Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 08:51 AM

124 posts, read 270,756 times

Advertisements

I was trying to give it a few more days to be sure, but I just wanted to update. My daughter was moved to a new class on the 14th. She's in with a few more kids she knows. The new teacher is a new hire this year. My daughter was actually excited about going to school this morning.

Also, I found out her old teacher has been in trouble twice (that I know about) for similar behavior. Last year she taught kindergarden. They were making Santa Clause bags. A little black boy began to color his Santa brown. She took it from him and threw it away. She told him no, it had to be white! The little boy got upset and started crying. She sent the child to the office and said he was being disruptive. Well, once the entire story came out the superintendant was called. But at least she's an equal opportunity person. She made a comment to a middle eastern family about definately not wanting to make them angry! Why she still has a job is beyond me. I guess she's close to retiring.

I still haven't met any parents in the new class. We have a class function next week. Yes, I actually received and email!! Again, I'm hopeful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 09:16 AM

They have been some crazy things with teachers in Georgia. Trust me my problem is mild.

Google how a teacher here had a 10year old student lick her toes! We've had more than one teacher duct tape a child here.
There is some incident daily here in the school system.

You guys can't believe hiding papers! Whatever.

Well, my thread was only to vent and allow other parents to vent if they'd like. I have nothing to gain by lying. But if you would like to give me your real name, personal home address and phone number, I could send you some information! See how silly that sounds. That's what you're asking me to do by giving you school information, teachers' name, etc.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:21 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,237,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnuro View Post
Just wanted houston3 to read this again. He must have missed it!
Yes I did miss it, but I still don't believe you.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:24 AM

Great news is, I still don't care!

Old 10-16-2009, 09:36 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,237,641 times
Quote:
Great news is, I still don't care!
That's not to hard to tell!

A quote from you original post.. It says a lot about you..

"Hopefully, I won't smack her during our meeting tomorrow!

Old 10-16-2009, 09:59 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,193,847 times
Quote:
I don't know. The best we've come up with is that at first the new school had only subdivisions in one central location.

Our old school had subdivisions spread out and a few apartment complexes. Kids were coming from everywhere.

The new school gained 2 or 3 subdivisions and one complex. We were in a subdivision very close to the new school, but went to the one a little farther away. So maybe they think we invaded their little family. I don't know. How can you rationalize unrational behavior?
Well, no, you're right-- you can't.

But you may be onto something there. I've heard acquaintances who are residents of a large, very Desperate Housewives-ish development here in Tampa decry the presence in their tony little elementary school of children who live outside the boundaries (and some actually live in apartments, oh the horror!). It'd be amusing if it were a SNL parody, but instead it's just really creepy.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
I'm just amazed that in this day and age people still cling to old stereotypes---blacks eat watermelon and fried chicken!

Its a shame your daughter has to go through all this, but at least she will learn early what the world's like. I've found "professional moms" the white, stay-at-home, above average income type to be the absolute worse. I had to take my daughter out of girl scouts because of such moms!

Marylee, you're stereotyping just as badly as the chicken ladies.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flik_becky View Post
Very true. A lot of people deny it, escpecially in the north were they are sheltered from it. It seems so distant and non exsistant. Everyone recogonizes the occasional bigot as a hick. They sincerly think that it keeps coming up because of a few angry blacks looking to get more from society than they should. If they spent some real time in the south, espeically in the schools, they would quickly acknowledge it. Look at all the press that segregated proms had this year, escpecially in Georgia.

LOL! I've heard more racial epithets from my Yankee BIL and SIL than I ever heard living in the Carolinas-- and the only place I ever saw a cross burned was as a child visiting relatives in the Midwest.
It's really easy to place blame for racial tension on those ignert hick Suthners, and some of it belongs there. But there's plenty to go around, no matter what religion, geographic location, or ethnic group/race you belong to.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:34 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,434,433 times
Quote:
I was trying to give it a few more days to be sure, but I just wanted to update. My daughter was moved to a new class on the 14th. She's in with a few more kids she knows. The new teacher is a new hire this year. My daughter was actually excited about going to school this morning.

Also, I found out her old teacher has been in trouble twice (that I know about) for similar behavior. Last year she taught kindergarden. They were making Santa Clause bags. A little black boy began to color his Santa brown. She took it from him and threw it away. She told him no, it had to be white! The little boy got upset and started crying. She sent the child to the office and said he was being disruptive. Well, once the entire story came out the superintendant was called. But at least she's an equal opportunity person. She made a comment to a middle eastern family about definately not wanting to make them angry! Why she still has a job is beyond me. I guess she's close to retiring.

I still haven't met any parents in the new class. We have a class function next week. Yes, I actually received and email!! Again, I'm hopeful.
That's good news for her and for you. Good luck!

Old 10-16-2009, 04:04 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,315,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
"I don't think you can ever be 100% of anyone on an anonymous chat board"

Did you mean 100% sure?

There is something about this one (the OP) that just doesn't come across as being truthful to ME.

"I, personally, as a working mom, have been a target of militant and rude PTA/'professional' moms."

How?

And last week my 4th grade grandson got a remark on his weekly report about his not turning in his homework , am I to assume that the teacher hid or threw it away? No I take it that he did not turn it in or didn't do it...
Of course I meant 100% sure.

By 'target' I mean things like signing up to help for an activity and never getting called, or being told that it had been taken care of by 'moms who are free during the day', etc., etc. Some people just seem to have an agenda. I think you know what I mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education