U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 07:35 AM

2,880 posts, read 5,077,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I used to teach at a boarding school. Admission to this school was highly selective so it is really not a representative sample. Most of the kids that graduated from that school went to places like MIT, Harvard, Stanford, etc. They would have most likely gone to those schools regardless though.

Now there were a lot of kids there from all over the world. They rarely saw their families and many of them were resentful of that but they did like the school and their classmates.
That is interesting. Were there no parents with a POV that boarding school can represent a rite of passage to a life of independence? I can understand resentment with boarding school used as punishment or babysitting, but I can also imagine how some parent might see boarding school as a transformative experience worthy of their hard-earned $$.

I would appreciate hearing more on this.

S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 08:09 AM
miu

16,476 posts, read 33,452,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeraKera View Post
fare to those in private or public school?
My stepdad is classic WASP, and all the men in his family went to boarding schools. His grandfather roomed with FDR at Groton and later on at Harvard. I don't think that my stepdad enjoyed being away from his family in CA, but at the same time, he did get a higher quality education because of it.

I didn't go to boarding school, but my parents made sure to move to a town that had a great public school system. I went to an Ivy League college as did all of my best friends in high school. I think that important factors for us were having good teachers, a safe school and neighborhood environment, classmates that also wanted to get into the top schools and all of us having parents that wanted us to excel in our academic studies.

Just throwing more more money at the US public school system isn't enough to insure a good education for our young people. The parents and the rest of the community have to get involved also to encourage the students to want to study and go on to college and have a career.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:23 PM

3 posts, read 11,132 times
Default Hope it's as they promised

Hi,
I'm sending my kid to Canada (I live lin Brazil now) for an SL preparatory school and it promised 100% university acceptance in North America. the meals and residence seem not bad. photos here: Mod cut - for review. I really hope it'll be as they've promised.

Any comments from anyone who's sent kids to boarding schools? Hope to hear from them.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-10-2009 at 08:26 PM..

Old 11-09-2009, 10:01 PM

3,764 posts, read 7,206,840 times
Default Bia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Boarding schools are, and have always been, temporary storage for the spawn of the rich.
There is another boarding school faction that has been unmentioned in this thread.... Bureau of Indian Affairs boarding schools to which native American kids are sent. On reservations roads are rough, houses spread out over many square miles, so children are bused to boarding schools for the week.

It's rather a poignant situation to see.

So there you have still another angle to the boarding school story.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:51 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 6,204,415 times
Suspect boarding schools are relics of US of ~50 yrs ago

Much of wealth created in US over past 25 yrs is self-made, often by kids who attended mediocre suburban public HS and then attended some top 5 college like Stanford Engineering or Wharton Finance

Many of kids of today's wealthiest are sent to local private schools in SiliconValley or Manhattan or Dallas or Seattle (Gates himself is an alum of Lakeside School where many Microsoft/Amazon titans' kids attend today), etc...i.e., where money resides in a US economy dominated by SV/NYC/LA/Dall/Hou in new wealth creation is where kids are sent to local private HS

Boarding schools seem to be stuff of kids from 3rdWorld money; kids of doctors, lawyers, car dealer owners, etc from Podunk US where neither good public/private schools are convenient; and an occasional old-money, dysfunctional family eager to ship the rugrats away before the parents' first divorce

Interestingly, have been amused by what low % of recent grads of even most famous boarding schools gain entry to top 5 colleges, vs the top private schools in Manhattan or Silicon Valley...presumably all crowds w/competitive native IQ, family money (for donations to colleges of choice) and family legacies at top 5 colleges....if nothing else, US is a dynamic place in which any school or college, no matter how prestigious 50 yrs ago in an analog world, loses relevance (among well-informed) after 10-20yrs of not producing notable alums....and trust funds deplete into irrelevance after a non-productive generation or two, w/3-4 kids per marriage and a few divorces speeding the dilution...

Old 11-09-2009, 11:50 PM

2,383 posts, read 5,398,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieChick1972 View Post
I would think that is about the worst thing somebody could do their child. Talk about making them feel unwanted. I don't know why a parent would do such a thing.
Well, my brother went to boarding school because HE did not want to go to private school and he was not being challlenged in the public school system. We grew up in a top rated public school system outside of Atlanta and it was not challenging enough for him and he decided to go to boarding school. He loved it and when he graduated he received a full academic scholarship to Tulane. He currently lives in Pa conducting research for cures on certain types of cancer. I think he turned out pretty good!

