Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 03:57 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,921,383 times

Advertisements

Cops: Aurora student jumps teacher over cell phone - The Denver Post

Thoughts?

On another note, just venting here..............I just turned in a student of mine for truancy. She is a second year sophomore and a young mother. She has 12 unexcused absences in my class (and we only meet every other day on block schedules).........anyway, I see her in the hall lobby when she should be in my class, chatting away with the security guards. I told her to get to class. She said she was going to try and talk to her counselor to drop my class. I said fine, come back with a note from the counselor confirming this. I knew she was lying so I called the counselor to see if she was there. Nope, never went. So 10 minutes later, I peek back out in the lobby to check if she is there. Yup, sure enough, chatting away with the damn security guards!! I don't understand why they didn't make her come to my class!

Instead, I had to take her to the deans office to report her for truancy and lying. She needs my class to graduate........she told the dean she doesn't come because she "doesn't like it."

Ugh. I just had to vent. Some kids today are just so frustrating. And I"m pissed at the security guards too, but not sure how to handle them. Advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 04:30 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,378,388 times
There should be some sort of punishment deemed by age. If you attack a meter maid, bus driver, train conductor, at least in NYC. You will be charged with felony. Too many students are not punished harshly by their crime. At most, they are suspended or transferred to another school. Imagine if they were taking away in handcuffs and prosecuted? Second, they know that teacher resist the urge to attack in fear of keeping their jobs.

In regards to the security guards, just report their actions to the principal. This should alleviate students chatising with the officers.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:33 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,700,044 times
She is too busy to get to class because she is enthralled with chatting to the GROWN ADULT "security officers" and she is a MOTHER already. NO WONDER! She needs to want to talk to the kids HER OWN AGE and not the adults. And those "adults" need to be doing their job. I'd report them PRONTO!!!! If they are supposed to be making sure things are going as they are supposed to that means NOT TALKING TO THE KIDS WHEN THEY ARE TO BE IN CLASS!!!! Especially if the teacher has already told them to get to class and they heard it.

I guess calling this girls mother is pointless as well. Sad, sad, sad. So she is going to be a THIRD YEAR sophmore next year.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:53 PM

99 posts, read 150,642 times
I just hope the security guard is not the father! I can't believe he didn't make her go to class. That's what he's there for, right? To make sure the "children" be where they are suppose to be.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:59 PM

10,805 posts, read 14,867,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post

Thoughts?

On another note, just venting here..............I just turned in a student of mine for truancy. She is a second year sophomore and a young mother.
Why are you wasting time on garbage?

Sophmore year and a "young mother" means she's 15 or 16 and rolled all together means she ain't a "child" anymore.

She's a adult. Might be a stupid adult but she is still an adult.

You'll tear yourself up if you try to save her because the only person that can save her is herself. Maybe someday she'll wake up but I would put the chances for that at slim and non.

Why are we wasting our precious resources, your time and my money, on this "problem" that doesn't exist? Seeing as how it is my money I would rather it be spent where it counts on students who want to learn.

What is your dream for her, to become a medical doctor, accountant, professional engineer or teacher? This will never happen she'll be a laundry lady at some motel and that is about it. You are killing yourself over nothing.

I would count her present or absent and give her an "F" at the end of the quarter and be done with it.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:25 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,921,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Why are you wasting time on garbage?

Sophmore year and a "young mother" means she's 15 or 16 and rolled all together means she ain't a "child" anymore.

She's a adult. Might be a stupid adult but she is still an adult.

You'll tear yourself up if you try to save her because the only person that can save her is herself. Maybe someday she'll wake up but I would put the chances for that at slim and non.

Why are we wasting our precious resources, your time and my money, on this "problem" that doesn't exist? Seeing as how it is my money I would rather it be spent where it counts on students who want to learn.

What is your dream for her, to become a medical doctor, accountant, professional engineer or teacher? This will never happen she'll be a laundry lady at some motel and that is about it. You are killing yourself over nothing.

I would count her present or absent and give her an "F" at the end of the quarter and be done with it.
No, I don't have any dreams for her for her career.....that is for her to decide. I just want her to graduate high school, but I am not going to pass her.

It's just frustrating as a teacher when we are directed by the administration and higher ups to do everything in our power to get a kid to come to school and pass. We end up having to work harder then the student and they still don't care.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:20 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,139,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post

Thoughts?

On another note, just venting here..............I just turned in a student of mine for truancy. She is a second year sophomore and a young mother. She has 12 unexcused absences in my class (and we only meet every other day on block schedules).........anyway, I see her in the hall lobby when she should be in my class, chatting away with the security guards. I told her to get to class. She said she was going to try and talk to her counselor to drop my class. I said fine, come back with a note from the counselor confirming this. I knew she was lying so I called the counselor to see if she was there. Nope, never went. So 10 minutes later, I peek back out in the lobby to check if she is there. Yup, sure enough, chatting away with the damn security guards!! I don't understand why they didn't make her come to my class!

Instead, I had to take her to the deans office to report her for truancy and lying. She needs my class to graduate........she told the dean she doesn't come because she "doesn't like it."

Ugh. I just had to vent. Some kids today are just so frustrating. And I"m pissed at the security guards too, but not sure how to handle them. Advice?
1. Report the security guards. Their job is to protect the school, not chat with the kids.
2. Flunk the girl if she deserves to be flunked.
3. Ask the dean if he or she reminded the girl why she's there, and what he or she did to support you.

As far as the teenager who jumped the teacher goes, that kid ought to be booted out - period.

Last edited by cebdark; 10-16-2009 at 10:21 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-17-2009, 06:02 PM

432 posts, read 756,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
1. Report the security guards. Their job is to protect the school, not chat with the kids.
2. Flunk the girl if she deserves to be flunked.
3. Ask the dean if he or she reminded the girl why she's there, and what he or she did to support you.

As far as the teenager who jumped the teacher goes, that kid ought to be booted out - period.
Good calls all around.

Report the security guards. If your administration is at all competent, those fellas won't be able to get a job guarding a WalMart.

Flunk the girl. She needs a wakeup call.

No student of mine would think of jumping me. Then again, I'm six-three and two-eighty, and they know that their sorry butt would follow their cellphone right out the classroom window.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:31 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,816,274 times
People should understand that not everyone enjoys high school.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:00 PM

1,049 posts, read 2,998,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
People should understand that not everyone enjoys high school.
High school is a joke anyhow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education