Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2009, 07:54 PM

60 posts, read 133,273 times

Advertisements

Looking for advice, insight, from teachers or homeschoolers on math curricula:

Singapore

Life of Fred

Math-U-See

RightStart

for a high energy but mathematically talented kid. So far, all our kids have used Singapore supplemented with Miquon and we loved it, but my six year old is already showing signs of boredom with math--looking for something exciting, but challenging. Like non traditional approaches but NOT Everyday Math (horror stories). Any input is appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 05:11 AM

759 posts, read 3,144,613 times
There is a great website called homeschoolreviews.com, which will give you reviews by real people.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:43 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Try the website of the group Mathematically Correct. They have a page that compares several programs. Singapore is the only one I recognize from your list and it's highly rated. My children's school uses it and I like it.

2 plus 2: The Home of Mathematically Correct

Old 07-22-2009, 07:00 AM

60 posts, read 133,273 times
Using both websites, thanks a bunch of the help. Ivory: very intersesting stuff! Spooky!

Old 07-22-2009, 10:26 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,797,076 times
You know, I never thought I'd ever say this but maybe you could try elements of Everyday math with him. It may be that he's the kind of kid who will fly with that program, but I'd supplement w/ one that does drill too. It's worth a try if he's gettin bored. Anyway, I think that Everyday Math could be a fine program with certain kids--I just don't agree with it as a classroom curriculum.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:06 AM

196 posts, read 574,382 times
We use Singapore Math and the Challenging Word Problems. I have found nothing that is better than Singapore Challenging Word Problems (My daughter who entered public school in 5th grade has no problem with word problems after doing Singapore Challenging Work Problems. She even figured out a word problem on a test that her teacher couldn't...)

We do Life of Fred in the summer. So for instance after Singapore 4 (where there is fraction work), we do Life of Fred Fractions in the summer. It seems to really cement the concepts. I think that the story of "Fred" is funny, but it doesn't really appeal to my kids, so they just roll their eyes at me. I do think it adds to understanding why we do things. For example, when learning to divide fractions, after being taught to invert and multiply, Life Of Fred teaches why that works. So if your child really likes that understanding, it may be a good curriculum, but probably a bit much for a young child - even if gifted in math.

Have you also investigated logic curriculum? My younger one who is very quick with math loves these. Look at Mind Benders and Red Herrings. My kids love to solve them and it really ties into the math because you must think step-by-step to figure out the answer.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education