Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 09:42 AM

26,662 posts, read 26,633,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post
We all live in this fish bowl and we all have to interact. Let educational opportunities be tailored for both sexes.
Yes.
Colleges' gender gap - latimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 11:36 PM

272 posts, read 285,421 times
Feminist propaganda is the new Jim Crow propaganda.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:51 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,424,958 times
Quote:
Education rights for girls and women have come a long way. There are more female college students than males. Women have outperformed men in education over the years.

Yet females are not any safer. People talk so much about protecting girls and women or making sure we (I'm a woman) are getting all the educational access. This is fine. But nothing is being said or done about changing the way we educate boys from the get go.

Most of the violent crimes are done by the male sex.

Failure to address boys' educational needs (boys lag behind girls in academics and graduation rates) and incarcerating boys and men to no end WILL NOT make society safer. Girls and women will NOT be safer even with all the laws and regulations in place. Building more women's shelters will NOT make violence against women go away.

It's about CHANGING the way we educate boys. The bullies, the juvenile delinquints, the potential murderers and rapists, the psychopaths....they are there if we don't do something. They are not being raised and parented properly -- that is obvious.

So the public schools need to address this because where else can this be addressed? Prisons?

Do boys need more nurturing? Do they need more counseling? Do they need more (fill in the blank)? I don't know. What do you think?

I think the education of boys in this country is in SERIOUS NEGLECT and DIRE STRAITS. We do not have to neglect boys in order to educate girls, or vice versa.

We all live in this fish bowl and we all have to interact. Let educational opportunities be tailored for both sexes.
eh...I don't completely agree. you do realize that most violent crimes will always be performed by males, right? Know why? Because violent crimes are by definition crimes of exerted strength, and men are on average bigger and stronger than women. This is why you don't see too many female rapists; even if they had the propensity, they're typically not going to have the success rate of a 200+ pound guy.

I don't think we're failing boys any more frequently than we're failing girls in our educational system. And if you want to talk about what's failing these people the most and leading them to be criminals and general delinquents (boys and girls alike), look at families in places like the inner city - they hardly exist.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:37 AM

13 posts, read 31,126 times
Quote:
Education rights for girls and women have come a long way. There are more female college students than males. Women have outperformed men in education over the years.

Yet females are not any safer. People talk so much about protecting girls and women or making sure we (I'm a woman) are getting all the educational access. This is fine. But nothing is being said or done about changing the way we educate boys from the get go.

Failure to address boys' educational needs (boys lag behind girls in academics and graduation rates) and incarcerating boys and men to no end WILL NOT make society safer. Girls and women will NOT be safer even with all the laws and regulations in place. Building more women's shelters will NOT make violence against women go away.

It's about CHANGING the way we educate boys. The bullies, the juvenile delinquints, the potential murderers and rapists, the psychopaths....they are there if we don't do something. They are not being raised and parented properly -- that is obvious.

So the public schools need to address this because where else can this be addressed? Prisons?

Do boys need more nurturing? Do they need more counseling? Do they need more (fill in the blank)? I don't know. What do you think?

I think the education of boys in this country is in SERIOUS NEGLECT and DIRE STRAITS. We do not have to neglect boys in order to educate girls, or vice versa.

I guess not. No one fails to educate them. The sad thing is, boys are boys. I guess getting into trouble is normal to them. In fact, somehow it's their own choice. Not ours (women/girls)

Old 02-01-2010, 06:48 AM

13,253 posts, read 33,440,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shammy_sc View Post
I guess not. No one fails to educate them. The sad thing is, boys are boys. I guess getting into trouble is normal to them. In fact, somehow it's their own choice. Not ours (women/girls)
whoa! Let's not start bashing guys. The majority of men are not trouble making people.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:07 AM

972 posts, read 2,438,578 times
After reading through these posts, what really strikes me is how many are lumping all boys together and all girls together. If that were true, then life as a teacher would get quite a bit simplier!

Children come in so many different varieties that we need to look beyond boys or girls. There are some generalizations that can be made for most children which can provide a starting point. Such as middle school girls being less likely to speak out when they do not understand something. However, I have two girls in my classes who are very vocal. Boys have a reputation of being more hyper and a bigger behavior problem in general. Yes, my top 3 behavior problem students are boys, but the next 7 are girls.

When I allow the students to self select groups for projects, they tend to segregate by gender because the girls feel the boys do not listen to them. The discussions and work product quality is the same from all the students (except for one, but that is another thread...).

So, I do not think things need to be tailored specifically for boys or girls. But, I strongly believe that a classroom environment needs to be created that lets all students feel safe to participate and a wide variety of teaching strategies need to be used so each student can learn the information in several different ways (helps with retention and retreval).

Old 02-05-2010, 08:33 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,920,404 times
Quote:

I think there are a couple of issues here.

More and more kids live in homes without fathers, and I think that's a huge problem. While this negatively affects both boys and girls, it affects boys different. Schools, particularly in the lower grades, are also very matriarchal. When boys have their lives completely ruled by women, and rarely if ever see a man in a constructive role, they will just turn off at a certain age.

Boys are also more active than girls, generally, and need more time to burn off their excess energy. From what I've heard, schools are providing less of this time. Generally, I think education has become geared more and more toward girls, and we're seeing the results.

