Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 08:55 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,629,409 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/30/education/30educ.html

"A new federal study shows that nearly a third of the states lowered their academic proficiency standards in recent years, a step that helps schools stay ahead of sanctions under the No Child Left Behind law. But lowering standards also confuses parents about how children’s achievement compares with those in other states and countries."

And we wonder why kids cheat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 02:56 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,174,568 times
I have to say I'm shocked that FL isn't among those which lowered the standards. I can only conclude that that's because nobody in the state DOE knew how to read them.

Old 11-01-2009, 03:06 PM

45,024 posts, read 60,017,539 times
MD redid the tests for this past year, especially the Government one, and instituted a couple of alternative options (a combined score for all four or projects). Which is what I predicted several years ago, the pilot scores were bad and the Legislature started putting pressure on the State School Board. I personally think several Legislators had kids in danger of not graduating.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:32 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,141,363 times
Can I just ask why people seem to be surprised that this is happening?

Does it not make sense that standards would be lowered to make it look like schools are making the requirements of NCLB? "Smoke and Mirrors" is nothing new.

Not that it's any kind of excuse for doing so, but it certainly isn't surprising IMHO. It comes down to money, pride and "putting on airs" as near as I can tell.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:44 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,825,895 times
Of course they lowered the standards. How ridiculous is it to think that 100% of students can be on grade level in the first place?

Old 11-01-2009, 05:57 PM

13,250 posts, read 33,391,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Of course they lowered the standards. How ridiculous is it to think that 100% of students can be on grade level in the first place?
Exactly. As a lay person I am totally flabbergasted by this goal 100% on grade level. I'm more surprised that more states didn't lower their standards. Make the standards low and then let the teachers get back to teaching content instead of teaching to some arbitrary test.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:02 PM

605 posts, read 2,154,852 times
Under NCLB, if a Title I school fails to meet adequate yearly progress (as defined by each state) for two or more years, the state must take drastic corrective action, such as restructuring, replacing school staff, or hiring an outside consultant.

Let's say it's year zero of NCLB, and a significant number of children in a state are two or more grade levels behind in math and/or reading. Somehow schools are supposed to get them up to grade level in mainstream classrooms in the same amount of instructional time as it takes to advance a child who already performs at grade level. And all of this rapid advancement must happen without signficant additional funding and in no more than two years.

Of course it's easier just to make the tests simpler.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:43 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,343,802 times
NCLB is making me seriously consider homeschooling my own children (And I am a public school teacher).

Old 11-02-2009, 05:05 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,174,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Exactly. As a lay person I am totally flabbergasted by this goal 100% on grade level. I'm more surprised that more states didn't lower their standards. Make the standards low and then let the teachers get back to teaching content instead of teaching to some arbitrary test.

Well, there's a thought. I'm guessing that if they ever had most of the kids on target, they'd just add targets. We HAVE to keep testing them for something, after all.

And Doc, I know an astonishing number of homeschooling former teachers.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:09 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,960,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
NCLB is making me seriously consider homeschooling my own children (And I am a public school teacher).
I'd say that a full third of the moms in my various homeschool groups are former public school teachers. Very common nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education