Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 03:20 PM

508 posts, read 1,673,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Great...here I am one of those that don't know how to spell thier half the time! I before E except after C? And when am I supposed to use they're? Geeze it's been like 36 years since I was in grade school. And I can understand a teacher...that makes a living grading punctuation...getting riled from spelling errors.
But I do know grown adults that cannot read or write...that are smarter than I will ever hope to be. And I kid you not.
Like it or not, a person who cannot read or write is, by definition, illiterate. Perhaps one of the multitudes of reasons other cultures look so unfavorably on Americans is our tendency to glamorize ignorance. We spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on educational expenses to produce people who say things like, "he can't read or write, but he is really smart," or "I don't know grammar; it’s been 3X years since I was in school." I am not knocking you Rance, you simply created a perfect example.

As adults, we must have the expectation of being literate, functioning members of society with a fair level of academic skills if we are going to expect our children to excel in school. Basic concepts like grammar, arithmetic, basic mathematics (algebra & geometry), historical awareness, critical reading, and writing skills should be automatic for adults. We spend 12 years pumping students full of the basic academic information they need to survive and tell them how important it is to learn what is taught all the way through school so they can have opportunities. Fifteen years later that student is telling his kids the same thing that was said to him as a student - at the same time he calling a tutor to help his kid through high school math because he forgot everything he never actually learned in high school. The cycle continues. . .

It starts with personal accountability and standards. If a person won't take the time to write a proper complete sentence, what else do they not take the time to do correctly? I think it is highly important that we start living up to the potentials that we have as individual, educated people of the greatest country in the world and stop being apathetic and lazy about everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 09:27 AM

578 posts, read 2,529,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think.reciprocity View Post
That was, actually, unnecessarily RUDE & DISRESPECTFUL... & completely unnecessary...
Exactly, as you said: Different strokes for different folks,,,,you choose to use the "K" and NOBODY else has ever used it, so maybe its a trend that you started. However, I'm NOT being rude, disrespectful by giving my OPINION, that is what a forum is....Our thoughts, outlooks and editorial comments. I believe in "Telling it like it is"...As I see it. That is not disrespectful in MY CULTURE, which is Italian-American, so now what? we are at a Mexican stand-off? Whaaaa....Dont even try to take away my personal right to voice what I believe; just like I did not demean or denigrate yours. I just asked where you got such an idea that substitution of the "C" in African was common practice, acceptable in what country. Excuse you, and I accept an apology for jumping the gun on YOUR opinion about my comment.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:59 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,267,874 times
Exclamation Oh good grief....

This whole thing started a week ago - could we please just drop it? At least ratchet it back a notch. Does anyone really care whether the poster uses a "k" or not? Is the world going to tilt on the axis? Didn't think so....let it go. Phart...it ain't worth it.

Old 09-10-2007, 02:45 PM

14 posts, read 46,646 times
ppl are in a rush, nobody wants to spellcheck

Old 09-10-2007, 04:45 PM

578 posts, read 2,529,302 times
Okay its alright to use the obvious shortcuts, like "ppl" for people, and other speedwriting. But, we're basically talking about grown men/women who never had the grammatically correct knowledge in the first place. Not using excuses of "I haven't been in grade school in years"...Neither have I, but I know how to spell simple words, like "theif" is wrong...."Thief"...things like the rules of grammar: I before E except after C.
folks think that its a cop out, but its just showing that you actually earned that B.A. eh?

Old 09-10-2007, 04:56 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeleenieWeenie View Post
Okay its alright to use the obvious shortcuts, like "ppl" for people, and other speedwriting. But, we're basically talking about grown men/women who never had the grammatically correct knowledge in the first place. Not using excuses of "I haven't been in grade school in years"...Neither have I, but I know how to spell simple words, like "theif" is wrong...."Thief"...things like the rules of grammar: I before E except after C.
folks think that its a cop out, but its just showing that you actually earned that B.A. eh?
idk if its ok 2 use abbr all the time bc sometimes its hard 2 rd.

I understand the motivation behind these kinds of abbreviations and shorthand when texting from a handheld device. But when you have a full-size keyboard in front of your face, use the bloody thing. If I have to stop every 3 seconds and mentally translate whatever you're trying to say because every other word is a textspeak, I'm simply going to stop reading it before my eyes start to hurt.

Old 09-10-2007, 05:12 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,267,874 times
HeleenieWeenie, I'm going to have to take exception to your ideas. I feel I am quite literate. My sister is 9 years younger than I am. She thinks you start a paragraph with a capital letter and when you get to the end of the page you put a period. She can't spell, can't punctuate, wouldn't know a paragraph if it walked up and bit her in the butt.

She also makes in the mid triple figures every year and is a highly paid medical equipment representative, going into operating rooms across the south and helping surgeons use new equipment. She is a voracious reader. She's also known for making up words if the right one doesn't come to her. Lazy? Not hardly. Grammar and spelling her not her strong points; in fact, the whole concept eludes her. That's okay, she pays ME to edit her much of the time.

I had a public school education, J had a preparatory high school education. I went through three semesters of college before being declared a dismal failure; she has a masters degree in accounting and international business. She literally would not know the rules of grammar. For whatever reason, they dont' stick with her. She has spell and grammar check, EARNED her degrees, and now pays people to edit her. Incidentally, she is 41 years old, not hardly within your 20 year limit for poorer education.

Your main objections seem to be with people who don't know what dill is, and who spell one word differently. So what? Is that so different than Cindy with a 'y' or Cindi with an 'i'? It really is not going to change the course of the world.

I have issues with people being rude on a forum. Now what?

Old 09-10-2007, 06:59 PM

Location: West Augusta, GA, ATL, MIAMI, TAMPA, LA, HOUSTON, D.C.
88 posts, read 123,833 times
its just the internet, nobody is getting a grade for this

Old 09-10-2007, 09:33 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,423,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
HeleenieWeenie...

Your main objections seem to be with people who don't know what dill is, and who spell one word differently. So what? Is that so different than Cindy with a 'y' or Cindi with an 'i'? It really is not going to change the course of the world.

I have issues with people being rude on a forum. Now what?

I really do often think that people who may otherwise seem lovely in person & in their everyday life use the internet to allow themselves free reign to be unabashedly rude & unkind (and often for no apparent reason) to others. I appreciate your sharing your perspective... thankyou...

Old 09-11-2007, 01:56 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,178,969 times
My goodness! Everyone is entitled to their opinion but everyone should also be given basic courtesy. Just because you are online and unseen does not mean that you can vent and forget that on the other end is a person with feelings.
That said, I do agree with HeleenieWeenie that many people has horrible grammar, spelling and anything else that has to do with language. Have you noticed that most colleges are requiring that students take between 2 and 6 basic english and writing course? When I went to college, many moons ago, we only needed 2. It was assumed that you knew the basics. Now days, you have to prove you can read, write and spell. We are very dependent upon spell check which does not fix all problems. I have worked as a substitute , elementary and middle school, and am amazed at some of the creative spelling and grammar that is acceptable.
And let's not talk about handwriting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education