Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 01:50 PM

548 posts, read 2,640,172 times

Advertisements

I keep going back and forth on Waldorf for my kids. I love some aspects of it (the back to nature part, taking things a bit slower, not watching tv, which we don't anyway, etc) but the Anthroposophy gets in my way....

HOw does it all play out?? Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2007, 06:12 AM

133 posts, read 627,707 times
I honestly think it depend on the shool. I always thought the Waldorf concept was great. My bro nd SIL sent their kids to one...they were all very happy. But, then moved and had to put them in public school. Turns out the kids were WAY behind in math! And these are really smart kids. Maybe they would have eventually caught up as possibly the curriculum was not teaching the same things at the same time. I am not sure. I guess you have to look at where they will end up down the line with the curriculum. Oh, and the public school teachers quickly caught them up with some after school help. So, all turned out well in the end. I think it was a great experience for them....you just have to decide what you want their education/teachers to focus on. Do a lot of research!

Old 05-04-2007, 09:58 AM

What grade did they transfer to public school? I've heard that, b/c of the different timing of Waldorf subjects, the kids can have trouble going to public before 5th grade, but after that, they would actually be ahead. I don't know if that's really true though! Were you SIL's kids between K-5 or were they older?

My son is in a Waldorf preschool and I LOVE it. My older kids are in public elementary, and I am just not 100% sure what to do so I've done nothing to change it...(I remember the lyrics of a song "if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" and that's about where I am right now!)

Old 05-04-2007, 04:51 PM

800 posts, read 4,285,993 times
My friend's child goes to one and I think she's incredibly well-adjusted. She was smart to begin with, but she is amazing...She knows how to think and analyze, even at a young age! It blows me away! I believe she's in 2nd grade.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:57 PM

646 posts, read 1,783,719 times
I went to a Waldorf school (overseas) and it has its pros and cons. I think they do help you think creatively and not just study for the test, but there are also some things that are lacking.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:40 PM

Would you mind letting me know what is lacking in your opinion? I would appreciate it, so I can make a more informed decision!!
Thanks!

Old 05-14-2007, 03:53 PM

646 posts, read 1,783,719 times
I'm sure this may be different from one country to another, but the lack of textbooks is in my opinion a detriment. Not having textbooks does teach you to take good notes and give you good writing skills, but some of that formal learning is missing. That can make the transition to college a bit more difficult, even though I found that my high school prepared me adequately to do well in college.
There isn't a lot of testing going on either, but that may also be different in the US. It took some time for the curriculum to match the regular school so you wouldn't be at a disadvantage when applying for college.
I have to think some more what I felt was lacking, but feel free to PM me or post any other questions here.

Old 10-29-2016, 07:58 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,802,611 times
Bumping up and old thread instead of starting a new one. I noticed that for many of the US Waldorf Schools, tuitions seem to be generally lower (though still not cheap) than other private independent schools in the same locality. The exception being the Manhattan NYC location. Could anyone advise if there is a catch? I did tours of Hawthorne Valley and Green Meadow and could not find anything wrong except maybe in athletics.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:19 PM

31 posts, read 57,062 times
OP: Where are you located? Are you looking at an independent Waldorf school or a public charter school?

Our family had many of the same questions and I did a ton of research. I would be happy to help out in any way I can.

Old 11-03-2016, 10:16 PM

11,535 posts, read 12,558,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Bumping up and old thread instead of starting a new one. I noticed that for many of the US Waldorf Schools, tuitions seem to be generally lower (though still not cheap) than other private independent schools in the same locality. The exception being the Manhattan NYC location. Could anyone advise if there is a catch? I did tours of Hawthorne Valley and Green Meadow and could not find anything wrong except maybe in athletics.
The one in Garden City is not cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education