I never agreed that we should make educating girls a priority. Part of our problem is that we think this way. We need to look at society as a whole. If men aren't doing well, women aren't either, and vice versa. To pit one gender against the other is idiocy, IMO. And of course, all the feminists who have been worried to death about how girls are 'shortchanged' wouldn't care if 99% of the boys dropped out after 2nd grade. Their hypocrisy is astounding.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:13 PM

571 posts, read 942,078 times
So much sexism in this thread from women about men, and men about women that it is almost sickening.

No; not all boys are criminals. Not all boys are aggressive or violent. I haven't hit anyone other than my brothers since I was in about 8th grade, and I am a junior in high school right now. I also have a learning disability when it comes to math (got a 17 on my math ACT) and excell in English (got a 29 in Reading and a 30 in Grammar on ACT). I hate sports, and love reading and marching/symphonic band.

The problem isn't due to "Boys are like this and girls are like this and THATS HOW IT IS!" Everybody has different personalities, likes, and dislikes. I've met boys who hate sports & violence and girls who hate romance movies & dressing up. I'd say close to around 30% of teens don't "fit in" with their gender stereotypes.

The problem is, for BOTH genders: you have kids in school who don't want to be there, and society literally forces them through. That's it. Why not allow the student to decide for themselves what they want to do? Some kids just don't "get" academics. There's this guy in my Bio class who is an all-around nice kid, he has lots of street smarts, but the poor guy sits there like a dunce the whole time and even told the teacher flat-out "Eh, I'm just not good at school, I want to learn how to be a repairman like my dad." Why is he sitting in class learning about birds, bugs, and reptiles?!? What use does he have for them?!

Why should I have to take a math class if I plan on becoming a journalist? When will I use what I "learned"? Why can't I take a few classes related to journalism and be done with it. What about kids who want to become engineers, where are the pre-engineering classes for them? Why force kids to sit through classes where they are smart enough to realize "this is BS, I'm never going to use this because it has nothing to do with my future"?

Until someone steps up and MAKES this point, we will be failing in education as our world becomes more advanced, nuanced, and information that you once couldn't learn unless you learned it in a classroom becomes available at the click of a button.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:21 PM

164 posts, read 298,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntamedOhioan View Post
So much sexism in this thread from women about men, and men about women that it is almost sickening.

No; not all boys are criminals. Not all boys are aggressive or violent. I haven't hit anyone other than my brothers since I was in about 8th grade, and I am a junior in high school right now. I also have a learning disability when it comes to math (got a 17 on my math ACT) and excell in English (got a 29 in Reading and a 30 in Grammar on ACT). I hate sports, and love reading and marching/symphonic band.

The problem isn't due to "Boys are like this and girls are like this and THATS HOW IT IS!" Everybody has different personalities, likes, and dislikes. I've met boys who hate sports & violence and girls who hate romance movies & dressing up. I'd say close to around 30% of teens don't "fit in" with their gender stereotypes.

The problem is, for BOTH genders: you have kids in school who don't want to be there, and society literally forces them through. That's it. Why not allow the student to decide for themselves what they want to do? Some kids just don't "get" academics. There's this guy in my Bio class who is an all-around nice kid, he has lots of street smarts, but the poor guy sits there like a dunce the whole time and even told the teacher flat-out "Eh, I'm just not good at school, I want to learn how to be a repairman like my dad." Why is he sitting in class learning about birds, bugs, and reptiles?!? What use does he have for them?!

Why should I have to take a math class if I plan on becoming a journalist? When will I use what I "learned"? Why can't I take a few classes related to journalism and be done with it. What about kids who want to become engineers, where are the pre-engineering classes for them? Why force kids to sit through classes where they are smart enough to realize "this is BS, I'm never going to use this because it has nothing to do with my future"?

Until someone steps up and MAKES this point, we will be failing in education as our world becomes more advanced, nuanced, and information that you once couldn't learn unless you learned it in a classroom becomes available at the click of a button.
You should expect a reply along these lines.

"You never know."
"It makes you a well rounded person"
"You're getting an education!"
"You might have to use xyz in such-and-such way in so-and-so."

I don't agree with any of those though, so I understand what your feeling.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:07 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,787,137 times
This is all tied in with America's manufacturing and production sector dying. A lot of good paying jobs jobs men used to do are now impossible to get into or find a job in such as steel mills and things like that. Not everyone is meant to go to college or fits in with the college style of teaching so men like that are forced into a life of poverty which leads to crime. Women are doing extremely well now since women traditionally enter the healthcare field which is booming right now. The industries that men predominately used to get into throughout history are all dying in America.

In the 50's a guy would just go work in a factory and make a good wage if he did not want to go to school to become a lawyer or doctor or something now men have extremely limited options in America. Men are now being pigeonholed into doing things they really don't want to do or were born to do. The schools need to evolve they have been teaching college the same way now for decades their system does not properly work for everyone it just depends if you're the type of person that is good at learning the way "they" teach. Some people are better at visual learning and hands on not just memorizing things from a book. College fails millions of people, many of these people are men, college is only helpful to people that fit in with the teaching systems colleges use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education