Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 07:43 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,586,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1025 View Post
I totally agree. Thats probebly why i see soo meny emales from enjineers tht look like this.

People are ingrained with the belief that these skills are no longer valuable to the high tech business world. Instead, they argue that more emphasis needs to be put into mind-numbing number crunching. Basically, these individuals believe that everyone needs to become a doctor, nurse, accountant, or engineer. To hell with the art of communication!
Eye second that eye just donut see why their is such a issue with knot noing how to spell or punkchalise or wear a comma r questioion mark gos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 07:56 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,294,291 times
Small gramatical errors I can ignore, but when people talk like "what r u doing 2day? i am going 2 the show tonite" it drives me NUTS!! At least TRY to act like you went to school.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:03 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,001 times
It just bugs me. I guess because I learned to write English before I learned to speak it.
For those of you that don't want to bother typing the words correctly get Firefox, it does spell checking on every thing your write.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:33 AM

1,428 posts, read 3,161,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jps-teacher View Post
Next, you're going to tell me tone in how we say things matters!
Darnit, I was! Let's have fun with tone.

Example:You look nice today.

1. YOU look nice today. (Implication: Everyone else looks as if he had been shat upon by an angry marmoset.)
2. You LOOK nice today. (Implication: Your smell, however, leaves something to be desired.)
3. You look NICE today. (Implication: ...but not any better than "nice.")
4. You look nice TODAY. (Implication: Yesterday, though, is another story.)

Old 10-10-2009, 11:12 AM

2,195 posts, read 3,639,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Wallace View Post
Darnit, I was! Let's have fun with tone.

Example:You look nice today.

1. YOU look nice today. (Implication: Everyone else looks as if he had been shat upon by an angry marmoset.)
2. You LOOK nice today. (Implication: Your smell, however, leaves something to be desired.)
3. You look NICE today. (Implication: ...but not any better than "nice.")
4. You look nice TODAY. (Implication: Yesterday, though, is another story.)
Adding interrogative statements, of course, gives us a few more.

Normally, for theater groups, I go with:
I am glad to see you.

1. I am glad to see you. (Implication: ...even if others are not.)
2. I am glad to see you. (Implication: ...even if my conduct has suggested otherwise.)
3. I am glad to see you. (Implication: This is my emotion, not whatever you thought it was.)
4. I am glad to see you. (Implication: Not just talk to or IM with you. Also used for somebody whose vision has been restricted for some reason.)
5. I am glad to see you. (Implication: ...though perhaps not the others.)

They also combine:

6. I am glad to see you. (Implication: ...even though you are not glad to see me.)
7. I am glad to see you. (Implication: ...though the rest of us don't care if it's in person or not.)
8. I am glad to see you. (Implication: ...the others have expressed their emotions - I disagree.)
etc.

Let alone what punctuation does to this:
I am glad to see. You?
Etc.

Or spelling and punctuation:
Aye. Am glad to see you.

Spelling, grammar, and tone totally change what the meaning is.

This is why so many people care about them.

Or should I say:
1. This is why so many people care about them. (Not those other reasons.)
2. This is why so many people care about them. (Why do you doubt it?)
3. This is why so many people care about them. (Not how, just why.)
4. This is why so many people care about them. (Emphasis on just how great a number it is.)
5. This is why so many people care about them. (Slightly less emphasis.)
6. This is why so many people care about them. (Animals and computers, not so much.)
7. This is why so many people care about them. (This emotion.)
8. This is why so many people care about them. (While caring less about other aspects of English.)

Old 10-10-2009, 03:03 PM

437 posts, read 929,779 times
When I am at school, I try to do good in not making any errors. I do have trouble with adjectives, adverbs, and a lot more. Yes when i am in the real world; I will be using good spelling and grammar.
I frequently get confuzed about colons, semi-colons, commas.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:30 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iColt1 View Post
When I am at school, I try to do good in not making any errors. I do have trouble with adjectives, adverbs, and a lot more. Yes when i am in the real world; I will be using good spelling and grammar.
I frequently get confuzed about colons, semi-colons, commas.
You sound like you are very young. Maybe 12. Or a non-native speaker.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:20 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,681,732 times
Ugh, I just heard someone use 'pacifically' instead of 'specifically'. It makes me stabby.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:30 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,639,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Ugh, I just heard someone use 'pacifically' instead of 'specifically'. It makes me stabby.
Clearly, their usage did not cause a pacific feeling to come over you!

Old 10-10-2009, 07:08 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jps-teacher View Post
Clearly, their usage did not cause a pacific feeling to come over you!
Or even a specific one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education