Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 01:25 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,393,244 times

Advertisements

I personally find it disturbing ! They crossed the line. It's just another way for the state to take power away from the parents. I know some parents would think it's ok for their kids to participate, but there should have been notification for those that didn't want their kids encouraged in this area.

When there are so many good things that could be taught, why teach something that is not healthy, some may agrue, but I can't find anything healthy about using vulgar terms to discribe private parts.
I'm so thankful that my kid will never be subjected to such low class teachings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 12:53 AM

1 posts, read 844 times
Thanks to all for sharing their views....
We are living in modern era, where giving such educational information regarding relationships & explaing the body parts to children is the need of hour.but its upto the speakers hat languages & words they use while delivering the ideas as a child is here to learn only & what we taught to them they learn the same thing...We can give them sittings of high school speaker who gives motivational ideas to encourage them.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 03-22-2011 at 06:24 AM.. Reason: removed link

Old 03-21-2011, 07:53 AM

419 posts, read 867,280 times
There are so many more important things kids should be learning in school than profanity. Besides, by middle school many kids already know curse words, so this lesson is pointless. If anything, a lesson like this could be taught in high school English class to point out how unimaginative cursing is. While I don't see minor curse words like $h!t and d@mn as being all that offensive, it does tend to diminish a person's character. With the economy being the way it is, students who are entering the job market soon need to learn how to handle themselves well.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:02 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,993,373 times
I have taught Biology for the last 8 years and sex education is presented every spring. I have never even considered using profanity in my lessons and I'm not sure how it's relevant in this case either. This is a very odd story.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:14 AM

161 posts, read 239,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdmom View Post
I personally find it disturbing ! They crossed the line. It's just another way for the state to take power away from the parents. I know some parents would think it's ok for their kids to participate, but there should have been notification for those that didn't want their kids encouraged in this area.

When there are so many good things that could be taught, why teach something that is not healthy, some may agrue, but I can't find anything healthy about using vulgar terms to discribe private parts.
I'm so thankful that my kid will never be subjected to such low class teachings.
"take power from the parents"
I taught health at the middle school level. When ever we approached this unit, the 3 other health teachers and I, always held an after school meeting for parents. We would vary the times and held it a 4pm or 7pm. Out of 540 students in health, 7 parents would show up on average. We held this meeting each semester and attendance was always dismal. Sometimes a few more, sometimes a few less. Please don't tell me I'm taking power away from parents, when 98% of them don't care. Parents are too busy to care what's going in the classroom, don't tell me I'm "taking" power away from parents.

Last edited by rockymtn; 03-21-2011 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: math corrections

Old 03-21-2011, 08:22 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,993,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtn View Post
I taught health at the middle school level. When ever we approached this unit, the 3 other health teachers and I, always held an after school meeting for parents. We would vary the times and held it a 4pm or 7pm. Out of 200 students in health, 7 parents would show up on average. We held this meeting each semester and attendance was always dismal. Sometimes a few more, sometimes a few less. Please don't tell me I'm taking power away from parents, when 96% of them don't care. Parents are too busy to care what's going in the classroom, don't tell me I'm "taking" power away from parents.
Amen, and amen.

If parents want "power", ie complete control, over what is presented in the classroom, then they need to homeschool. That's the only way to protect the little darlings from the cold, harsh reality of the world. I'm not advocating that the use of profanity was right. There's no sense in it and it's not an effective teaching tool. I'm referring to helicopter parents that want to stick their noses into EVERY SINGLE LESSON that is presented to bestow their proverbial "thumbs up". It's ridiculous.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:12 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,393,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtn View Post
I taught health at the middle school level. When ever we approached this unit, the 3 other health teachers and I, always held an after school meeting for parents. We would vary the times and held it a 4pm or 7pm. Out of 540 students in health, 7 parents would show up on average. We held this meeting each semester and attendance was always dismal. Sometimes a few more, sometimes a few less. Please don't tell me I'm taking power away from parents, when 98% of them don't care. Parents are too busy to care what's going in the classroom, don't tell me I'm "taking" power away from parents.

I didn't mean to offend. I wasn't referring to every health teacher. I know there are great teachers out there...and that there are not so great parents...and vice versa. I do home school, so I was looking at it from that pov. But still, how is referring to your private areas with vulgar words in any way considered teaching ? I don't get it, sorry.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:25 AM

13,253 posts, read 33,437,211 times
This article was published in 2009 and is from a UK newspaper. Just an fyi. No way would that lesson fly here.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:25 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
This article was published in 2009 and is from a UK newspaper. Just an fyi. No way would that lesson fly here.
Actually, as I posted previously, they did a very similar activity in my kids' health classes in middle school, some 10-15 years ago now. Our city has a large conservative religious community with many members that don't like health education anyway, and who exempt their kids from these classes. However, one such member of this community put her kid in the class, only to take her out after this activity. The child was very upset, b/c that is simply not the type of language her family used at home. So it seems the teacher shot him/herself in the foot.

The kids in this story were only 11. A lot of 11 year olds haven't heard all those words yet, and many of them don't know what they really mean, anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education