Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In which percentile (out of the general U.S. population) to do think you rank in terms of intelligen
Bottom 25% 4 4.71%
Bottom 50% 4 4.71%
Top 50% 10 11.76%
Top 25% 34 40.00%
Top 5% 33 38.82%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 07:40 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,534,548 times

Advertisements

When tested, I'm only a couple of points under genius....BUT...

I think I have more common sense than book sense. I have a memory like a trap. If I learn something I don't normally forget it.

While I thrive on numbers and psycho mumbo jumbo....I'm not smart when it comes to medical, art, construction ect
I guess my point is, you can be smart in one area but not smart in another.

It all comes down to friends sharing a common intellect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 09:53 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I don't find people interesting (at least, not anything more than momentarily entertaining, in an "oddity" sort of way) unless they are intelligent, as a rule. Stupid people don't interest me.

That said, boring people come with all levels of intelligence. But I've never met a REALLY interesting person before who wasn't smart.
Yet here you are, on a forum. Hmm. Must be this is where all the intelligent, boring people are.

To be honest, I've seen a remarkable number of 'stupid' people on CD. What interest do you have here?

Old 03-16-2009, 02:15 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,451,439 times
If I took a legitimate IQ test, I'd probably test average or slightly above average. However, I do believe that I have a lot more common sense than my peers. Common sense and intelligence are not necessarily related.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:33 PM

1,428 posts, read 3,161,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Ya know what? Have you ever noticed that those of extreme intelligence are very boring people? I dont mean not nice people. I mean very boring conversation and very boring to be around.

I recall some years ago Ann Landers ran a nationwide survey. The general public was to vote on what trade/profession was the most boring person. Guess who came out on top as the most boring person? Engineers came in first and Toll Collecters came in second.

Engineers are generally smart people and Toll Collectors are generally not. Both opposites yet equally boring? Go figure.
No, actually. I've noticed quite the opposite when I've been lucky enough to run in to someone who was extremely intelligent. Very often, they have a great deal to say about their field of interest -- and almost anyone who is enthusiastic about her or his subject tends to communicate that enthusiasm to someone willing to learn about it and ask questions.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:44 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Wallace View Post
No, actually. I've noticed quite the opposite when I've been lucky enough to run in to someone who was extremely intelligent. Very often, they have a great deal to say about their field of interest -- and almost anyone who is enthusiastic about her or his subject tends to communicate that enthusiasm to someone willing to learn about it and ask questions.
It's amazing what one can learn while being a good listener. But there's an art to good listening. Ask a question or two then pay attention. Love it.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:19 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,467,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy1 View Post
Funny how some posts rely on what they do or what others tell them...

Well, let me tell everyone that I am as dumb as a bag of hammers.

I find it great being at the bottom and looking up 'cause I enjoy seeing the self ordained smart people run in gastly circles.. ZZZZZZZ
LOL! I'm right there with ya! Bottom 25% "amongst my peers." If you say something smart to me, it's virtually guaranteed I'll give you that "vacant look" - although I'll try not to...

Old 03-17-2009, 03:14 PM

985 posts, read 2,600,642 times
I'm not smart, I'm just good at faking it.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:14 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,467,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye02 View Post
I'm not smart, I'm just good at faking it.
Hey me too... you're going to have to share your faking smart techniques. That would be an interesting thread for the simple minded person like myself... "how to fake being smart/edumacated when you're not."

Old 03-17-2009, 05:12 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
It's amazing what one can learn while being a good listener. But there's an art to good listening. Ask a question or two then pay attention. Love it.
You are right, you can learn by being a good listener. But you have to be able to recognize when the person you are listening to is impressing you with intelligence or dazzling you with bull sheet.

And while some say to learn from your mistakes, I believe in learning by other peoples mistakes so that I will not make them.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:46 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Yet here you are, on a forum. Hmm. Must be this is where all the intelligent, boring people are.

To be honest, I've seen a remarkable number of 'stupid' people on CD. What interest do you have here?
I've seen a lot of unintelligent posts, myself. They're not the posts that interest me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education