Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2009, 02:05 PM

1,122 posts, read 2,315,618 times

Advertisements

Here is a FANTASTIC link for those who like to go on and on about the value of parents being certified.

Comparing test scores....

At fourth grade level the certified parents children tested out at 82%. The uncertified parents children are match that at 82%.

At 8th grade levele the test score came in, 83% from the certified and 84% from the uncertified.

HSLDA | Home Schooling Works!--The Scholastic Achievement and Demographic Characteristics of Home School Students in 1998
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 03:02 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,694,633 times
as to the debate issue...granted the message boards are full of debates. Anywhere you go on CD you will find debates...however, there is one or others who seems to be in many forums/threads debating about everything in each one. I've noticed this in many cases since i became a member. And some debaters are better and more pleasant than others. There is one thing to debate and then there is debating into the ground.
Again this is only my opinion, and thats just that..my opinion. I'm not here to slam anyone by any means, but some times you have to state your case, and move on. you can debate statistics until your blue in the face. there are statistics every where and change all the time. The homeschooling issue has been an issue for a long time. For those who dont agree with it, or like it..thats okay say your peace and keep moving, for those who homeschool...do your best and make sure that its best for the child...and for those who use to homeschool like i did...stand proud of what you did.

Last edited by sunshineann; 07-09-2009 at 03:16 PM.. Reason: smooth the ground some.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:23 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeyes View Post
Again, How do you know I don't know what I am teaching? Just because I am not a teacher in the public school system does not mean I have no knowledge of what I am doing!! And what makes you think were Uneducated people?? (So nice of you to call us uneducated people..thats great to hear from a so called educated person goes to show what kind of teacher you really are.)
Teachers need certification because they work under the State..homeschooling parents don't work for the state nor do they get paid for teaching as you do. If that's the case then maybe us Parents who homeschool should get paid too. And we still have to pay school taxes even though we homeschool, in which this is how you recieve your paycheck is through us uneducated homeschooling people paying taxes! Maybe your afraid that if parents keep homeschooling you might not get a paycheck in the future.

Again you bring up this demographics??

Yea and that was many many years ago before education was more advanced..And if the parents were educated back then the homeschooling would have continued as it does today.

I am sure there are some students that end up going back to regular schools but this doesn't mean it was due to a parent not knowing what they are doing.. it could be for many reasons. The child might choose to go back to school, or the parent couldn't find the time to work and homeschool, I am sure there are the select few that goes back because the parents couldn't handle the school work and wasn't able to find the resources for help.

Not all homes are a two parent household. I am not really sure where you were going with this.
It is great your children are excelling in the public school system, but I can't help but to think if you were not a school teacher how you would see homeschooling differently. I am not sure what the results are in homeschooling as you have no idea either. But I would think they should be pretty good results due to getting the one on one education from an uneducated parent otherwise it would have already been stopped. In which it hasn't and I am sure it is teachers like you who keep trying to stop it. But until then we will continue to homeschool and homeschooling will only get larger by the years to come.
Ir's pretty much a given you're not a subject matter expert in all subjects. If you are, hats off to you. Few of us put the kind of time into studies and getting the right experience to be masters of all subjects.

Odds have it you'd be hard pressed to find one person who is a subject matter expert in all subjects. It would be a very rare thing indeed.

Im not worried about a paycheck. Did you miss that I have a masters degree in chemical engineering? I don't need to teach. I teach because I want to teach. For as long as I can afford it anyway.

However, you do bring up a point worth discussing. How would society change if all parents homeschooled? First, there'd be no schools. Just agencies to oversee homeschooling and make sure it meets minimum standards. There'd be fewer jobs but that's ok because moms would have to quit theirs to homeschool whether the family could afford it ro not. And education would be hit or miss. We'd be back to the days when education was only as good as the parent could provide.

