Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 02:10 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,150,285 times

Advertisements

I'm a bit upset at this issue, and no matter how many times I call the school, not much is being accomplished to resolve my issue, and there seems to be a total lack of communication on the schools part.

We just moved to a new state. My kids are both in high school. There is block scheduling. They've been in this new school since the middle/end of January. My daughter was totally confused with her 3rd period class (there are 4 periods). She has health or gym during this period. She was going to health class when she was supposed to be in gym class, and going to gym class when she was supposed to be in health class.

My problem is the teachers/school never notified me that she was absent during this period. I like to build a strong line of communication with the teachers. I email them first, and provide them with all of my contact numbers and email address. A few weeks ago, I finally got a response from her health teacher telling me that my daughter hasn't been in her classroom for a long period of time. After calling the school and arranging a meeting, i found out that she was getting her classes confused.

Why didn't someone notify me? Where they going to wait until the marking period was over with and let me know, hence having her fail?

I made it strongly clear that I wanted a phone call or email the same day there was a problem. After months, I still have not gotten a reply from the gym teacher.

They ended up switching her classes, and again, got her 3rd period classes confused. I wouldn't haven know if she didn't tell me a week later. I also was not notified that her classes were changed.

I was told today that she is averaging a 50% in her Health class because of these issues, which I don't believe is fair. She is an honor student, and I don't believe she should be penalized for this.

Am I wrong for feeling this way? I don't want her to fail, and the communication seems so hard. It just seems that many high school teachers have given up on these kids. Don't get me wrong, some are excellent, but i feel like I'm playing a game of cat and mouse.

I asked the guidance counselor to set up a meeting so I can, again, get things clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 02:15 PM

901 posts, read 2,981,021 times
That is a tough situation. I can't believe that it took so long for them to sort it out. Didn't the teachers realize that she wasn't on their roster? How old is your daughter?

Old 03-25-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam82 View Post
That is a tough situation. I can't believe that it took so long for them to sort it out. Didn't the teachers realize that she wasn't on their roster? How old is your daughter?
She's 14 and a high school freshman. I'm just beside myself. I attended the school PTO meeting last night and brought this issue up to the Principal. He asked me to call him today, which I did. I have not gotten a response back. Not only did I call him, but I emailed him as well.

I might add that I joined the PTO as soon as the kids started going to school there.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:21 PM

901 posts, read 2,981,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilani Vasquez View Post
She's 14 and a high school freshman. I'm just beside myself. I attended the school PTO meeting last night and brought this issue up to the Principal. He asked me to call him today, which I did. I have not gotten a response back. Not only did I call him, but I emailed him as well.

I might add that I joined the PTO as soon as the kids started going to school there.
Wow. I think that this situation is just crazy. You have the right to be mad. I hope everything gets sorted out.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:25 PM

783 posts, read 1,323,270 times
Arrange a meeting yourself with the principal, both teachers and your daughter.

Do this at their earliest convince and flex your schedule to meet their desired time.

Don’t get frustrated or angry during the meeting simply clarify the concerns (facts not opinions) and get a resolution prior to leaving the meeting.

Follow-up with everyone to verify that the agreements of the agreement are carried out.

You will be well on your way to developing a relationship with the school after this conference.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post
Arrange a meeting yourself with the principal, both teachers and your daughter.

Do this at their earliest convince and flex your schedule to meet their desired time.

Don’t get frustrated or angry during the meeting simply clarify the concerns (facts not opinions) and get a resolution prior to leaving the meeting.

Follow-up with everyone to verify that the agreements of the agreement are carried out.

You will be well on your way to developing a relationship with the school after this conference.
Thanks for your advice!

I would never take my frustrations out on the teachers because I know how frustrating their job can be at times. It's also impolite.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:46 PM

706 posts, read 3,756,356 times
Leilani,

I can tell you first that it's ALWAYS better to show up at the school for issues and/or problems.

I don't know why/how a student would attend the "wrong" classes, especially for any length of time.

Your daughter should have a schedule with classes and room numbers and should know where she's going and what she's doing.

