U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-12-2009, 09:04 AM

194 posts, read 660,207 times
Default At Home Professions reviews?

I'm looking into taking medical transcriptionist course with them and was wondering if anyone here has done it before. I looked them up online and most people say they are great but some state they provide bad training. If you have experience with them, please tell me if it's bad or good. Were you able to find a job after the training?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 06:23 PM

7 posts, read 18,102 times
I haven't taken their course, but I own a medical transcription company and have been a working MT for 11 years. One of their graduates does work as an independent contractor for my company and she's fantastic! In fact, I decided to give her a shot part-time while she was still taking the course since she's a friend of one of my best MTs. No regrets at all.

However, I will say that she came into this field with years of previous secretarial experience and excellent grammar/punctuation and typing skills. The MT course won't teach that, but the profession depends on those skills as well as the medical terminology.

The only caveat is that many practices are switching over to electronic medical record systems that are now automating many of the things we would normally type, so the amount of work out there for small companies like mine seems to be disappearing. We are also competing with companies who have base offices in the USA, but outsource the actual transcription to medical students in India who work for wages so low that we can't possibly compete price-wise.

The course may be a good one (and they have an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau), but I'm not sure I could recommend going into this field. It seems we are going the way of the dinosaur.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:41 PM

1 posts, read 6,937 times
I just went to one of their seminars last night near Austin, TX and I am seriously considering moving forward with the training. I've just read some people's responses on the company, the job market for this industry, and the overall take in this field, however, many of the feedback and comments are dated 2-3 years ago. Here is it August 2010 and I was wandering what it the latest information you can give me now in this field. Is it still a worth wile career to consider full time? Thanks in advance for your response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education