Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 04:03 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,047,723 times

Advertisements

The fight against junk food is like trying to stop a tidal wave. Junk food is cheap, and it's everywhere. While I find the woman at the center of this firestorm more than a bit strident, I can't find fault with her concerns.

My son's first grade teacher kept a snack closet and passed out treats every day. I have no problem with a snack to fight the afternoon doldrums, but because she depended on parents to stock the closet at the beginning of the year, it wasn't healthy foods. It was highly-processed, shelf-stable, high sodium or sugar carbs like cheese crackers & "fruit" snacks rather than the whole grains and fruit the kids needed to fuel their brains to the end of the day. I started sending in snacks for him myself, but it's hard for apple slices with almond butter and a bottle of water to compete against pizza-flavored Goldfish crackers and Capri Sun.

And, now with high-stakes testing creating an environment that's hostile to recess and budget cuts threatening physical education classes, our children are facing not only immediate obesity but tremendous future health problems like high blood pressure and diabetes.

But before we all throw up our hands in defeat, here's an interesting article about one Principal's quest to establish healthy habits at a Georgia elementary school. It's an inspiring read!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 05:12 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,223,371 times
It's a whole different ball game when the school itself is behind it. I think that when everyone is on the same page it can work out well.

So, my kid comes home from school and there is a notice from the nurse that is about 3 pages long that discusses nutrition in his folder. In the very same folder, is a page that states supporting the school by purchasing items from the Market Pantry is important and this is stapled to the Market Pantry advertising. These are all items that I wouldn't purchase. They are all premade etc. There is also a notice stating that the PTO will be selling cotten candy on such and such a date for 50 cents. That just flat out pisses me off.

The school that is operating from that standpoint is vastly different then some crazy woman swearing or telling another woman that when she brings in birthday treats to send in an alternative for another child. That is crazy.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:13 AM

7 posts, read 135,022 times
[quote=John1960;9357901]One Manhattan mom's battle to prevent her children from getting junk food has turned into a food war between parent and school.

MeMe Roth, a 40-year-old mother of two, objects to children getting sweets like popsicles, cupcakes and cookies even during special occasions in public schools like the one her children attend.

Schools are responsible for teaching the basics of good nutrition, but are they also responsible for what children eat during school hours? While some parents are in schools, others are icing the cupcakes for classroom birthday parties.

Nutrition and psychology professionals are split on whether or not sugary treats should be permitted in schools. Most experts favor moderation, but a few strongly oppose bringing sweets to classroom parties.

Here's what the experts say on the subject of sweets in schools:

Last edited by toobusytoday; 02-05-2010 at 02:39 PM.. Reason: Sorry, new posters cannot post links

Old 02-05-2010, 10:14 AM

7 posts, read 135,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers19 View Post
I can see her point.
My son's 1st grade teacher gave the kids candy all the time as incentives, as leftovers from some 'art' project, etc. It got to the point where I had to write her note to ask her to please use pencils and other non-food related items as incentives for my son. He was coming home with candy every week, several days in one week. Plus his reading teacher would give candy.
His teacher abided by this for a couple of months, then went back to giving candy.
I'm hoping his 2nd grade teacher doesn't use candy for incentives.

Nutrition and psychology professionals are split on whether or not sugary treats should be permitted in schools. Most experts favor moderation, but a few strongly oppose bringing sweets to classroom parties.

Here's what the experts have to say about sweets in schools:

Last edited by toobusytoday; 02-05-2010 at 02:39 PM.. Reason: Sorry, New posters cannot post links

Old 02-05-2010, 12:52 PM

164 posts, read 298,301 times
Everything is fine in moderation, including moderation.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:56 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,966,998 times
These poor kids must be so messed up.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:37 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,787,328 times
It's our culture that is messed up--we really don't know the meaning of moderation, but I would probably be annoyed with this woman too. Our school is trying to reduce sugar consumption, so they took sugar sodas out of the vending machines and only sell diet soda, which is worse in my opinion. I work with a girl with a bad seizure disorder and I risk my job by buying her sodas from the teacher's lounge, but I don't care.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:00 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,748,351 times
Our district took out the soda machines & dictated what could & couldn't be brought to parties. But the approved party food list lasted about 1 year then was dropped like a hot fudge sundae.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:12 PM

297 posts, read 519,695 times
I agree with the permission slip idea. At the beginning of the school year, it will list all sweets such as cookies, cupcakes, chips, etc. The parents can check off what foods their child is allowed to eat. So if a student brings in treats for their birthday, the teacher will know what students are allowed to have them.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
It's our culture that is messed up--we really don't know the meaning of moderation, but I would probably be annoyed with this woman too. Our school is trying to reduce sugar consumption, so they took sugar sodas out of the vending machines and only sell diet soda, which is worse in my opinion. I work with a girl with a bad seizure disorder and I risk my job by buying her sodas from the teacher's lounge, but I don't care.
I agree that diet soda is worse than sugared soda, especially for kids. Why not at least sell bottled water instead?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education