U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 12:50 AM

10 posts, read 20,923 times

Advertisements

To make a long story short, my daughter is receiving IEP services since 3rd grade and is currently in 6th grade. Her IEP is a joke and I didnít know better. I am now pushing for them to write some measurable goals and objectives, they just keep on defending the IEP. I know I will have to write one and ask them to accept it, but the problem for me is that I do not know what is expected for a 6th grader. I am hoping there are teachers who can help me.

My daughter has always been able to read, just that she does not understand, she cannot even write a paragraph in 6th grade. She has both receptive and expressive language difficulties. She has been confirmed to have APD recently. But I think a larger problem is that there is no accountability for the SPED teacher, they only need to teach a little bit and as long as the kids show progress, they are okay. For example, I found out that they required the regular class kids to read 30 minutes daily and write a book summary or something once a week, but my daughter was never asked to do it in the last 3 years. Another example, , her current teacher told me that she is teacher my daughter to read with expression, then I found out that it was taught in the 3rd grade and 4th grade level, but it was never introduced to my daughter.

I understand that resource room kids may be taught differently, but they just dumped the kids to a room and chose to teach whatever they want Yes, I know I am responsible as well and I am correcting it now. I have been reading about IEP and know that I need to re-write the IEP, hence I hope to be able to find out what is expected or taught from 3rd to 6th grade. I checked the district website, but there is really nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 01:46 PM

3,764 posts, read 7,471,469 times
Default team effort

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelnj11 View Post
To make a long story short, my daughter is receiving IEP services since 3rd grade and is currently in 6th grade. Her IEP is a joke and I didnít know better. I am now pushing for them to write some measurable goals and objectives, they just keep on defending the IEP. I know I will have to write one and ask them to accept it, but the problem for me is that I do not know what is expected for a 6th grader. I am hoping there are teachers who can help me.

My daughter has always been able to read, just that she does not understand, she cannot even write a paragraph in 6th grade. She has both receptive and expressive language difficulties. She has been confirmed to have APD recently. But I think a larger problem is that there is no accountability for the SPED teacher, they only need to teach a little bit and as long as the kids show progress, they are okay. For example, I found out that they required the regular class kids to read 30 minutes daily and write a book summary or something once a week, but my daughter was never asked to do it in the last 3 years. Another example, , her current teacher told me that she is teacher my daughter to read with expression, then I found out that it was taught in the 3rd grade and 4th grade level, but it was never introduced to my daughter.

I understand that resource room kids may be taught differently, but they just dumped the kids to a room and chose to teach whatever they want Yes, I know I am responsible as well and I am correcting it now. I have been reading about IEP and know that I need to re-write the IEP, hence I hope to be able to find out what is expected or taught from 3rd to 6th grade. I checked the district website, but there is really nothing.
You should be able to request a team meeting, sit down with your daughter's team, and together re-evaluate your daughter's IEP to better address her auditory processing disorder, difficulties with writing, and reading comprehension deficits. This is not something you should have to take on alone.

Is there an inclusionary model at your school? How much time does your daughter spend in a resource room a day? Is she receiving speech services for the expressive language issues?

Old 11-15-2009, 04:12 PM

6,585 posts, read 22,863,281 times
If there's any way at all you can manage it, I encourage you to seek out a private school for kids with learning disabilities in order to get your child's learning needs properly met.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:58 PM

7,136 posts, read 11,011,591 times
Is the course of study for your school district online? If so, it should spell out what is taught at each grade level for each subject. If not, you can request the course of study. Some states actually have specific learning goals spelled out for each subject for the entire state. If you know what is expected for the majority of the students you'll have a good idea of what to request for your daughter. Best wishes.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:18 PM

60 posts, read 222,740 times
Each state should have their own frameworks. Go to your State Department of Education website. You should be able to download the frameworks. Additionally, if you live near a college that has education as a major, the bookstore there should have hard copies of the Language Arts frameworks for your state. Amazon may also have them. Good luck.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:28 PM

1,049 posts, read 2,520,173 times
Shouldn't this thread be in the SPED section? What language arts is being taught to the general 3rd-6th graders will vary greatly from that being taught to someone who doesn't have the mental ability to comprehend what's being taught. If she cant understand what is read, and can't form coherent paragraphs, how do you expect her to be able to read 30 minutes and write a book summery on it? If you think it's so easy to teach that stuff to someone mentally challenged, then why haven't YOU taught it?

Here's my little rant. You want your kid to have an IEP and be treated special, yet you also want her to be on the same level as the general education students. You can't have both. Sorry, no cake and eating it as well.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:35 PM

thank you very much.
I tried to work with the IEP team for several months, but just couldn't go anywhere as they refused anything. BTW, as of now, I have been very polite and professional in the meeting. Examples of goal are
- to improve oral reading proficiency
- to improve reading comprehension skills

According to them, one benefit is giving teachers the flexibility.

