U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 05:26 PM

14,874 posts, read 36,242,086 times

Advertisements

I can not believe what I spent yesterday on school supplies for ONE KID! I added it up after both stops and I still didn't get everything on the list. I have yet to buy: 2 rolls of paper towels, 6 boxes of tissue (I have a huge stash at home to pull from for that), construction paper (they were out at the store), 6 of the 12 packages of note cards. Without those items the grand total was right at $120 I mean, seriously????? When I saw the list I didn't think it was going to be THAT much. All I thought when I saw some things like the 6 boxes of tissue and 2 rolls of paper towels per student was that the teachers better have a TON of storage for all of that. The kids are going to need dollies to bring their school supplies in the first day as there is NO WAY that stuff is going to fit into a backpack. Poor kids that have to ride the bus alone the first day.

I mean, I'm the parent that many times thru the year asks the teachers if they need anything before I go and buy bulk items like at Sam's. I'm always getting them extra glue sticks and other items that they run out of throughout the year and such. I don't mind that at all but it is spread out thru the year and not all at one time. I also usually pre-order thru the school but for some reason that didn't happen this year at her school. URGH!!!

So, what do YOU spend on school supplies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 06:50 PM

3,084 posts, read 6,464,939 times
I spent less than $20 on my first grader's list, while the prepackaged deal is selling for over $50.

I buy things on clearance throughout the year and almost always have on hand all the basics at a very low cost. For instance...notebook paper for .25, spirals for .05, folders for .01. I rarely pay more than $1 for any given supply for the elementary grades, with the exception of specialty items such as the story tablet needed for this year. That cost me $2.44 at Walmart.

Some parents I know spent close to $80 on the same list of supplies. To me that's just crazy! All it takes is a little planning and some thought to look for deals.

For my 6th grader, I did spend a bit more-just under $30, however I know it's still well below the packaged deal and what most parents spend. For example, zippered pencil bag for the binder - $1 from Target's dollar bins, where most others were at the very least $2, usually over $3.

Soon, I'll be looking at this years list for 2nd and 7th graders and getting an idea of what they might need next year and be on the lookout for clearance on the more basic items.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:00 PM

25,393 posts, read 29,702,140 times
Probably $100/child plus another $100 for things I'll pick up for my class. Unfortunately, at the high school level, parents don't contribute things like paper towels, hand sanitizer, Kleenex or hand soap. Many of my kids show up to class without paper and pencils as well.

I hit all the good sales and just stock up. It will get used.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:06 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,502,858 times
About $100 per kid.

One of the most frustrating things for me is that at the end of school last year my last project as a volunteer was to pack up donations for a struggling inner city school that our elementary supports, which included about 100 boxes of tissues and 25 canisters of Clorox wipes. Of course, this summer the school supply list arrived via mail, and what do I see at the very top? A request for Tissues and as many Clorox wipes as we're willing to send in. Arggggh!

Last edited by formercalifornian; 08-11-2009 at 09:33 PM..

Old 08-11-2009, 09:40 PM

484 posts, read 1,365,209 times
On supplies alone, I spent about $250 per child this year (I have two in elementary school, the rest are younger). But, I bought a lot of "designer" school supplies for them.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:50 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,502,858 times
We picked up most of our stuff at Target, which has a fairly nice selection of basic supplies. For personalization, the kids use stickers and scrapbook paper to make their stuff unique.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:20 AM

12,454 posts, read 27,069,551 times
Maybe $100 max. I've got one HS boy left. I'll go to Costco in the next couple of weeks and pick up some three ring binders and get the notebook paper at Staples when it goes on sale. Glad I got the graphing calculator a couple of years ago - that was not cheap. Shopping for HS kids is a cinch.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:33 AM

830 posts, read 2,283,915 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, at the high school level, parents don't contribute things like paper towels, hand sanitizer, Kleenex or hand soap. Many of my kids show up to class without paper and pencils as well.
This goes for the elementary schools I've worked at too.

As I said in another thread on this subject, this idea of parents buying school supplies to send to school is really weird to me. It never would have occurred to me that this was such a phenomenon.

I consider myself lucky if the kid brings a backpack. My school provides paper, pencils, crayons, paint, paper towels, soap, etc. I buy "special stuff" (paper plates, stickers, hand sanitizer, etc) from the Dollar Store every few weeks. I collect my grocery bags for the backpack-free kids to tote home their stuff in. Probably averages out to be $15 a month?

Old 08-12-2009, 10:37 AM

Oh, I forgot a lap top for dd#1 this year. Make that $1000 not $100 for her. Man I'm going to miss the school supplied lap tops. And they're both going into braces in two weeks...

Old 08-12-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcats View Post
This goes for the elementary schools I've worked at too.

As I said in another thread on this subject, this idea of parents buying school supplies to send to school is really weird to me. It never would have occurred to me that this was such a phenomenon.

I consider myself lucky if the kid brings a backpack. My school provides paper, pencils, crayons, paint, paper towels, soap, etc. I buy "special stuff" (paper plates, stickers, hand sanitizer, etc) from the Dollar Store every few weeks. I collect my grocery bags for the backpack-free kids to tote home their stuff in. Probably averages out to be $15 a month?
In our elementary school these items are on the supply list.

I spend a little more but I have 150 students and they all use the hand sanitizer and the Kleenex. I think they use them just because I have them . Pencils are a big one in my classes too. I can count on half a dozen kids an hour without one. Okay, first hour I can get because it's the start of the day but how can you get to my class 7th hour and have no pencil? What have you been using all day?

You know, I never thought to look for hand sanitizer at the dollar store. I usually get the big bottle at Meijer for about $6 and it lasts a little more than a month. I have considered finding a friend with a Costco or Biglots membership to go get the huge bottles one of my coworkers used to bring in for the lab I worked in. That would last me 6 months.

Nice use for grocery bags. I can't believe how many I collect to take in for recycing. Do I really buy that much stuff???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or