Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 04:29 PM

997 posts, read 928,996 times

Advertisements

Having an IEP is not the same as being in a special ed. class. What is wrong with having an IEP?

People have sounded in about different school districts and cultures and disabilities. Every situation is unique.

Why the heck didn't she go to school at all? Who's fault was that?

Nobody cared?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 06:18 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,773,830 times
Was she being homeschooled?

Old 09-15-2016, 08:33 PM

122 posts, read 151,788 times
I finally got through the thread, I would love to know if there are any updates on the OP and some of the other parents that commented. Hope all turned out well for the students.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanandme View Post
My god I've had such a hard time with the same issue. What do I do?

We want our daughter to be in a regular classroom with an assistant and they insist on sending her to a severely cognitive delayed classroom.

My child cries and emotionally it's hurting her but what do I do? They will not listen to me and if I insist they ignore me.

The only delay my daughter has is that she has been out of school for seven years without no one caring.

Last year I spent the whole year begging them to get her in and they told me that they had way too many other children to worry about. I registered her and they told me that they would just refund my money.

This year they placed her in special ed. She is so miserable. What do I do? Do I just ignore her emotions?

She is bright she is ten years old, she knows multiplication, fractions, divisions, reads, writes. She writes very beautiful her handwriting is so perfect and she feels proud of it.

She is however, very hurt to be in special ed. Every one I talk to turns their face the other way. What has become of this country and the educational system.

Can someone help me please? Thank you so much.

It doesn't sound like the same situation as the OP.

If your daughter is 10 yo and she has been out of school for 7 years, but went to school last year (as a 9 year old) does that mean last year was the first time she went to school, as a 9 year old?

Does she go to private school?

What state are you in?

Old 09-15-2016, 08:59 PM

7,372 posts, read 15,945,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Did you not read this statement from your own link:

Local school district, not state. The last figures available for who pays for the cost above the average pupil expenditure for special education breaks down to local - 46%, state - 45%, and federal - 9%. The last average I could find on above cost expenditure per special ed student was 2.08. So if it cost $10,000 to educate any child it would cost $20,800 on average to educate a special ed student. The the combination of state and local would pay the first $10,000 as they would for any child. The breakdown of the extra $10,800 would be as follows: local - $4,968, state - $4,860, and federal - $972. It cost local districts more than any other entity to educate a special ed child. It is not in their financial interest to have kids labeled special ed.
Just happened across this thread again.
It ain't that simple.

For any individual student with an educational diagnosis, the benefit/loss ratio is a complicated one. The run-of-the-mill SLD student may cause the district to be "operating at a loss", so to speak, while the autistic student may be bringing money in. Teachers have quotas on numbers and once a district is fully staffed, the added student does not add extra cost to the district.

Tell you what, tell me your background in education, and I'll go further.

Then let's talk about kids who aren't properly placed with IEP's and the legal cost to districts.

Old 09-25-2016, 02:52 PM

772 posts, read 1,053,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanandme View Post
My god I've had such a hard time with the same issue. What do I do? We want our daughter to be in a regular classroom with an assistant and they insist on sending her to a severely cognitive delayed classroom. My child cries and emotionally it's hurting her but what do I do? They will not listen to me and if I insist they ignore me. The only delay my daughter has is that she has been out of school for seven years without no one caring. Last year I spent the whole year begging them to get her in and they told me that they had way too many other children to worry about. I registered her and they told me that they would just refund my money. This year they placed her in special ed. She is so miserable. What do I do? Do I just ignore her emotions? She is bright she is ten years old, she knows multiplication, fractions, divisions, reads, writes. She writes very beautiful her handwriting is so perfect and she feels proud of it. She is however, very hurt to be in special ed. Every one I talk to turns their face the other way. What has become of this country and the educational system. Can someone help me please? Thank you so much.

There's so much I don't understand here. The daughter is only 10 and yet she's has been out of school for 7 years? That makes no sense. At most, she should be in 4th or 5th grade. Why hasn't she been in school. Were you homeschooling? Why would you keep your child away from being educated for that long? And if homeschooling, then she hasn't been away from school.

You said she's has no delay except being away from school for 7 years. How did she get into special education? She would need to be evaluated for that to happen, where were you when that happened? And if that's the case, they she clearly has since sort of delay.

And then you say, the school turned you aware and wanted to return your money. What money? As far as I'm aware, you don't pay anything to register your child in public school. If this is private, how does special education work there?

