U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 03:27 AM

3,703 posts, read 3,029,493 times

Advertisements

When I was a kid I had a very evil step-father and I would have given anything in the world to go to boarding school. I even asked to go to military school. Didn't happen. Why would he spend money on me when public school is free?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 09:24 AM

1,394 posts, read 1,971,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
This was exactly my experience. There was a group of girls whose fathers were in prison for drug trafficking or white-collar crime. I lived across the hall from a guy who was literally a prince. He was very nice and had no airs and graces. If we wanted a pizza he would call the consulate and they would send over the Rolls to take us.

It was a complete education where the faculty, and particularly the headmaster, were concerned about things like speech, posture and dress. I remember one day the headmaster stopped me in the hall because my glasses were to loose and sitting low on my nose. He personally adjusted them and insisted I see an optometrist immediately to have them corrected. I also remember being chastised in front of the entire class by my history teacher for pronouncing the word “Iraq” incorrectly.

Such things would seem bizarre and intrusive in an ordinary school.

The whole point is to educate people to be at ease in any social situation. I have to say, it has come in handy. My job requires me, on occasion, to interact with ambassadors, prime ministers, presidents and other VIPs. It very useful to know how to be relaxed, have a conversation on any topic, and not embarrass myself by pronouncing “Iraq” incorrectly. I would not feel as confident if had not had that sort of education.
Out of curiosity, when did you attend? The experiences I relayed occurred between 2003 and 2008.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:42 PM

4,036 posts, read 8,551,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
Out of curiosity, when did you attend? The experiences I relayed occurred between 2003 and 2008.
'87 to '91.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:12 PM

6,035 posts, read 5,045,774 times
DH spent three years in a Seventh Day Adventist boarding academy (SDA is a religion). This is the norm for a lot of SDA youngsters - they are sent away to boarding school to get them away from the satanic influences of secularism, non-SDA friends, and public school. The school DH went to had a furniture mill affiliated with it, and the kids who couldn't afford full tuition worked it off at the mill (DH was one of them). To this day, DH disagrees with this - he says that kids that age need daily contact with their mother and father. It soured DH on attending college - he didn't want to spend another four years in an SDA-run facility. Needless to say, our kids were never sent to boarding school (DH left the SDA church soon after he turned 18).

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 02-13-2013 at 12:22 PM..

Old 01-22-2014, 08:19 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,670,511 times
The top schools where I am are boarding schools, like St. Margarets in Victoria, BC.
The elites shall inherit the state. A friend has their daughter there; it's expensive but
an incredible environment. Your university application also goes right to the top of the
pile.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:49 AM

2,779 posts, read 4,438,506 times
I loved loved loved my boarding school. I also love(d) my family. I went to a top ten liberal arts college and had a successful career before staying at home with our kids.

Too bad at 55k a year I can't afford to send my children there.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:12 AM

15,358 posts, read 12,872,114 times
I went to a public high school in the US, a private boarding school also in the US, and a private international school in Asia all while in high school. Weird I know.

The difference as I see them are primarily cultural. At both the boarding and IS school, students were expected to devote large quantities of time outside of school towards their education. At the boarding school the library was open to all hours, we had some classes in the evenings, "houses" had official study hours, and so on. At the IS, kids mostly did these things on their own but the school itself was open until 6pm weeknights (and saturdays since we had a half day on saturdays). This was NOT the case at the public school. Even while in AP classes, there was little homework, and no real expectation of serious studying except before exams.

As for the level of teaching, not particularly different. At the boarding school, teachers had more office hours but they also had less hours teaching so I guess it evened out. My AP teachers at the public school tended to be younger and more up on current information particularly in the two science classes I took there. My boarding school teachers were a million years old and still used periodic tables with less than 110 elements, and occasionally taught things that were "wrong". Again this was a bigger issue in Biology than any other classes (at least as far as I noticed) but labs were way better which is sort of counter intuitive. The IS school was somewhere in between the two.

I ended up sending my own child to a public academy where I also teach. The expectations are more like what I experienced as a student at an international school. She did well there.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:28 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,971,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
I loved loved loved my boarding school. I also love(d) my family. I went to a top ten liberal arts college and had a successful career before staying at home with our kids.

Too bad at 55k a year I can't afford to send my children there.
Have you explored the scholarship route? My impression from friends is that the new generation of headmasters is interested in recruiting from the middle and upper-middle classes. The well-established North-eastern schools tend to have very well-stocked scholarship funds and are in the position to offer majority or full scholarships.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:49 AM

7,778 posts, read 9,434,433 times
One of my bridge partners was a woman who was sent to boarding school. She then trained to be a nurse, joined the army, married an army doctor and years later they retired. She had a marvelous sense of humor. Her hair was always perfectly coiffed. She occasionally referred to her boarding school days, but not in a negative way.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:41 AM

9,775 posts, read 7,790,087 times
Top boarding schools on the East Coast used to produce almost guaranteed entry into an Ivy league school. That ended in the early 1960s. I have no data to compare current performance at the college level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or