U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 09:54 AM

4,459 posts, read 3,945,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
To think that I could single-handedly change the failing middle school just by my being involved is incredibly arrogant.
I'm guessing that most involved parents are not so much interested in changing the entire middle school as merely changing/controlling/keeping an eye on the part their family has to deal with.

As for me and mine...eh. The county schools are welcome to get along without us altogether.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 10:46 AM

10,043 posts, read 14,402,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
To think that I could single-handedly change the failing middle school just by my being involved is incredibly arrogant.
No, it's not. You are, of course, under no obligation to stay with the failing middle school or to get involved, but it's not arrogant of parents who do decide to stay to think that they can do something to change a school. It's not so much that one person's presence makes the difference, but rather that all of those individual people start gathering momentum and make a bigger change. Not to mention that one active, involved parent can mobilize forces to create significant changes.

It would be arrogant to think that you, and only you, could create that change, but the basic concept that one active parent can make a difference, and potentially a very large difference, isn't arrogant in the least.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:53 AM

10,043 posts, read 14,402,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
I'm guessing that most involved parents are not so much interested in changing the entire middle school as merely changing/controlling/keeping an eye on the part their family has to deal with.

As for me and mine...eh. The county schools are welcome to get along without us altogether.
I don't know if that's true. Well, maybe it is true that "most" parents have that view, but it's not the whole story. There are many examples of parents and non-parents alike working hard on behalf of the public schools to help improve things for everyone.

I see it as a social justice issue. Some parents may be able to homeschool their kids or choose an alternative private school, but like it or not most kids won't have any options. It's therefore in all of our interests to make sure that those public schools are a good option. Not everyone gets involved or sees it that way, of course, but there are many people dedicating massive amounts of time, energy, and often money to making the public schools a great option.

Homeschooling may still be the right option for many families, but ideally families will be able to make that decision not because the local public schools are bad or wouldnt do a good job, but because homeschooling is a better personal fit for their circumstances and needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education