Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 08:12 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,766,685 times

Advertisements

Meat is much healthier for you than cheese.

Idiots
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 08:43 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,726,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
People say they want to live free....but yet they are all happy over the government (in any form) dictating what their kids should and should not be eating. It isn't that no meat is a big deal...it is the audacity of it all.

I'm glad my kids are out of school. I would send them to school that day with a boxed lunch with roast beef just to make a personal statement.
I don't think anyone would care if you did so, and if that's what your kid wants to eat then there's nothing wrong with that. At most (all?) schools kids are free to bring their own lunch; I usually did when I was growing up. Government (and schools) dictate what the kids eat in school lunches every single day; if they serve a beef option one day and not chicken that's also "dictating" what some kids are going to eat.

I think giving it a formal name ("Meatless Mondays") is a bit silly, though, and probably unnecessarily politicizes what really shouldn't be seen as such a big deal.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:21 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,511,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I don't think anyone would care if you did so, and if that's what your kid wants to eat then there's nothing wrong with that. At most (all?) schools kids are free to bring their own lunch; I usually did when I was growing up. Government (and schools) dictate what the kids eat in school lunches every single day; if they serve a beef option one day and not chicken that's also "dictating" what some kids are going to eat.

I think giving it a formal name ("Meatless Mondays") is a bit silly, though, and probably unnecessarily politicizes what really shouldn't be seen as such a big deal.
Exactly. If they forced everyone to buy it that's one thing but I think I can guarantee that some percentage of kids are unhappy every single day with what's offered for lunch. My son doesn't eat beef, (if he bought his lunch) he would be unhappy every day there was beef on the menu.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:41 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,898,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Most kids eat meat, but that doesn't mean they have to eat it every single meal, every single day. Kids can choose just as well on days where they have a choice between something with beans or lentils or cheese. I see no compelling reason why kids HAVE to have a meat option at every single meal.

I agree that both options being cheese-based is an issue: sort of like offering ham and a BLT sandwich for the two options on a "regular" day. But since no schools are advocating a 5-day-per-week only vegetarian plan, I don't see how having one, or even two, days a week with "only" vegetarian options is limiting anyone's choices and preference or forcing a vegetarian diet on anyone against their will, any more than kids are already limited in their options.
Because it is purposely taking away the thing kids like to eat. Most kids like meat. It may be politically incorrect to say so but most kids do not eat and do not want to eat a lentil entree. They don't like it, they don't want it. It's fine to have a choice for those who do like it but it is ridiculous for the liberals who run schools to force their aversion to meat on kids.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:44 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,898,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Is it really that normal to have meat for lunch every day?? I might have some dinner left overs that might or might not contain meat for lunch, but having meat would be more the unusual then usual. My eleventh grade son has been eating pb&J for years, as did my daughter. My other son ate a big raisin bagel for most of his school years. Our MS and HS offers a salad bar, pizza and then some sort of hot meal daily - something for everyone. I just looked at the lunch menu for our HS on-line and it's pizza hut pizza every Friday, which I guess is probably cheese or pepperoni. We have at least three dinners each week without meat, and I don't really think we're that unusual.
Schools have taken the PB&J option away also.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:37 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,931,898 times
Meat = $$$
Gub'mint cheese = cheap

Now, what would I rather my child eat for lunch at school... a healthy beef and vegetable stew made with lean meat, or a meal based on high fat, high sodium cheese?

Let me think about this for, ohhh, a nanosecond.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Because it is purposely taking away the thing kids like to eat. Most kids like meat. It may be politically incorrect to say so but most kids do not eat and do not want to eat a lentil entree. They don't like it, they don't want it. It's fine to have a choice for those who do like it but it is ridiculous for the liberals who run schools to force their aversion to meat on kids.
Most kids like to eat chicken nuggets and french fries, too. That doesn't they need to eat it at lunch every day. I would say that the same thing goes for unhealthy vegetarian meals.

Liberals are not the only vegetarians, by the way, and many liberals eat meat. In the case of this specific program they made the mistake of going along with a formal name connected with groups that have overly political leanings, but from a general standpoint offering two non-meat choices in itself does not have to be construed as a political statement.

Maybe if more kids had exposure to lentils they'd realize that they like them. My son loves lentils, and has eaten them from an early age.

And even if is a financial issue, I still see nothing wrong with it (but agree they should lay off the cheese); it's equally easy (or possible, if chosen wrong) to offer healthy vegetarian lunches at is to offer meat options, so what's wrong with saving a little money, exposing kids to some different foods (as I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that most parents who have a fit over this are not serving up vegetarian meals at home, perhaps in the misguided assumption that to do so is to become a liberal?)? Vegetarian meals only one or two days a week isn't taking away any real choice, isn't hurting anyone, can be perfectly healthy, might save a few bucks, and the kids are still getting plenty of meat options on the other days, or if their parents are so dedicated to providing all meat, all the time, they can pack a lunch those days.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Meat = $$$
Gub'mint cheese = cheap

Now, what would I rather my child eat for lunch at school... a healthy beef and vegetable stew made with lean meat, or a meal based on high fat, high sodium cheese?

Let me think about this for, ohhh, a nanosecond.
I think one of the issues is that the meat served by many schools isn't particularly healthy, either; it's more often the really fatty stuff, and comes cheap thanks to subsidies. Same with the cheese. Maybe a few days of nutritious yet affordable meals would free up some money to offer higher quality meat options on the other days, not to mention more fresh fruit and produce for every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education