Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 02:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

^^Yes, I know that, but I was just trying to brainstorm. Some schools do have one-way observation windows. It's possible though that a volunteer, such as FarNorthDallas, could be placed. She observed a teacher being mean to a kid. (I don't mean placing her, of course, I mean having a parent volunteer report back after volunteering.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 02:28 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^Yes, I know that, but I was just trying to brainstorm. Some schools do have one-way observation windows. It's possible though that a volunteer, such as FarNorthDallas, could be placed. She observed a teacher being mean to a kid. (I don't mean placing her, of course, I mean having a parent volunteer report back after volunteering.)

I understand, there has to be some kind of solution, the tape recorder may very well be illegal, but the parent found out that her child was telling her the truth, whether or not she ever shares it with anyone else or not.

I can remember back years ago when my son was in the third grade, [he's well into adulthood now] he was a good student, but for some reason stopped doing his classwork, the teacher gave me a call, I showed at his classroom a couple of days in a row and sat down in a chair right next to him. Never had to do that again. Just had to share that story.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:29 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
I've been thinking about this thread and it just seems like this world has become a wierd, creepy place when we feel like we need extra credit for high schoolers (really??!!), observation windows (would moms just bring a book and sit and watch their kid all day??) and tape recorders? Maybe I'm inferring too much about other schools based on our own wonderful school, but I can't imagine a teacher would do something so HORRIBLE (voodoo? beatings?) to my kid that I feel the need to babysit the teacher. I think it I had the level of mistrust, I would homeschool.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:31 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
I understand what your saying, if I heard "oh really" or "thats to bad",
I would have been tickled to death to get that much interest from them,
In those days Moms stayed home and didn't work, so it wasn't for the lack of time.

Wanting to fix everything, is an extreme as well, sometimes you have to sit it out for a while.
Ha ha, so true. My dad was actually surprised when I told him that graduation was on xxx day, he didn't even realize that I was a senior. He was a wonderful, dear, hard working father and he hadn't a clue about what I did all day. Life in the 1960s-70s.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I've been thinking about this thread and it just seems like this world has become a wierd, creepy place when we feel like we need extra credit for high schoolers (really??!!), observation windows (would moms just bring a book and sit and watch their kid all day??) and tape recorders? Maybe I'm inferring too much about other schools based on our own wonderful school, but I can't imagine a teacher would do something so HORRIBLE (voodoo? beatings?) to my kid that I feel the need to babysit the teacher. I think it I had the level of mistrust, I would homeschool.
Well, I did have that classmate that got his head banged against the blackboard, and I mean hard, and all of us who were in school that day saw it. I have heard other rumors about physical acts from that teacher, but that's all I ever saw personally. I will say, that was a long time ago, and in a small school with only two teachers. (The other teacher was the 'principal'.) I don't know why that teacher wasn't fired, or at least suspended. My dad said there was a teacher shortage at the time, but sheesh!

Old 06-15-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
I understand, there has to be some kind of solution, the tape recorder may very well be illegal, but the parent found out that her child was telling her the truth, whether or not she ever shares it with anyone else or not.

I can remember back years ago when my son was in the third grade, [he's well into adulthood now] he was a good student, but for some reason stopped doing his classwork, the teacher gave me a call, I showed at his classroom a couple of days in a row and sat down in a chair right next to him. Never had to do that again. Just had to share that story.
Well, that shows that observing a teacher can make a difference, even if s/he knows s/he is being observed. I know what mimimom is trying to say. I trusted my kids to tell me what was going on, and believe me, no news was good news. I did not ask for special favors, spelling words specially formatted for my kids like one of my neighbors did, things like that. But I know from my own experience (see my previous post) that things can go radically wrong sometimes.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, I did have that classmate that got his head banged against the blackboard, and I mean hard, and all of us who were in school that day saw it. I have heard other rumors about physical acts from that teacher, but that's all I ever saw personally. I will say, that was a long time ago, and in a small school with only two teachers. (The other teacher was the 'principal'.) I don't know why that teacher wasn't fired, or at least suspended. My dad said there was a teacher shortage at the time, but sheesh!

I bet seeing that kids head banged against the blackboard made a big impression on you! Good grief. Poor boy. Today, a police car would have pulled up to take her away, that would have been on the 6'oclock news broadcast.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
I bet seeing that kids head banged against the blackboard made a big impression on you! Good grief. Poor boy. Today, a police car would have pulled up to take her away, that would have been on the 6'oclock news broadcast.
It was pretty bad. I can almost remember what he was wearing. I think it was a white shirt. This was about 50 years ago, hate to admit I'm that old! His parents just up and moved, didn't even try to fight it.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post

What's really scary is that due to the recession teachers are being layed off, the amount of children in a classroom will increase adding more stress for a teacher, possibly less work done during class time. Homeschooling will definately be on the rise.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:41 PM

853 posts, read 4,035,447 times
These responses have been very interesting and helpful. I know teacher's have a tough job, and I can only imagine they will have a tougher job as more teacher's are layed off and class sizes get even bigger. I also agree that parent's can get too involved and in a way that can inhibit the child's growth as an independent person.

I'd like to ask a question though. If parents stay out of issues like this, and do not do something, then aren't they just letting the next group of kids get the same treatment? Is this OK?

Also, if it is not OK, but nobody believes kids because they tend to embelish, and adminstrators side with teacher's and/or do not believe stories easily, and teacher's want to hold onto their jobs even though it may be time to retire, and parents can not tape without permission, and teacher's act great when parents are around, then how do things get fixed?

I am pretty sure my son now has a label now as a difficult kid and I have one as a difficult parent. I was writing here to get outside views (which I got!), so that I could think about what to do. I absolutely do not wish to cause trouble for the teacher, myself, or my son. I am just trying to figure out what is the right thing to do and what to do for my son's school situation next year. I also want my son to grow up learning that he does have rights, and he does have some control over his life, so I have to balance all of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education