IN ADDITION, whatever classes your daughter has been attending, she should be on a class Attendance Roster. If a student shows up who isn't on the roster, the teacher needs to check to see why or at the very least add the student onto the Attendance Roster.

And who are the teachers who've not seen her in class and haven't taken any action?

Either way, if she's been attending classes then there are teachers who can vouch for her and say, "Yes, she's been in my class."...and they should know every day, every date she's been there.

ALSO, whatever classes she's been attending, she should have classwork, homework, notes in her notebook all dated hopefully.

You need to GO TO that school, make sure you're daughter IS attending her classes and make sure that she's given credit for doing so if she has been.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaReed View Post
Leilani,

I can tell you first that it's ALWAYS better to show up at the school for issues and/or problems.

I don't know why/how a student would attend the "wrong" classes, especially for any length of time.

Your daughter should have a schedule with classes and room numbers and should know where she's going and what she's doing.

IN ADDITION, whatever classes your daughter has been attending, she should be on a class Attendance Roster. If a student shows up who isn't on the roster, the teacher needs to check to see why or at the very least add the student onto the Attendance Roster.

And who are the teachers who've not seen her in class and haven't taken any action?

Either way, if she's been attending classes then there are teachers who can vouch for her and say, "Yes, she's been in my class."...and they should know every day, every date she's been there.

ALSO, whatever classes she's been attending, she should have classwork, homework, notes in her notebook all dated hopefully.

You need to GO TO that school, make sure you're daughter IS attending her classes and make sure that she's given credit for doing so if she has been.
Maybe I should leave early tomorrow and personally go to the school.

My thing is I'm recently divorced and work full time. it's hard to balance everything.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:20 PM

15,978 posts, read 20,964,469 times
IMO it also wouldn't hurt to take a few minutes of your time after the meeting is over to write yourself some notes, who said what, and what action is going to be taken to resolve the issue. CYA, just in case there are issues again later on down the line. Maybe even e-mail the principal asking him/her to 'confirm your understanding' of the way they are going to handle the matter.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:58 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,055,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilani Vasquez View Post
...there seems to be a total lack of communication on the schools part.
It's a high school. Communication is different at high schools. They tend to leave a lot up to the kids to find out what they're doing.

[quote]They've been in this new school since the middle/end of January. My daughter was totally confused with her 3rd period class (there are 4 periods). ..... She was going to health class when she was supposed to be in gym class, and going to gym class when she was supposed to be in health class.

My problem is the teachers/school never notified me that she was absent during this period. I like to build a strong line of communication with the teachers. I email them first, and provide them with all of my contact numbers and email address. A few weeks ago, I finally got a response from her health teacher telling me that my daughter hasn't been in her classroom for a long period of time. After calling the school and arranging a meeting, i found out that she was getting her classes confused.

Why didn't someone notify me? Where they going to wait until the marking period was over with and let me know, hence having her fail?

I made it strongly clear that I wanted a phone call or email the same day there was a problem. After months, I still have not gotten a reply from the gym teacher.

They ended up switching her classes, and again, got her 3rd period classes confused. I wouldn't haven know if she didn't tell me a week later. I also was not notified that her classes were changed.

I was told today that she is averaging a 50% in her Health class because of these issues, which I don't believe is fair. She is an honor student, and I don't believe she should be penalized for this.

Am I wrong for feeling this way? I don't want her to fail, and the communication seems so hard. It just seems that many high school teachers have given up on these kids...quote]
After MONTHS? It's barely been two since she started.

High schools tend to expect kids to take care of a lot of these kinds of things. If your daughter is unsure of where she belongs at any given time, she should have gone to the Direction Center or office to ask some questions instead of being lost for two months.

Your daughter needs to learn to take some initiative and get things straightened out on her own. All she has to do is ask some questions.

It's one thing being involved with your daughter's education, but it's quite another to take all the responsibility away from your daughter. She's at the age where she should be taking some reigns and taking some control.

As for the teachers giving up on the kids, I don't think that's true. They just expect more from the kids than elementary and middle school teachers do. They are expecting her to take some kind of ownership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education