy seeing the self ordained smart people run in gastly circles.. ZZZZZZZ

Old 03-14-2009, 09:50 PM

985 posts, read 2,600,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy1 View Post
Funny how some posts rely on what they do or what others tell them...

Well, let me tell everyone that I am as dumb as a bag of hammers.

I find it great being at the bottom and looking up 'cause I enjoy seeing the self ordained smart people run in gastly circles.. ZZZZZZZ
LOL The great thing about being dumb is that no one expects much from you, and when you actually do something above mediocre people act like you've cured cancer! Maybe I should change my screen name to VillageIdiot.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:14 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
Street smarts...book smarts...

The thing with being street smart is that it is something that has to be learned as well. Some people are just naturally intuitive, whether it be on the streets or in the classroom, but even a common thug needs to learn what and what not to do. We learn from experience, immersion, and our own needs and desires. Who is the smarter of the two? Neither, but at the same time both are in their own respects.

Intelligence is not about how much you know. It is acknowledging what you do not know. It is about taking various bits of information and then using that information to form your own opinions, thoughts, and actions. Intelligence is the ability to back up your opinions and actions with rational, well thought, conversation and behavior, regardless if anyone agrees with it or not.

When it comes to my peers I am probably somewhere in the middle. I only hang out with people whom I perceive are just as, or, smarter than I am (and for those who think that makes me snobbish or elitist, just keep in mind that I am fully aware that some people would consider me "dumb" by their standards).

Old 03-15-2009, 12:23 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye02 View Post
LOL The great thing about being dumb is that no one expects much from you, and when you actually do something above mediocre people act like you've cured cancer! Maybe I should change my screen name to VillageIdiot.
What is so great about receiving a low opinion from everyone? And, when you do come across doing something great, nobody is going to think that it was an act of genius but rather a fluke and that you got lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education