Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 12:49 PM

634 posts, read 1,447,726 times

Advertisements

I have a personal love for language. My 15 year old sister has no real grasp of how to utlilize language for the powerful, useful, and I would daresy, beautiful tool it can be and that frightens me. In my opinion the most important skill an educated person can have is the ability to communicate effectively and cogently in both verbal and written form. Unfortunately, fewer and fewer individuals are inculcated with the belief that strong language and grammatical skills are to their benefit. I agree with a few of the previous posters in that the context within which one is communicating can greatly impact the spelling and grammar choices one makes, but when Text Talk bleeds over into your everyday communications I believe it poses an issue worth examining.

But then again I'm just very old-fashioned. I still enjoy just popping open my dictionary (yes, the actual book kind) and introducing myself to new words!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 01:01 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Poor spelling and grammar detracts from your ability to convey a message through the written word. Put simply, spelling and grammar are a convention designed to ensure that the reader understands what you have written in a consistent way.

When I read something that is full of errors, it distracts my attention to the extent that I am no longer focused on the message but on the form.

Sadly, the number of people who cannot spell or do not have good grammar seems to be increasing. It is very common to see people confuse "there" and "their" or write "seperate" rather than "separate". And just because Star Trek popularised the phrase "to boldly go" does not make it grammatically correct.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:03 PM

10,833 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1025 View Post
It's all about professionalism. If you send an email with several grammatical and spelling errors, you end up sounding ignorant and thus become less reputable.
100% agreement.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:06 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,311,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic9460678748 View Post
Unfortunately, fewer and fewer individuals are inculcated with the belief that strong language and grammatical skills are to their benefit.
I totally agree. Thats probebly why i see soo meny emales from enjineers tht look like this.

People are ingrained with the belief that these skills are no longer valuable to the high tech business world. Instead, they argue that more emphasis needs to be put into mind-numbing number crunching. Basically, these individuals believe that everyone needs to become a doctor, nurse, accountant, or engineer. To hell with the art of communication!

Old 10-09-2009, 01:09 PM

46 posts, read 269,606 times
I agree with everything that has been posted regarding the original post. But what I hate the most is trying to figure out what the heck someone is trying to say. I think it is just common courtesy to articulate your thoughts using correct grammar and punctuation. On forums such as this I will completely bypass a post or comment if I can't understand what they are saying or if they did not take the time to use correct grammar, spelling and punctuation. A misspelled word here or there is ok, but the whole message? Won't read it.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:10 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,915 times
I believe it's common courtesy to make your written responses as error free as you can get them. It shows disrespect to the reader when there are tons of errors. My kids have informed me that all of those conventions are not necessary in text messages and IMing, but on a public forum they are nice. IMO

Old 10-09-2009, 06:19 PM

1,428 posts, read 3,160,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iColt1 View Post
I know spelling and grammar is important but when i talk about an important issue and people go "oh thats a proper noun it should be capitalized" makes me ticked...i know that you...!@#$...just dont remind me so why do u guys care bout it so much?
Well, because think of it this way: Why did we standardize spelling somewhere after the 18th century? Why do we have punctuation?

The answer is essentially the same for both: because they provide clarity.

Think about the difference in meaning between these pairs of sentences:

1. The panda eats shoots and leaves.
2. The panda eats, shoots, and leaves.

1. Look -- what's that in the road ahead?
2. Look -- what's that in the road? A head?

1. A woman without her man is nothing.
2. A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:40 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,638,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Wallace View Post
Well, because think of it this way: Why did we standardize spelling somewhere after the 18th century? Why do we have punctuation?

The answer is essentially the same for both: because they provide clarity.

Think about the difference in meaning between these pairs of sentences:

1. The panda eats shoots and leaves.
2. The panda eats, shoots, and leaves.

1. Look -- what's that in the road ahead?
2. Look -- what's that in the road? A head?

1. A woman without her man is nothing.
2. A woman: without her, man is nothing.
Next, you're going to tell me tone in how we say things matters!

Old 10-09-2009, 06:51 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,898,927 times
i hate when i make small i because my shift key sticks. I correct errors because they bug me. Formal letters require more attention to detail. Friends can deal with a "duh" or
The English language has deteriorated in this country.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:36 PM

989 posts, read 3,524,919 times
i agre with tha OP, speling and gramer R not emportent to comunacting good. If peeple cant reed my riting they nead too leern to reed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education