Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 10:31 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times

Advertisements

"Irrelevant" may have been a poor word choice, and I certainly wasn't implying the teacher shouldn't discipline a child for name-calling. But the teacher should not call the child a name, just because a 7-8 yr old called the teacher a name first. That is childish behavior, not adult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 01:54 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,689,634 times
In an ideal world, both the teacher and the student would apologize to one another.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:57 PM

901 posts, read 2,987,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
"Irrelevant" may have been a poor word choice, and I certainly wasn't implying the teacher shouldn't discipline a child for name-calling. But the teacher should not call the child a name, just because a 7-8 yr old called the teacher a name first. That is childish behavior, not adult.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
In an ideal world, both the teacher and the student would apologize to one another.
In the case that I'm talking about, the child did not call the teacher a name. The teacher was unhappy with the child's work.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam82 View Post
In the case that I'm talking about, the child did not call the teacher a name. The teacher was unhappy with the child's work.
That's what I thought from your OP, then people started talking about the child calling the teacher names and I thought, "Oh, well, maybe they are commenting on some article in a teacher newspaper or something".

Since the above is the case, the teacher should be reprimanded. BTW, I had a teacher like that, when I was in grades 2-4 (this was a multi-age class). She didn't use profanity, but she insulted and degraded kids routinely. I never did like school, often wonder if it was b/c of her.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:44 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,341,422 times
Quote:
So I gather you heard this and chose to say nothing to the teacher at the time?

Old 06-09-2009, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
... I really wish that parents would sit their kids down and explain that their is a difference re: what is acceptable behavior for kids and what is acceptable behavior for adults. ....
old Jewish wish: "From your mouth to G-d's ears" since the majority of parents seem to believe that there is NO difference, but that's another topic

Old 06-10-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
So I gather you heard this and chose to say nothing to the teacher at the time?
I wasn't there.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
I wasn't there.
I'm sorry for being so obtuse, but how do you know it even happened if you didn't see or hear it yourself?

Old 06-10-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
I'm sorry for being so obtuse, but how do you know it even happened if you didn't see or hear it yourself?
I was told.
I'm not exactly sure why you are asking me anyway. This forum is here to discuss issues about education and the classroom. I wanted to see what people think about the situation, not be interrogated. Furthermore, I'm not an administrator and my job is not to discipline teachers. If someone did say something like that to one of my students in front of me, I would say something to them privately. But I'm not going to chase down a teacher based on what I was told.

Last edited by Sam82; 06-10-2009 at 06:35 PM.. Reason: More to say

Old 06-10-2009, 06:46 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,689,634 times
This is a weird thread.
Sam82, I love the question that you posed but you came across as if you were the child's parent. You also made a strong statement re: what you thought the consequences for the teacher should be; obviously, you are going to get a strong response back if someone doesn't agree with you (BTW, I am so loving the irony about the "drama" *LOL*)
I think that next time it might be prudent to be a bit clearer re: your position in the matter. I know it is a bit uncomfortable b/c you are online and don't want to reveal too much but it will give people a better idea of where you are coming from and will keep the thread a bit more focused. But your question is a great one, and has really clarified a lot of things for me as a teacher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education