Sorry. Please give more information because your post makes no sense at all.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:11 PM

948 posts, read 911,215 times
Wow, Cocue is right. That doesn't make sense. A ten year old that has been out of school for 7 years?

Old 12-29-2016, 10:33 PM

5 posts, read 4,704 times
Yes the schools do receive extra funding for resource classes, Resource teachers, and IEP students. The pull out programs are a horrible disrespect to children. They are taken away as though they do not deserve to be with the regular mainstream class.
For years people have fought in courts to keep children in the least restrictive environment, yet the schools, teachers, and resource teachers have found ways to continue to pull kids out. Regular ed teachers begin to expect this and use it as a crutch to eliminate having to slow down or accommodate a student with a disability, even a mild one. They should be paid the extra money given to Special Ed. to accommodate and expand thier teaching style to reach every student in the class, or have an aid that can assist.
In a pull out, they don't always follow the class curriculum, even though they pretend that they do, they are not monitored.
The help should come to the regular ed teacher in the form of inclusion, to provide extra help within the classroom while blending in the assistance they are giving to the child with a disability. They can help the reg. ed. teacher follow accommodation, like cutting assignment in half without making a big deal in front of all the students so the child does not get embarrassed.
No matter how they try to candy coat it, pulling a child out of class is the worse thing possible, and regardless of what they try to say, the child misses out of a regular education like their peers are receiving during that time. Sometimes they miss an engaging group participation.
Demand a withdrawal from the pull out resource, or sign withdrawal from IEP. Put it in writing. Switch to 504 with Regular Classroom/ Homework accommodations the regular ed teacher must follow.
There is sometimes a hidden resentment towards the child, when all the teachers get together and talk in the break-room. When a child leaves resource class or an IEP, they sometimes try to fail the child, look for everything that is incomplete or wrong instead of what the child is learning. This is to retaliate and prove a point to the parent.
Emotional damage to the child usually occurs from the pull out, from being different, from being taken from her peers.
Our education system is reverting backwards, not forwards, when it comes to educating children with disabilities. The most important thing is that a child does not loose the love of education. A child needs to know they are truly cared for by teachers and peers. Compliments...encouragement...teach all children passionately regardless of how they learn. This cost nothing, and can be implemented immediately, if staff members are descent human beings.
Some may want to switch schools or get an attorney!

Last edited by Children must keep the lo; 12-29-2016 at 11:26 PM..

Old 12-29-2016, 10:54 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,773,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Children must keep the lo View Post
Yes the schools do receive extra funding for resource classes, Resource teachers, IEP students.

http://www.understandingspecialeducation.com/special-education-funding.html

No, actually, they don't receive much funding at all.

On average, most states estimate that special education monies from the federal government make up less than 15%. This leaves the local school districts scrambling to fund the remaining costs of mandated special education services.

THe pull out programs are a horrible dis-respect to children taken away as though they do not deserve to be with the regular main stream class.

Not sure where you get this. Some children need a smaller class in order to learn. I like push in better than pull out, but that is because I have a child who can function in the larger classroom. Some children are too distracted and won't learn at all in that. Also, resource teachers and rooms are usually for specific subjects and the child is in a regular classroom for other parts of the day.

For years people have fought for keeping children in the least restrictive environment, And the schools, and resource teachers have found ways to continue to pull kids out. Regular Ed teachers begin to expect this and use it as a crutch to eliminate, slowing down or accommodating a student with a disability, even a mild one.
In a pull out, they don't always follow the class, even though they pretend that they do, they are not watched.

This is a function of a bad school, not a function of resource rooms in general.

The help should come to the regular ed teacher in the form of inclusion, where the extra help can provide extra help within the classroom while blending in the assistance they are giving to the child with a disability. They can help the reg. ed. teacher follow accommodation, like cutting assignment in half without making a big deal in front of all the students so the child does not get embarrassed.

I can agree with the above and good teachers and schools do this

No matter how they try to candy coat it, pulling a child out of class is the worse thing possible, and regardless of what they try to say, the child misses out of a regular education like their peers are receiving during that time. Sometimes a special way of teaching that is very engaging as a group to participate in. Switch to 504 with Regular Classroom/ Homework accommodations the regular ed teacher must follow. Inclusion teacher as a classroom aid if needed.
My comments in blue.

