Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 12:23 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,606 times

Advertisements

Well, at least it's art. Too bad it'll be turned into a bullseye for opinion and interpreted to be something other than an art/math lesson 'tho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 09:53 AM

1,122 posts, read 2,315,294 times
It took TWO MONTHS to create this! This is the math lesson they are stuck on for TWO MONTHS! What a waste of tax payers dollars! It took all this time to teach children "linear programming math skills." The only other point I have is that there were a lot of odd ball things that were done before Hitler. They were seen as propaganda, to be seen after WII as aiding the enemy. I'm not saying things will get this bad, I'm just wondering how much of this we will see before it becomes way too much and everyone gets really bugged out about it. What if these things were happening during the Bush administration when the worst of the Iraq war was going on, you know, US kids building things like this of our president while thier Mom's and Dad's were praising the tearing down of statues of Saddam Hussein, you know, teaching them that this was WRONG?

They are celebrating a current moment, someone who will later be seen as a part of history because of his skin color. But what about all the other stuff? What has he really done? Not a whole lot yet. Leave the murals for people who have already impacted us greatly, such as Martin Luther King Jr., Harriet Tubman and Rosa Parks and use Obama when and if he actually does something significant for our country and more than has threatening some states with martial law for disagreeing with his opinion. Or maybe choose an actual hero of today.....someone who recently accomplished something besides just being black. (And for the record for those who might call me out as being some bigot (such as the media does with anyone who disagrees with the president)....African American blood is in DH's blood and my children's and with family members on both sides.)

Students create an Obaminoes mural (Creepy School Assignment) This link shows it in the background.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:49 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,121 times
I don't necessarily have a problem with them using Obama as their subject, but if they are using it to push political views on the children, that would be where I would have a problem.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:02 PM

[quote=flik_becky;11215306]It took TWO MONTHS to create this! This is the math lesson they are stuck on for TWO MONTHS! What a waste of tax payers dollars! It took all this time to teach children "linear programming math skills." [quote]

I see and respect your points, but frankly, I think what passes for mathematics now-a-days is pretty much a "waste of taxpayer dollars" in general.

Old 10-17-2009, 02:21 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
This is pretty good. There isn't anything weird or disturbing about it and it's not a waste of time in class. Some of you clearly have no clue what actually goes on it class. This was a learning experience. And the fact that it's the President, and not a Rap artist or something (the stuff kids usually go for), ought to make you proud. I wonder why it doesn't? Well, not really. I already know.

Old 10-17-2009, 02:43 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Well, that was a great use of school time . Exactly what did this exercise teach the students? Sorry but I fail to see the educational value given they spent 2 months on it. I hope this was done as an after school activity and they didn't waste class time on it.

Old 10-17-2009, 06:25 AM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
I don't necessarily have a problem with them using Obama as their subject, but if they are using it to push political views on the children, that would be where I would have a problem.
I think it's OK (indeed cool) when inner-city schools with an almost 100% minority population toot Obama, it is a historic event that relates to them and there's nothing wrong in "pride" (and for that matter, it mostly happened right after the election, when doing that was relevant). But outside of that it does at least look like "indoctrination" and though I personally am not against him, I do completely understand and respect that people who majorly disagree with him would rightly be uncomfortable with it.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:40 AM

So I clicked the WWLP-TV to dig a little deeper and found this:

Building the Mural | Obaminoes at Franklin Avenue Elementary School (http://obaminoes.wsc.ma.edu/building%20the%20mural - broken link)

It took far too long to download the pictures (probably because it's just my decrepit computer) but the more I scrolled through the pictures, the more it looked exactly like the typical Everyday Mathematics class that I have spent many years observing first-hand in that there was all sorts of patterning and planning, etc...with manipulatives. It's just dominoes instead of base 10 blocks/pattern blocks and other manipulatives they use. So, offhand, I'd say that it probably was during classtime.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:34 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
So I clicked the WWLP-TV to dig a little deeper and found this:

Building the Mural | Obaminoes at Franklin Avenue Elementary School (http://obaminoes.wsc.ma.edu/building%20the%20mural - broken link)

It took far too long to download the pictures (probably because it's just my decrepit computer) but the more I scrolled through the pictures, the more it looked exactly like the typical Everyday Mathematics class that I have spent many years observing first-hand in that there was all sorts of patterning and planning, etc...with manipulatives. It's just dominoes instead of base 10 blocks/pattern blocks and other manipulatives they use. So, offhand, I'd say that it probably was during classtime.
If this took two months of classtime, it was a waste of time.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
If this took two months of classtime, it was a waste of time.

And hence the reason that I'm neither a fan of Everyday Math nor partisan politics in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education