I don't think I'd want to live in a world where every parent homeschooled. I know I wouldn't want to be a kid in such a world.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:26 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,980,752 times
I woudln't want to live in a world where every parent homeschooled, either. The parks, museums, zoos, rec centers, and vacation destinations would be overrun with children on a daily basis... as it is, I'm looking forward to September first, when we'll have all of our favorite places back!

Glad there's something we can agree on!

Old 07-09-2009, 03:50 PM

1,122 posts, read 2,315,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Ir's pretty much a given you're not a subject matter expert in all subjects. If you are, hats off to you. Few of us put the kind of time into studies and getting the right experience to be masters of all subjects.

Odds have it you'd be hard pressed to find one person who is a subject matter expert in all subjects. It would be a very rare thing indeed.

Im not worried about a paycheck. Did you miss that I have a masters degree in chemical engineering? I don't need to teach. I teach because I want to teach. For as long as I can afford it anyway.

However, you do bring up a point worth discussing. How would society change if all parents homeschooled? First, there'd be no schools. Just agencies to oversee homeschooling and make sure it meets minimum standards. There'd be fewer jobs but that's ok because moms would have to quit theirs to homeschool whether the family could afford it ro not. And education would be hit or miss. We'd be back to the days when education was only as good as the parent could provide.

I don't think I'd want to live in a world where every parent homeschooled. I know I wouldn't want to be a kid in such a world.
Again with that word expert. Expert is also a matter of opinion and will vary. I am sure those who taught you in college are more qualified to call themselves experts. The real experts are the ones that not only work in the feild but are making advances in it, coming up with new theories and ideas. A high school teacher calling themselves an expert. High school teaching is a relative easy job to get, easy majors as most only have a few classes in that specific area to master, however, in another field, are required much more advanced training.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:57 PM

836 posts, read 3,381,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post

Again I like how you assume that I am not an educated person! What only teachers are educated?

There are lots of teachers out there who study for a certain subject and never master it but pass any way and go on to teach.

So what if you have a masters degree in chemical engineering doesn't mean you could use it in today's world!

I am not sure how society would have changed over the years, I am sure it would be close to what education is today only because everything else has grown over time.. such computers, cell phones etc.. This doesn't mean we wouldn't have educated people going to colleges or anything like that it would just mean we wouldn't have schools that cities keep wasting money on building over and over.. I have never seen so many schools being built when they should be using the money to better education. Just like here in NC.. they ask for a 200 billion dollar budget for the schools and instead of buying new computers or desk or whatever.. they used it to build more schools in which has done nothing but waste money and time and now they are broke and cutting the heck out of the budget to make things better.. blah... This is why I am glad I homeschool.
And why would moms have to quit their jobs you can homeschool anytime of the day it doesn't have to be just like regular schools from 8am to 2pm.. It can be done at anytime.

And if you grew up in that type of world you wouldn't know any better so how do you really know you wouldn't want to live in that kind of world, when you really don't know how the world would have turned out. You speculate to much.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:09 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,728,110 times
Quote:
And why would moms have to quit their jobs you can homeschool anytime of the day it doesn't have to be just like regular schools from 8am to 2pm.. It can be done at anytime.
I won't wade into the rest of this, but I think for most people it's highly unrealistic to think that a parent (mom or dad) can successfully homeschool while working; yes, school doesn't have to be done during traditional hours, but being a good teacher (of any type) takes a lot of time and effort. The average parent who tries to work, maintain a house, have time for non-school family pursuits (including a relationship with the other parent) AND teach their children is setting themselves - and their children - up for failure. There may be certain cases, or certain types of work, in which it's possible, but in most cases it's just not realistic.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:45 PM

836 posts, read 3,381,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I won't wade into the rest of this, but I think for most people it's highly unrealistic to think that a parent (mom or dad) can successfully homeschool while working; yes, school doesn't have to be done during traditional hours, but being a good teacher (of any type) takes a lot of time and effort. The average parent who tries to work, maintain a house, have time for non-school family pursuits (including a relationship with the other parent) AND teach their children is setting themselves - and their children - up for failure. There may be certain cases, or certain types of work, in which it's possible, but in most cases it's just not realistic.
Oh I completely understand that.. i was just trying to make a point. If it were simply that way we would all know no difference and it would just be part of our lives.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Again I like how you assume that I am not an educated person! What only teachers are educated?

