Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 01:25 PM

34 posts, read 109,284 times

Advertisements

Here is a list of legalities I found on a christian website.
  • DISCRIMINATION—School authorities may not discriminate against
  • religious activity or speech.
  • BIBLE READING AND PRAYER—Students may read their Bibles or other scriptures, say a prayer before meals, and pray before tests.
  • DISCUSSIONS—Students may attempt to persuade their peers concerning religious topics, just as they may political topics. Harassment, however, (which is not defined) is not permissible.
  • SCHOOL WORK—Students may use religious themes in their homework, artwork, or other assignments, and such work should be judged (graded) by ordinary academic standards.
  • LITERATURE—Students have the right to distribute religious literature (tracts, etc.) to their schoolmates on the same terms as they are permitted to distribute other literature.
  • RELIGIOUS OBJECTIONS—Students may be excused from lessons that are objectionable on religious or other conscientious grounds.
  • CLOTHING—Students may wear clothing depicting religious themes, and these messages may not be singled out for suppression. They are subject to the same rules as apply to comparable messages.
  • CHRISTIAN GROUPS—Students religious groups at public secondary schools have the same right of access to school facilities as is enjoyed by other comparable student groups.
  • STUDENT MEETINGS—Student meetings may include a prayer service, Bible reading, or other worship exercise.
  • ACCESS—Students may use the public address system, the school newspaper, and the school bulletin board to announce their meetings, on the same terms as other student groups. (This only applies to schools receiving federal funds.)
  • GRADUATION PRAYER—School officials may not mandate or organize prayer at graduation ceremonies, nor organize baccalaureate services.
  • TEACHING—Schools may teach about religion, including the Bible or other scripture, the history of religion, the Bible-as-literature, and the role of religion in the United States and other countries. Schools are to be neutral with respect to religion. However, they may play an active role with respect to teaching civic values and virtue, and the moral code that holds us together as a community. Schools may not allow religious instruction by outsiders on school premises during the school day. However, school officials may dismiss students to off-premises religious instruction.
  • SCHOOL OFFICIALS—School officials, as representatives of the state, may not solicit or encourage religious activity, nor participate in such activity with the students.
Hello, do these legalities relating to religion in public education apply to colleges too or just the primary and secondary schools? If they do not,then what legalities apply to colleges.I looked all over the internet and could not find the answer.Also, I am sorry if my question offends anyone.Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 01:29 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,716,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasexplorer View Post
Hello, do these legalities relating to religion in public education apply to colleges too or just the primary and secondary schools? If they do not,then what legalities apply to colleges.I looked all over the internet and could not find the answer.Also, I am sorry if my question offends anyone.Thank you.
I don't know for certain in terms of actual legal codes, but it seems like it would apply to college. At the public college where I went all that seemed to apply. There were several religious student organizations, people handing out pamplets or having events, etc.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:40 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,993,497 times
I don't know the actual laws but that seems to match up with public universities. You pick your own clothes, you choose whether or not to go to class, you can avoid religious/mythology/philosophy courses as long as that isn't in the realm of your major...might have to take philosophy or psychology as a general core class. There's always someone hanging outside of the liberal arts building passing out flyers for this or that.

Are you about to head to college or something?

Old 09-09-2009, 02:25 PM

439 posts, read 1,221,678 times
It's a little more complicated at the college level; the school is not "responsible" for students in college like they are in K-12 school where students HAVE to be here, there, and wherever at certain times. State colleges do receive public funds and so they're kind of bound to state rules about religion. I think the same basic rules apply - you are supposed to avoid indoctrination and giving students no choice but to participate in a religious activity, or punishing them in some way for not doing so. Many school campuses are open to the public so leafleting etc. is not prohibited.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:14 PM

I am in college

Old 09-09-2009, 06:24 PM

1,428 posts, read 3,161,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasexplorer View Post
Here is a list of legalities I found on a christian website.
  • DISCRIMINATION—School authorities may not discriminate against
  • religious activity or speech.
  • BIBLE READING AND PRAYER—Students may read their Bibles or other scriptures, say a prayer before meals, and pray before tests.
  • DISCUSSIONS—Students may attempt to persuade their peers concerning religious topics, just as they may political topics. Harassment, however, (which is not defined) is not permissible.
  • SCHOOL WORK—Students may use religious themes in their homework, artwork, or other assignments, and such work should be judged (graded) by ordinary academic standards.
  • LITERATURE—Students have the right to distribute religious literature (tracts, etc.) to their schoolmates on the same terms as they are permitted to distribute other literature.
  • RELIGIOUS OBJECTIONS—Students may be excused from lessons that are objectionable on religious or other conscientious grounds.
  • CLOTHING—Students may wear clothing depicting religious themes, and these messages may not be singled out for suppression. They are subject to the same rules as apply to comparable messages.
  • CHRISTIAN GROUPS—Students religious groups at public secondary schools have the same right of access to school facilities as is enjoyed by other comparable student groups.
  • STUDENT MEETINGS—Student meetings may include a prayer service, Bible reading, or other worship exercise.
  • ACCESS—Students may use the public address system, the school newspaper, and the school bulletin board to announce their meetings, on the same terms as other student groups. (This only applies to schools receiving federal funds.)
  • GRADUATION PRAYER—School officials may not mandate or organize prayer at graduation ceremonies, nor organize baccalaureate services.
  • TEACHING—Schools may teach about religion, including the Bible or other scripture, the history of religion, the Bible-as-literature, and the role of religion in the United States and other countries. Schools are to be neutral with respect to religion. However, they may play an active role with respect to teaching civic values and virtue, and the moral code that holds us together as a community. Schools may not allow religious instruction by outsiders on school premises during the school day. However, school officials may dismiss students to off-premises religious instruction.
  • SCHOOL OFFICIALS—School officials, as representatives of the state, may not solicit or encourage religious activity, nor participate in such activity with the students.
I am not a lawyer, but I would think that in a college, the rules would be even more generous because with few exceptions, most college students are either legal adults or nearly so.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:08 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Are you planning something? If so, you should run it by people on here first. Individual intrepretation of rules can sometimes be wrong.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:58 PM

439 posts, read 1,221,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Are you planning something? If so, you should run it by people on here first. Individual intrepretation of rules can sometimes be wrong.
No guarantee though that people here won't encourage you to do something ridiculous

Old 09-10-2009, 02:13 PM

no plans

Old 09-10-2009, 03:01 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
Oh, c'mon--do it, ESPECIALLY if it's ridiculous...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education