Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 03:04 PM

841 posts, read 4,839,467 times

Advertisements

I can see her point.
My son's 1st grade teacher gave the kids candy all the time as incentives, as leftovers from some 'art' project, etc. It got to the point where I had to write her note to ask her to please use pencils and other non-food related items as incentives for my son. He was coming home with candy every week, several days in one week. Plus his reading teacher would give candy.
His teacher abided by this for a couple of months, then went back to giving candy.
I'm hoping his 2nd grade teacher doesn't use candy for incentives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 03:25 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,784,659 times
She's pretty hot for 40...LOL

Old 06-20-2009, 04:41 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
well my mother taught me to say no with stuff like that and that is what she needs to teach her kids to do . She is trying to force her beliefs on others and she is not going to get very far doing that . I wish her luck but honestly she needs to stop .

Old 06-20-2009, 09:57 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Our elementary school just says NO to any and all special treats like that. Birthday kids can celebrate at home. Younger kids can bring in a book for the teacher to read, get a paper crown to wear if they want, and they sing happy birthday. Trust me, nobody feels the least bit cheated and I think all schools should do this. We have gone overboard with making kids feel "special".

Old 06-21-2009, 10:30 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times
I am so tired of people thinking they have the right to tell everyone else what to eat. Good Lord, why don't they just run their own kitchen and leave everyone else alone?

Old 06-21-2009, 10:47 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,344,730 times
I understand where she is coming from but I don't want her or the government telling me and my family what we can eat. We all know that cupcakes, candy, etc. are not health foods and should be eaten in moderation.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:04 AM

948 posts, read 3,356,136 times
Default So now, dumb AND fat kids are being defended...

Our schools gone overboard with all the cupcakes for all the birthday's and holidays! These constant parties for any reason have not only made our kids fatter, but they have taken away academic time. Not only are our kids becoming fatter, they're less educated.

I mean, really--when is there time to do some actual work? We are a fat culture and this mom is dead on. Funny side note, the last pta meeting I went to to ask about adding healthy snacks, I was met with real hostility from the fat moms. Was it a shocker to find out that their kids were fat, too??

Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
She sounds like an overbearing control freak, IMO.

No offense, but if you don't want your kid to eat crap food, teach them why it's bad for them, and teach them to say "NO!"; forcing your beliefs on others is not very nice.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:38 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,343,192 times
I agree w/ this mom on some points, but disagree w/ her methods. it's the kind of over-the-top comments and antics that PETA is well known and despised for. her message is being tainted by her attitude and zealousness (really, how is dissing Jordin Sparks for being overweight, having run ins w/ the police, and throwing a tantrum at a Valentine's day meeting going to help kids eat healthy and lose weight?). whatever happened to attracting more flies w/ honey instead of vinegar? in the article, it says her antics resulted in other parents becoming annoyed by her, and therefore, possibly ignoring her message. plus, I do worry for these kids since it's likely they will develop some unhealthy attitudes towards food (I hope 6 year old Julia doesn't turn into a 16 year old so obsessed w/ avoiding junk food that it affects her overall enjoyment. it's a noted fact that many people w/ eating disorders have an over-the-top fascination w/ food and calories)

on the one hand, having bake sales and sundae sales at school to raise money was very typical and something almost every HS student group has done. but on the other hand, there are other ways to raise money like arts and crafts sales and car washes. it's just sad to see something like this completely disappear from school grounds in the future (I would LOVE to someday be the mom that baked cupcakes and cookies for her kids' school bake sale or an upcoming holiday party)

Old 06-22-2009, 05:38 AM

467 posts, read 983,830 times
I agree to a point. You gotta let kids be kids and have some fun once in awhile, too.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:59 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,938,945 times
My SIL has taught her son that sweets are bad... the kid won't even drink juice! (He's 7) Last summer, all the cousins were here, together. This kid wouldn't taste one of the cookies, even after his mom said it was okay. He says he just doesn't like him.

Perhaps if this mom had taught her kids from a young age like my SIL did, she wouldn't have to crusade and try to legislate what MY kids put in their mouths.

Just read the article. I quote, "Show me an American that knows what 'moderation' means," Roth said.

Well, she sure won't be on that list!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education