Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is education important for teachers
All teachers including homeschooling parents should be educated. 65 79.27%
School teachers should be educated but parents don't need an education to teach 8 9.76%
Education is overrated. Neither teachers or parents need one to teach 9 10.98%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 12:20 PM

1,122 posts, read 2,315,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
I also don't notice anyone here grousing about private schools (many of whom are either self-regulating or unaccredited altogether). I think this qualifies as another straw man, even if it isn't nearly as cute and cuddly as the one with the vaccuum.

Ok, WHO is this strawman, what the heck is he doing with the vaccum, and who taught him?

Ivory, you can send your publically educated, unable to think on his own, mindless little straw man to the doors of all the homeschoolers to try and suck them out with your vaccum but our children have been taught not to answer the door to strangers, even if they are dressed up in some cute costume meant to appeal to them.

Good luck finding us home anyway.

Last edited by flik_becky; 07-20-2009 at 01:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Given that, for better or for worse, these children will be released on society, society should have a say in how they are educated. Society has the most to lose in not controlling education. It is to our benefit to have an educated society and that means making sure individuals are, properly, educated.

Parents do not own their children. They OWE society because they had children that society will have to accept. We owe it to society to make sure our children are contributing members of society when they are adults for all of their lives. And yes, that means obeying society's rules along the way. We work together in society for the betterment of society. At least we should. Unfortunately, too many only want to take care of themselves and get what they can get from society.
Trust me hunny, society isn't turning a blind eye on poor education. It's about the number one thing anyone will say when anyone starts talking about a part of our society needing reform. When all the attempts have failed, those who are not governement school cult followers make their own wise decision....2 million and growing homeschoolers can't be wrong. The governement is wise to sit up and listen. The movement is not just a trend. It's a reaction.

Last edited by flik_becky; 07-20-2009 at 01:07 PM..

Old 07-20-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
That's a good point. I'm waiting with bated breath for his take on all this.

Just for kicks, I'll add this personal development to the conversation:

My spouse and I have been mulling over taking the kids on the road for a year in an RV in 2011. Although we have yet to work out the details, it seems entirely doable. Life has been very good to us. We recently paid off our house, which we'll rent out while we're away, and my husband can take a sabbatical or consult from the road, so why not? We are fully capable of homeschooling the kids through fourth-grade and seventh-grade, and we'll re-enroll them in public school at the end of our adventure. It's a big, beautiful world that we only go around once, and we'd love to discover it together. Anyone else ever thought of doing this?
We've thought about doing this also. We have the means too and we'd probably rent or sell our house. In the meantime, we could save our money and buy a house and land flat out in a few years with that gothic garden in front that I want and then travel the rest of the world with a home base. Our goal is to hit all 50 states. We have friends in just about all of them. So far we are doing a lame job of it but after next weekend we'll have been to three other states. Finally the little one will chill for the long drives. YEAH! DH has sunshine in winter on his brain already.

Last edited by flik_becky; 07-20-2009 at 01:13 PM..

Old 07-20-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
When the opportunity exists for wrong doing, it generally happens.
WOW this is bold. I can not believe you set yourself up for this. SO let me guess, it takes two parents to bathe one of your children cause if only one was left to do it....something could happen. Or do you higher a bathing expert to do it?

Old 07-20-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
It takes a great deal of dedication and self sacrifice and the loss of much of one's own life to do properly.
How can you say that having a love for learning is a loss of life? It is an enrichment.

Quote:
it takes a lot to be a good home-schooler and I really doubt if many are that good at it.
Yet the statistics shock the world everytime they prove this wrong. I'd sit up an listen if there were studies to prove otherwise...but there are not and no one here has been able to produce any. *yawn* Keep on talking. In the meantime, I think I'll take a nap...or take the kids swimming.

Last edited by flik_becky; 07-20-2009 at 01:13 PM..

Old 07-20-2009, 03:36 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,192,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
The point is, without regular reporting or followups of some sort, they can easily exist in a vacuum in many states.

And teachers can-- as evidenced by news reports-- screw their students. Do most? No. Because-- as most people can understand-- "can" and "do" are completely different concepts.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:

I have heard no one say that ALL home schooling is a bad thing, yet that is the straw dog that some here put up to knock down.
You just haven't been reading the right posts or the right threads, then. As with any forum, there is thread bleedover, and that statement has indeed been made.

Further, no matter the reasoning for them, draconian measures invariably cause problems of their own.

Quote:
I've heard nobody accuse you, unless you choose to take that guilt upon yourself.
Read some other threads, m'dear.

Quote:
I like to know my kid is healthy. Parents are not exactly without bias when it comes to their own kids. Conformation should be appreciated.
I prefer to get "conformation" from people who are qualified to ascertain whether or not my child is healthy, personally. A teacher is not so qualified.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
LOL, Ivory. I think she was pointing out that you are saying homeschoolers are always at home, by themselves, with no outside interaction. Even though it has been explained ad nauseum that homeschooling does not work this way, the anti-educational-choice people keep insisting that homeschoolers exist in a vacuum.
That is precisely what I was saying. The use of irony as a literary device is apparently not taught in "teacher school".

Old 07-20-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
Right. She was "accusing" you of not being well-rounded, and you responded negatively. The irony is that you accuse homeschoolers of being cooped up at home, which is an absurd and insulting (not to mention ignorant) mistruth. It's easily provable that they're not, because most homeschoolers take photos of their various field trips, field days, park days, beach days, science fairs, Civil War reenactments, etc.

::brandishes 08-09 portfolio::

Old 07-20-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:

To daily take a child to be with a group of friends of mixed cultures and religions so they can discuss things and listen to music and just be kids together - to organize perhaps debates and plays and presentations and song groups and group trips - requires lots and lots of coordination by parents as well as kids.
Thank you for noticing! Yes, it does. Though honestly, our area is extremely homeschool friendly and most facilities (like the zoo, the Aquarium, the historical society) welcome homeschoolers and actively court them with homeschool-specific programs. So it takes far less than one might expect.

Quote:
To arrange for community facilities(police) to give lectures on drugs

Are you talking about DARE? You know that's not an effective program and a complete waste of money, right?

Quote:
and how to report crimes and prevent invasion of one's personal space
The parents I know teach their children this long before school age.

Quote:
- to allow your kid to express ideas that you might not like but that are valid to many in the general world - it takes a lot to be a good home-schooler and I really doubt if many are that good at it.
Doubt what you like.
I don't find schools to be particularly welcoming of "out of the box" methods and thinking, either, fwiw. Try doing subtraction "the wrong way" in a second grade classroom or filling out a reading log in a more logical fashion than how it was dictated, sometime. In fact, someone recently commented that they valued public school precisely because it taught conformity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education