U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2009, 09:25 PM

13 posts, read 21,651 times

Advertisements

Are any of you familiar with a blind school in your area? If so, would you consider it a good place to send your child to get a high school diploma or would you rather put them in public school mainstreaming them?

Im looking for information opinions on the quality of education in the cities that have a blind school. I have a daughter who will possibly be attending a blind school this year. And, im not really wanting to live in a large city but would enjoy all the conveniences of one.

We are wanting to move out of state and need some serious opinions thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 09:38 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,556,982 times
United States Schools for the Blind and Visually Handicapped

A list with email addresses for schools for the blind.

Good luck

Old 05-15-2009, 06:48 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,349,644 times
I have heard of lots of wonderful things about our School for the Deaf and Blind in Colorado Springs. They even compete with other schools in sports. Very smart kids! And boy do they get defensive when you talk about accomodating them. They have their own identity and culture and do not want to lose it. They think we are the idiots for thinking "poor blind/deaf one"...because life is GREAT! I remember a deaf individual told someone off for handing out the pity card in an effort to help them. Lots of respect for them in our community/area.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:12 AM

13 posts, read 21,651 times
my bf did some army training in colorado and wants to live there someday. i have researched that blind school and the nfb center too and yes id love to go there im sure its great as the video says. however due to time restraints and financial issues i doubt we could really make it work so we started researching closer to here in MS and found a center we feel can give resource and other support while we continue to mainstream. she cant "go" there cause its for deaf & blind individuals.. and she is "normal" aside from her being blind.. but thanks so much anyways maybe in 3 yrs when things get better????

Old 07-10-2009, 10:55 PM

16 posts, read 30,487 times
I am training to be a teacher of the blind and visually impaired. I haven't visited any schools for the blind yet but I've been researching the schools for the blind in Washington, Maryland, and California and they all sound wonderful. The school for the deaf and blind in Florida is also supposed to be supurb and graduates a lot of academic students.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:52 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,086,426 times
I just got into a training program to be a teacher of the blind and vision impaired. So here's my take...

Schools for the blind are not the only option for your child.

Most public schools have itinerant teachers for the blind and vision impaired. Those teachers travel from school to school within a district to meet with and support the student with vision impairment who is in a regular, mainstreamed class. They can teach braille, provide training in orientation and mobility, provide modifications to ensure complete access to the curriculum, etc.

Talk to your public school district if you are planning to explore this option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or