Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2009, 01:37 PM

10,832 posts, read 14,927,894 times

Advertisements

Sorry, this was not spam but someone that it was.

Last edited by nicet4; 08-30-2009 at 02:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 06:10 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Vo-Tech?

Old 08-31-2009, 02:07 PM

605 posts, read 2,159,890 times
I think very few people know what to do in high school. In fact, I don't understand why we require 17 and 18 yr. olds to choose majors and colleges with the expectation that they will be able to find something they like and stick to it. High school doesn't resemble "real life" in terms of the way social interaction works or the type of work that the students do. I think a lot of really smart kids aren't stimulated by school curricula and end up feeling like further education will surely be just as boring and irrelevant.

I think career exploration is key for young adults. Summer jobs, internships, and volunteer positions can help folks to find their interests. Also, it's never too early to start setting up informational interviews with professionals in your area -- could be a ride-along with a sales rep, lunch with a physical therapist, etc.

Lastly, career counseling can be great. Sure, many life coaches and counselors are just scam artists. However, there are some trained psychologists who use proven assesment tests as well as their own wisdom to helpfully guide people of all ages into career paths they can become passionate about. I used one such person last year, and the experience life changing.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:38 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
I was just looking at our school calendar today and saw that my son will be taking the ASVAB test this year as Junior in HS. This test is supposed to help kids discover some career possibilities. ASVAB Career Exploration Program :: I'm not sure about how good it is, but may be a starting point. Looks like they have an on-line version. I read an interesting book about how there is a real lack of people entering the trades, like plumbing, electrical work, carpentry, etc., these days because they are not seen as being good enough. Not true!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:57 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I was just looking at our school calendar today and saw that my son will be taking the ASVAB test this year as Junior in HS. This test is supposed to help kids discover some career possibilities. ASVAB Career Exploration Program :: I'm not sure about how good it is, but may be a starting point. Looks like they have an on-line version. I read an interesting book about how there is a real lack of people entering the trades, like plumbing, electrical work, carpentry, etc., these days because they are not seen as being good enough. Not true!
There's good money to be made in those trades, and it's a good career choice for someone who wants to be in business for themselves and is willing to put in the work to build a business.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:19 PM

10,832 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. 14th & You View Post
I think very few people know what to do in high school. In fact, I don't understand why we require 17 and 18 yr. olds to choose majors and colleges with the expectation that they will be able to find something they like and stick to it. High school doesn't resemble "real life" in terms of the way social interaction works or the type of work that the students do. I think a lot of really smart kids aren't stimulated by school curricula and end up feeling like further education will surely be just as boring and irrelevant.

I think career exploration is key for young adults. Summer jobs, internships, and volunteer positions can help folks to find their interests. Also, it's never too early to start setting up informational interviews with professionals in your area -- could be a ride-along with a sales rep, lunch with a physical therapist, etc.

Lastly, career counseling can be great. Sure, many life coaches and counselors are just scam artists. However, there are some trained psychologists who use proven assesment tests as well as their own wisdom to helpfully guide people of all ages into career paths they can become passionate about. I used one such person last year, and the experience life changing.
Passion is not something you are born with, it's acquired.

I am going to post a website and it isn't spam. It upet me the other day when someone called it spam but you tell me. Believe me, I hate spam more than anyone. There's no ads, no garbage and as far as money making spam I donate all my time and even though it says free I upgraded (paid my money) to get rid of banners.

To explain what the trade was not the original intent. I belong to several engineering sites and a number of people, a few of them registered professional engineers but not involved in my field, have asked about hydraulic calculations. I've been threatening to "put up a website" on the subject for the past year.

How's this for a job?

Must have perseverance. This is the single most important quality and if you lack don't bother.

Must be high school graduate. Two years of tech school would help out getting in the door but it is not required.

The job is 90% office environment.

National average starting pay is over $30,000 fresh out of tech school, $60,000 three to four years out of tech school and $75,000 eight to ten years out of high school.

We are at 100% employment right now and companies all over the country are looking for qualified people. In some areas of the country (Texas, Florida and Georgia) employers are not just looking they are desperate.

How about a job where by law you are first hired and last fired? (In this day and age this is nice).

Actually you can call it a specific career website heavily into details on what it is, what is required and exactly how to get there. It isn't completed but it should give someone a good idea.

But I don't think it's spam.

I am wondering if high school councilors ever heard of such a thing?

Okay, guidance councilors, another area hurting for people big, big time. You ever driving down a highway and a guy is sitting at a desk with a laptop on the highway with wires running from test sensors to his laptop? Certified soil testers. Good money, satisfying work. Any job is a good job where at the end of the day you can sit back and say "I did something good today".

Old 09-11-2009, 10:50 AM

1,340 posts, read 2,803,309 times
The biggest fraud perpuated on the american public is the value of a college degree using historical data that includes the data for the decades after WWII when the rest of the industrial world was still recovering from same.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:01 PM

742 posts, read 1,227,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Sorry, this was not spam but someone that it was.
get into engineering, always jobs available

Old 09-12-2009, 12:24 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,803,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinsov View Post
get into engineering, always jobs available

Till they "cutback" your butt in your 50's that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education