Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 01:08 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,980,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Where did I ever say that one or the other was the "end-all-be-all of socialization?"

I said that:

1. Some parents shouldn't be homeschooling ebcause they themselves are functionally illiterate themselves.

2. Some parents who are homeschooling are being detrimental to their childs social development.

3. Some homeschoolers are both providing a good education as well as a well rounded social life for their kids.

Are you disagreeing with any of that?
Nope.

I was referring to this post:

Quote:
Because the ones with no social skills are often going to be the children of parents with no social skills who wouldn't be participating in homeschool groups.

Or as in my example a couple of posts up--the parents are too busy creating what they think will be the person to cure cancer and feel that he doesn't have time for silly child's play--school is more important. Again, they aren't involved with homeschool groups--their child (in their eyes) is far above that.

That's why you don't know them.
I was merely pointing out that we don't only know people from homeschool groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 01:22 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,625,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Just a thought; maybe he could take a class at a community college. When looking for a job, he could rightfully say he is working on a college degree. Community colleges take people for one class at a time and aren't anywhere near as expensive as classes at 4 year colleges.

A GED would be a smart move as well.
I know at my local CC, they have a free program to help those that don't have a degree prep for the GED and at the end they can take the GED test for free as well.

Maybe that is something the OP's bf can look into as well.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:26 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,625,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dez181 View Post
Yes there are subpar homeschooling programs that I have seen the outcome of in the past couple of years. So yes there are some parents doing a great job, and there are some others that I would not be bragging about. Those same kids acing tests and winning geography bees are the ones that have no social skills to speak of, and have a limited view of the world. Not every program is successful otherwise this thread would not have been started.
I take GREAT offense to that, sorry. Not all intelligent HS'ed children are social rejects, nor do they have a limited view of the world.

Is it possible for you to paint with any broader of a brush?

Old 05-15-2009, 01:29 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,027,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
Nope.

I was referring to this post:

I was merely pointing out that we don't only know people from homeschool groups.
And again, I specifically stated that some of the homeschoolers I know have their kids involved in a myriad of activities, not just homeschool groups.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:45 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,091,126 times
It it just me or are the homeschooling chearleaders in this thread merely proving his point for him? From an outsider, you know what this looks like? An inability to logically break-down an argument and as well, an inability to handle a differing opinion (must be of the religious homeschooling variety). He did NOT say all homeschoolers were socially inept, uneducated dimwit, and in fact, he said what he said in about the nicest manner possible and a few of you are jumping down his throat. He merely mentioned that this was another example of where homeschooling can be seriously, seriously bad, and it is. There are some parents who have or had no business attempting to be the primary education leader of their children in modern society. And this happens ALOT. And to everyone who commented who homeschooling IMPROVED their education for them, I am so happy about this. Turn to your mother or father right now and thank them, because you're lucky. There is a serious problem in this country with education, and it isn't just in its schools. Much of it begins at home and when some parents think they can do a better job than others, sometimes they succeed, and sometimes they fail. And the homeschooling groups you're currently wherein you think everyone else is ''on the right track'' may not be quite as peachy as you seem to think it is.

My children are going to be both in school and schooled at home, but there aren't the percentage of parents who are willing, able, or educated enough to successfully do this. For all the homeschoolers who are coming on this thread and essentially ransacking it with little reason or understanding of what is being dealt with here, step back and see that no one is painting homeschooling with a dull brush. We're only saying that this CAN be a problem, and it is. Jesus. This thread makes me want to poke my eyes out.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:57 PM

223 posts, read 531,627 times
"It it just me or are the homeschooling chearleaders in this thread merely proving his point for him? From an outsider, you know what this looks like? An inability to logically break-down an argument and as well, an inability to handle a differing opinion (must be of the religious homeschooling variety). He did NOT say all homeschoolers were socially inept, uneducated dimwit, and in fact, he said what he said in about the nicest manner possible and a few of you are jumping down his throat. He merely mentioned that this was another example of where homeschooling can be seriously, seriously bad, and it is. There are some parents who have or had no business attempting to be the primary education leader of their children in modern society. And this happens ALOT. And to everyone who commented who homeschooling IMPROVED their education for them, I am so happy about this. Turn to your mother or father right now and thank them, because you're lucky. There is a serious problem in this country with education, and it isn't just in its schools. Much of it begins at home and when some parents think they can do a better job than others, sometimes they succeed, and sometimes they fail. And the homeschooling groups you're currently wherein you think everyone else is ''on the right track'' may not be quite as peachy as you seem to think it is.

My children are going to be both in school and schooled at home, but there aren't the percentage of parents who are willing, able, or educated enough to successfully do this. For all the homeschoolers who are coming on this thread and essentially ransacking it with little reason or understanding of what is being dealt with here, step back and see that no one is painting homeschooling with a dull brush. We're only saying that this CAN be a problem, and it is. Jesus. This thread makes me want to poke my eyes out."

Thank you! Amen! I think that is what we have all been trying to say.

Last edited by dez181; 05-15-2009 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: add

Old 05-15-2009, 02:51 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,980,752 times
Actually, the thread was moving along quite nicely until this was posted:

Quote:
I feel bad for his situation, although it is another reason why homeschool is sketchy at best. I have seen parents do a great job with homeschool, although more often than not I have seen what happen with your boyfriend or kids with subpar abilities.
A completely unprovoked jab at homeschoolers. Of course we're going to respond. Homeschoolers are constantly dragged through the mud, so to speak, accused to having subpar curriculum, sketchy motives, and no social ability.

Of course there can be rare "homeschooling" parents who are locking them up and keeping them from the rest of society, just as there are public school parents who abuse their kids once they get off of the bus. Somehow, those (abusive public schooling) parents are not brought up in every thread where someone makes a comment about their child's school, but the odd pale-faced, abnormally shy, illiterate, weird homeschooling family that everyone seems to know personally is always brought up in any thread about homeschooling. (And, actually, this particular thread was NOT about homeschooling, but about the LACK of homeschooling that was going on. Whether the boyfriend dropped out of a homeschooling program or a public school program is really no matter... if he'd dropped out of public school, no one would say "and this is why public school is sketchy at best.")

Old 05-15-2009, 03:04 PM

901 posts, read 2,987,099 times
This thread has been hijacked and turned into yet another, home schooling vs. traditional schooling thread. It's not fair to the OP because her question wasn't about that. She wants to know what to do now that her BF is not being homeschooled anymore and has not finished/graduated. If I were the OP, I'd be pissed.

To the OP: If I were him, I would think about enrolling in high school and seeing how many credits they would give him (based on the work he did with his mom). Afterall, he's only 18. Home schooling regulations vary greatly from state to state. If your state has loose regulations, then they may not be willing to work with him. If that's the case, then he should go for his GED.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:36 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,123,802 times
I don't know what state you live in, but there are alternative high schools out there that will accept students up to the age of 21. The curriculum is online and you create your own hours. Your transcript is looked at and then depending on state standards, your courses are selected on what you have left to get. Everything is individualized so your program is different from others. From there, you come to school and work on the computer, online, in 1 classroom with about 3-4 teachers in the same room who are highly qualifed (state certified teachers) in their subject area. You can work as many or as little hours (although they recommend time) as you want. They are an accredited high school so it will be a diploma, not a GED. Behavior problems/class clowns don't exist because there is no student audience to entertain. Students are there because they want to be there, its a quiet environment, more like one on one tutoring. Enrollment happens year round.
Life Skills Centers is one that I know of.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Excellent suggestions, Sam82. It takes a teacher!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education