Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 09:29 PM

442 posts, read 1,575,304 times

Advertisements

My question is....how does you child even get ahold of these "entirely too skimpy" outfits in the first place?

You (and I'm speaking generally, not directly) take your kid to the mall..buy them clothes..so you see what items they're purchasing. Why do you let them leave the store with such items in hand?

I'm 22 years old...a very beautiful, modern girl, and I wear my occassional skimpy outfit when the occasion or weather calls for it... BUT I'm baffled at how parents (mothers, more so) could let their little teenage girl walk out of the house wearing some of the things they do, perfectly KNOWING what perverse sickos are out there staring them from the ***** down.

For some girls I think it is a phase. I wore my fair share of mini skirts and tank tops for sure, but some of the things I saw my classmates wearing was just appalling..as if they had no self respect for their image. White shorts you could see right through, micro mini skirts or shorts made of 3inches fabric, tops that proudly showed off "the girls" (these things certainly not age-appropriate).

For all the retard parents out there...trust me, in college there is PLENTY of time for your little girl to dress and act like a "working woman".
For those teenage years...well, please stop encouraging child predators

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
We have, at times, had to sit our daughter down and explain in detail what she is and is not to wear to school. This is usually just after she has tried to sneak out the door wearing something that is completely inappropriate in terms of being

1) a general fashion faux pas,
2) the wrong season (tank top and short shorts when it's 40F outside).
3) entirely too skimpy and generally not meeting the school dress code, and/or
4) way...way...overdressed (tried to wear Sunday-best dress).

I think every parent has probably been there with their daughter at some point in time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 09:41 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,809,063 times
The high school where I teach has, essentially, no dress code. Oh, there are prohibitions against clothing that promotes drugs, alcohol and gangs, but otherwise pretty much anything goes.

We have girls with short shorts and low-low-low cut tops and boys with pants so baggy that I can describe their boxer shorts to them -- and none of them has even the slightest clue that what they're wearing might be even the slightest bit unacceptable.

ETA: A couple of years ago, one of my girls wore a t-shirt that read, "Yes, I know I have a nice a**". I had to pull her aside and tell her that "nice girls" don't wear that kind of thing. Again, she had no clue .....

Old 04-07-2009, 10:09 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
Yes, I forgot the part about clothing that doesn't advertise drugs or alcohol. My kids weren't allowed to wear that stuff, either. OTOH, I really don't have problems with spaghetti straps, things like that. I wore my skirts fairly short, too, back in my college days.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:19 PM

31,680 posts, read 40,970,152 times
Dress codes aren't easy to enforce for a number of reasons. It becomes tricky across gender. Do you really want the male staff staring at the girls walking down the hall to see if they are dressed seductively or what happens when they bend over in short skirts or in a top that doesn't come up to their neck? Not always easy to explain to a parent when it isn't obvious in a conference. Girls can usually adjust their skirts 3-5 inches depending on audience. Same ability with boys to make adjustments. Just imagine when the father comes in for a conference and asks the principal why the teacher was watching his daughter bend over and letting it get him off task. Rules like skirts can't come higher than the end of the finger tips are nice until you get the girl with long legs and short arms.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Dress codes aren't easy to enforce for a number of reasons. It becomes tricky across gender. Do you really want the male staff staring at the girls walking down the hall to see if they are dressed seductively or what happens when they bend over in short skirts or in a top that doesn't come up to their neck? Not always easy to explain to a parent when it isn't obvious in a conference. Girls can usually adjust their skirts 3-5 inches depending on audience. Same ability with boys to make adjustments. Just imagine when the father comes in for a conference and asks the principal why the teacher was watching his daughter bend over and letting it get him off task. Rules like skirts can't come higher than the end of the finger tips are nice until you get the girl with long legs and short arms.