My autistic grandson has not missed out at least in k-4 by have a resource teacher. She actually lives in our neighborhood. He is now in 6th grade and she is tutoring him because we have had problems with the resource teacher in middle school - too much emphasis on testing and not enough individual work to help him learn. This, however, is the fault of the particular school and teacher and not true in all of the schools in our ISD.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:55 PM

1 posts, read 624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post

It has been my experience that the parents that have asked that their child be removed from special ed, or do not want their child to be assessed, are usually in major denial that their child has problems or delays or else they have absolutely no idea the skill levels of a typically developing child and think that their child is progressing well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
This is also what I've seen, unfortunately.
Were either of you privy to any information as to what happened to those students who were removed from special ed??? Really, do you ever doubt whether it is beneficial to constantly be comparing children to one another?

This just seems like an intimidation tactic, since you claim to have special knowledge of what typical student development looks like, you deem anyone who disagrees as being in denial.

I have a Master's in Education from a prestigious school, and let me tell you, the field of education draws some of the most unimaginative and controlling prigs. People that are so in love with being "normal" that they take delight in dolling out mediocrity. Any eccentricity is immediately labeled as a "disorder".

Children really do progress at strikingly different rates. So, standardization, especially at an early age is extremely problematic. Much of this early intervention is bringing about lots of unnecessary IEPs... The push for curricular standardization and the increasing time spent on tests also contributes to this. If a child is not compliant in prepping and focusing on computerized tests, then they are labeled and summarily sorted into the "lower" group.

Has it ever occurred to you that some children may have an unnecessary "learning disability" label due to the soul-sucking expectations perpetuated by public schools today? 1st graders get 15 minutes of recess on average in my state. I am surprised that more children do not rebel against the hyper-focus on language and math...I mean really how boring!!! All the while they are constantly analyzed by the most humorless and bland sentries of normalcy.

I eventually graduated from that Ed. program, only to move on to another Master's because I was so disappointed and disgusted with the general goings on in public education today. I know that teaching is an extremely difficult job. But one of the essential tasks of teachers is to stick up for their students and this is being deeply neglected. Teachers today are complicit in this standardization and dehumanization of our most vulnerable population. To proudly claim that you know that a student has delays, and that the only way that these delays will ever be ameliorated is through some program that labels and isolates, well that is willful arrogance. Many of these special ed programs not only stigmatize, they also teach a "learned-helplessness". Special education today is merely the contemporary form of sorting by social class, but the new hierarchies are divvied up according to who is most compliant in their ability to retain information.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 05-07-2017 at 12:29 AM.. Reason: Fixed formatting

Old 05-06-2017, 09:59 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,290,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtistMetaphysic View Post
Were either of you privy to any information as to what happened to those students who were removed from special ed??? Really, do you ever doubt whether it is beneficial to constantly be comparing children to one another?

This just seems like an intimidation tactic, since you claim to have special knowledge of what typical student development looks like, you deem anyone who disagrees as being in denial.

I have a Master's in Education from a prestigious school, and let me tell you, the field of education draws some of the most unimaginative and controlling prigs. People that are so in love with being "normal" that they take delight in dolling out mediocrity. Any eccentricity is immediately labeled as a "disorder".

Children really do progress at strikingly different rates. So, standardization, especially at an early age is extremely problematic. Much of this early intervention is bringing about lots of unnecessary IEPs... The push for curricular standardization and the increasing time spent on tests also contributes to this. If a child is not compliant in prepping and focusing on computerized tests, then they are labeled and summarily sorted into the "lower" group.

Has it ever occurred to you that some children may have an unnecessary "learning disability" label due to the soul-sucking expectations perpetuated by public schools today? 1st graders get 15 minutes of recess on average in my state. I am surprised that more children do not rebel against the hyper-focus on language and math...I mean really how boring!!! All the while they are constantly analyzed by the most humorless and bland sentries of normalcy.

I eventually graduated from that Ed. program, only to move on to another Master's because I was so disappointed and disgusted with the general goings on in public education today. I know that teaching is an extremely difficult job. But one of the essential tasks of teachers is to stick up for their students and this is being deeply neglected. Teachers today are complicit in this standardization and dehumanization of our most vulnerable population. To proudly claim that you know that a student has delays, and that the only way that these delays will ever be ameliorated is through some program that labels and isolates, well that is willful arrogance. Many of these special ed programs not only stigmatize, they also teach a "learned-helplessness". Special education today is merely the contemporary form of sorting by social class, but the new hierarchies are divvied up according to who is most compliant in their ability to retain information.
Well, it's good that you display absolutely no bias or agenda.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 05-07-2017 at 12:32 AM.. Reason: Fixed formatting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education