There are lots of teachers out there who study for a certain subject and never master it but pass any way and go on to teach.

So what if you have a masters degree in chemical engineering doesn't mean you could use it in today's world!

I am not sure how society would have changed over the years, I am sure it would be close to what education is today only because everything else has grown over time.. such computers, cell phones etc.. This doesn't mean we wouldn't have educated people going to colleges or anything like that it would just mean we wouldn't have schools that cities keep wasting money on building over and over.. I have never seen so many schools being built when they should be using the money to better education. Just like here in NC.. they ask for a 200 billion dollar budget for the schools and instead of buying new computers or desk or whatever.. they used it to build more schools in which has done nothing but waste money and time and now they are broke and cutting the heck out of the budget to make things better.. blah... This is why I am glad I homeschool.

And if you grew up in that type of world you wouldn't know any better so how do you really know you wouldn't want to live in that kind of world, when you really don't know how the world would have turned out. You speculate to much.
I didn't assume you're not educated. I assumed you're not a subject matter expert in all subjects. Assuming you can read, there is a difference. I hold two masters degrees and I am not a subject matter expert in all subjects. There are few people in this world who are subject matter experts in all subjects. You can have an education and not be a subject matter expert in all subjects. In fact, most of us who have educations are exactly that. NOT subject matter experts in all subjects.

I know I would not want children's educations limited to that of their parents and that's what you do when you have everyone homeschool. We did that before and decided it was inadequate. I'm glad my kids have the opportunity to learn more than I did. They have that opportunity because they have professional teachers who are subject matter experts in their respective subjects as teachers in addition to me. I'm only an expert in a few subjects and even with that, it's nice that they get to see things more than one way. If they don't understand the way their teacher teaches, maybe they'll understand how I teach those subjects. As long as I'm not trying to usurp authority from the teacher, there is no reason that his teaching and mine can't work hand in hand.

Sorry, but you'd have to convince me that homeschooling was better in some way before I'd buy it. I just don't see it. Demographics alone would predict better results than you see with homeschooling. Where's the results?

My dd and I had a conversation in the car today about her classes next year. I reminded her that I can help her in science. She just looked at me and said "MOM, I'm taking biology next year". Even she knows that's not my area of expertise. Bio-chemistry yes, biology no. When she gets to chemistry and physics, I'll be able to help her. Biology, I'll leave to the expert in biology.

I do not consider myself expert enough to teach all subjects. Neither does the state. That's why they certified me to teach chemistry, math and physics. They did not certify me to teach all subjects because they're smart enough to know that two masters degrees doesn't make me a subject matter expert in all subjects. I'd need, at least, 3 more masters degrees...make that four as I probably should have a few foriegn languages in there too...even then I'd be hopeless at english. I can't diagram a sentence to save my soul. Nor can I correct one. I can write correct sentences but I can't articulate what makes them right. I just know when they sound right and wrong.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Few people would be able to hold down jobs and homeschool. While homeschooling should have time efficiencies, you'd still need a few hours a day and mom would also need prep time as she'll have to make sure she knows what she's teaching before she teaches it. It would be tough to manage a job, kids, a household and homeschooling. I think anyone who tries it has to be insane or hyper.

I did a year of working full time and tutoring my dd in the evenings. That convinced me to hire Sylvan for the tutoring. Just figuring out where she was lacking was a job and then I had to sit down and teach her. The tutors at Sylvan knew her type of issue well. It was much easier for them to tutor her. I just wish their service wasn't so expensive. That kind of 1:1 with an expert can have a lot of impact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education