Well if the school system ever regained the back bone it once had (as I hear from my mom, aunt, and uncles), then I guess the dress code could be a little more black and white and we wouldn't have to discuss all of these absurd gray areas

By saying "it becomes tricky across gender" is just making a HUGE excuse as to why it is not enforced. I'd rather have the male faculty staring down the hallway to ensure the student is dressed properly, rather than have the male faculty stare for...oh, just the sake of staring. In which case, if the dress code were enforced properly, we wouldn't have to worry about the latter of the two scenarios

Old 04-07-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyMissAshley View Post
Well if the school system ever regained the back bone it once had (as I hear from my mom, aunt, and uncles), then I guess the dress code could be a little more black and white and we wouldn't have to discuss all of these absurd gray areas

By saying "it becomes tricky across gender" is just making a HUGE excuse as to why it is not enforced. I'd rather have the male faculty staring down the hallway to ensure the student is dressed properly, rather than have the male faculty stare for...oh, just the sake of staring. In which case, if the dress code were enforced properly, we wouldn't have to worry about the latter of the two scenarios
You might prefer that but the teacher accused or getting the reputation for checking the girls out wouldn't. However there are probably a number of men who wouldn't mind going in to teaching so they could get paid to look at 15-18 year old girls dressed in somewhat skimpy attire. Remember school districts prefer to come down on the side of prudence when questions of teacher behavior come up. Students know when to turn it on and when to turn it off and when the administrator reviews the outfit it can look very different. Now when the quarterback is around it can be something else again. Sometimes tight clothes are just a kid putting on weight as they are growing. Busty girls can have more of a problem avoiding having their mid section become exposed then some one less endowed. It is a matter of physics.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:50 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
Quote:
You might prefer that but the teacher accused or getting the reputation for checking the girls out wouldn't. However there are probably a number of men who wouldn't mind going in to teaching so they could get paid to look at 15-18 year old girls dressed in somewhat skimpy attire. Remember school districts prefer to come down on the side of prudence when questions of teacher behavior come up. Students know when to turn it on and when to turn it off and when the administrator reviews the outfit it can look very different. Now when the quarterback is around it can be something else again. Sometimes tight clothes are just a kid putting on weight as they are growing. Busty girls can have more of a problem avoiding having their mid section become exposed then some one less endowed. It is a matter of physics.
This is true, and busty girls sometimes wear baggy tops to keep prying eyes away.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
This is true, and busty girls sometimes wear baggy tops to keep prying eyes away.
And that is very wise on their part. While sweat pants and tops are not stylish they are comfortable and modest. I am including some links for folks read if interested about policies and school districts.
Officials Check Out Dress Code Violations At Wake Schools :: WRAL.com
WCPSS: Board Policy - Inappropriate Student Behavior (6410)
Oakton High School

Old 04-07-2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
And that is very wise on their part. While sweat pants and tops are not stylish they are comfortable and modest. I am including some links for folks read if interested about policies and school districts.
Officials Check Out Dress Code Violations At Wake Schools :: WRAL.com
WCPSS: Board Policy - Inappropriate Student Behavior (6410)
Oakton High School
Please. Again, with the gray areas. There are plenty of cute, fancy, pretty, flowy, fashionable tops that busty girls can wear and still not show off the goods. But when a dress code is not enforced, why bother?

Old 04-08-2009, 12:59 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,072,665 times
I went to high school from 2000-2004. I went to four separate high schools in three counties that bordered each other in southern California. My first high school didn't have a school dress code. It did, however, have a district dress code that wasn't enforced. The administration was too busy dealing with gang issues to worry about that. I hear that they have since gotten a new dress code. My other schools had pretty much the same dress code. Skirts couldn't be "too short." The same went for shorts. However, shorts weren't popular in that day and age. You had to have sleeves on your shirt. They couldn't be spaghetti straps or tanks. No gang, sex, drug, or alcohol related things. Did anyone follow the rules? Not really. Girls still wore things that almost showed their cheeks. I always wondered how they sat down. The only rule I ever saw enforced was at my last high school. They made a rule that no one could wear an iron cross. There were a lot of kids into motocross and such things that use the iron cross all the time. I definitely think that schools need a tougher dress code that should be enforced. School is not the place for girls to be dressing like hookers. Of course, there is no proper place for that, but school is definitely not it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education