Old 11-10-2009, 01:18 AM

3,324 posts, read 5,321,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieChick1972 View Post
I would think that is about the worst thing somebody could do their child. Talk about making them feel unwanted. I don't know why a parent would do such a thing.
Gosh...in most cases that isn't true. I attended boarding school by choice because they had an awesome equestrain program along with many other opprotunities one doesn't typically find in public schools. Also from what I can recall most of my friends were there also by choice. There were a few students who came from unfortunate circumstances ( deceased parents, ect) and probably wouldn't have found themselves there otherwise but for the most part kids were quite happy. Those who weren't typically didn't return the following year. I have MANY fond memories of those days.

The high school I attended had alot of old money in it...including family names that would be recognized across this board. Also for some they were of the third or fourth generation in their family to attend. We also had many international students. My only regret about the experience was that I did it as a teen...NOW as an adult I would appreciate all of it soooooo much more.

To address the OP's question...IMHO boarding schools like ANY schools only provide the students with the tools to learn. What the student does with those tools will ultimately determine his/her success.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:55 PM

368 posts, read 1,778,312 times
We "shipped" our daughter off to boarding school at 14. Quite the change from CA to CT, but what an experience. I can say that as much as we missed her, and she us, it was worth every single dollar and lost chance to be together. I agree wholeheartedly that it depends on the kid and the family. We are upper middle class (I guess) and she was the first one to go - it is not a family thing. She was always a focused child, but not driven in any way. We had a lot of gloom and doom in our family before she went, with ill and dying grandparents as well as an aunt with cancer. Those issues, combined with her rather negative experience in catholic grammar school as far as mean girls convinced us that sending her to a different environment entirely was worth the experiment. She was willing to go, and has flourished in ways I could not have foreseen. I am impressed with her maturity combined with her very real appreciation of family when she is home for vacations. The students at her school run the gamut from the super rich to regular kids on financial aid. All in all, they are, with very few exceptions, the nicest, most polite group of kids a parent could hope for as peers for their child. I do not think she feels like we dumped her off, or that we didn't want the responsibility of raising her. She knows that the cost of sending her was not small, and that she is very fortunate. We are planning on sending our next daughter to the same school if she can get in - we would feel, as she would as well - very lucky to be able to provide such a wonderful experience for her. Sure, it is not an experience for every student, or every family, but for those that it is, I cannot explain what a wonderful opportunity this can be for all involved.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:48 AM

3,636 posts, read 5,021,962 times
We also decided to send our children to boarding school. Our son was a slightly built, shy child who was being overlooked in a public school classroom. He wasn't particularly motivated at school and loved to spend the evenings watching tv or playing video games. We were living in a close-in suburb of Washington, DC, where the private schools are intensely competitive. We also wanted a Christian atmosphere, so that further limited our options.

Because we had a lot of friends with boarding experience, we started looking into it. We decided that four hours away (driving) was the maximum so that frequent visits were possible. We attended many sports events and school productions. We were there or he was home at least once a month.

The son remained slim and shy but he was able to participate in school sports. Wrestling, particularly, helped him with self-confidence. With 6-10 students in each classroom, he couldn't be overlooked. While he was uncertain about it at the time, he never misses a reunion and stays in contact with other students and faculty. He still has a school sticker on his current car.

The daughter, always more outgoing, blossomed. She had many leadership positions, enjoyed the sports and did very well academically, winning an almost free-ride to college. She requested to go the boarding school after seeing the experience of her brother.

One aspect that hasn't been mentioned here is the different experience with faculty and other students. Most boarding schools have faculty living on campus so the students interact with them during meals, in the evening, weekends. The students are treated as young adults and they do mature more rapidly. Many of my friends have commented about how comfortable my children were with adults, even at 16 or 17. Our children also have friends from all over the country and several foreign countries.

Boarding also reduced a lot of the teen issues my other friends experienced. Driving all over the place and partying on the weekends were minimized. There were curfews that all the students had to follow. Of course, drinking and drugs are everywhere, but when caught, those students were kicked out. Because they boarded, their contact with homestown friends was reduced. Hence, when they were home for visits, they weren't out partying either. Their vacation schedule tended to be different. When my son was attending school at home, we frequently argued over getting the homework finished. Once he left for school, there were mandatory study sessions. The arguing at home over schoolwork vanished.

In hindsight, we have never regretted our decision. The children are both happy and well-adjusted adults, moving along in their professional careers.

Last edited by LynchburgLover; 01-25-2010 at 05:23 AM.. Reason: one more thought

Old 01-25-2010, 02:22 PM

3,636 posts, read 5,021,962 times
I keep thinking of things to add. The school my children attended had filters on the internet and the cell phone reception was shaky at best. I never had to worry about sexting! Facebook and Myspace were blocked. Cut down on a lot of questionable activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or