I considered private school but my district is supposed to be a very good district and I am hopeful that DD is able to go to regular class with the right services, she needs to catch up what she missed in the last 3 years. She has a private tutor as well.

thanks for the private message for the link, it helps. I found out the frameworks from my state's website.

Last edited by travelnj11; 11-15-2009 at 10:14 PM..

Old 11-15-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
Shouldn't this thread be in the SPED section? What language arts is being taught to the general 3rd-6th graders will vary greatly from that being taught to someone who doesn't have the mental ability to comprehend what's being taught. If she cant understand what is read, and can't form coherent paragraphs, how do you expect her to be able to read 30 minutes and write a book summery on it? If you think it's so easy to teach that stuff to someone mentally challenged, then why haven't YOU taught it?

Here's my little rant. You want your kid to have an IEP and be treated special, yet you also want her to be on the same level as the general education students. You can't have both. Sorry, no cake and eating it as well.
I don't want my kid to be treated special. I asked that her tests not be modified, I asked that she not be given extended time for standardized test. In fact, I made the decision to put her back to regular class for Math last year and taught her myself.

I had simplied the situation, currently in 6th grade, her SPED teacher asked her to do 30 minutes reading daily and write the summary as it is normally requied. In fact, in my IEP meeting a few months ago, the director suggested that I asked DD to do daily reading, at the time she didn't realize that the SPED teachers in the last 3 years had not been asking DD to do.

The problem with delaying the reading is that at this age she will be reading longer books, and is expected to know various styles of writing.

Seriously, I did not ask to have my kids to have an IEP. 3 years ago, I was concerned that they would not be learning the same as regular class, the teacher assured me that they were following the same curriculum. This year, the teacher told me that she will be focusing to teach DD to be able to write a paragraph.

I admitted that there were mistakes on my part in the past and I am going to make it right. I am finding out how. I didn't realize that there is a SPED section.

If you have any constructive suggestions and have any questions, I am more than happy to answer.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:39 PM

36,616 posts, read 41,896,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelnj11 View Post
I don't want my kid to be treated special. I asked that her tests not be modified, I asked that she not be given extended time for standardized test. In fact, I made the decision to put her back to regular class for Math last year and taught her myself.
If your daughter learns differently than other children (likely if she has expressive and receptive language difficulties, amontg other things you mention), what sense does it make to be against modification that will allow her the highest level of success for her specific abilities? You have a kid who learns differently. Why demand that she not be taught differently? Would you refuse a child with a physical disability an adaptive device? Be glad that there are systems in place to individualize her education in a way specific to her and her needs.

Since you worked with her yourself on math, I'm sure that you realize that if you're concerned that she's not getting enough reading/writing practice in school (many kids, even those with out learning and/or developmental disabilities, aren't), you can work with her on reading or writing at home as well.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
If your daughter learns differently than other children (likely if she has expressive and receptive language difficulties, amontg other things you mention), what sense does it make to be against modification that will allow her the highest level of success for her specific abilities? You have a kid who learns differently. Why demand that she not be taught differently? Would you refuse a child with a physical disability an adaptive device? Be glad that there are systems in place to individualize her education in a way specific to her and her needs.

Since you worked with her yourself on math, I'm sure that you realize that if you're concerned that she's not getting enough reading/writing practice in school (many kids, even those with out learning and/or developmental disabilities, aren't), you can work with her on reading or writing at home as well.
I understand that she may be reguired to be taught differently, when I taught her Math, I have to break down the concepts and use repetitions. She does not have too much problems with Social Studies and Sciences tests, i.e. she is getting As and Bs ONLY when she understands which is the hard part. Both she and I were disappointed that her tests were different, hence I asked that her tests not be modified.

The problem is that I don't think she was taught differently. It is clear to me now that I know she has APD.

My observation with the resource room teaching is that they put several kids in the same room, the SPED teacher is using a single approach to teach all the kids, it may be okay when all the kids first joined the resource room, but as time went by, the kids progressed differently as they have different disabilities. Say, one kid in her class cannot read clearly, how can the teacher teach kids with such differences in disabilities?

Even for Math, they were supposed to be taught the same curriculum, and I had been monitoring and helping DD when she was in resource room, when I moved her to the regular class, I found out that she missed many of the concepts that were taught. I am glad I moved her out early, I can't imagine if I let her stay in the resource room longer than 2 years.

If I can, I will pull her out of Language Arts, but she is so far behind (i.e. missed many of the material taught in the regular class) that she can't survive (the SPED teacher's word and I agreed) in the regular class. She has an average IQ, she is eager to learn, but I think her SPED teachers in the last few years were plain lazy.

I am working with her reading/writing and she has a private tutor, but I like to make sure her IEP is properly written to address her needs, but I know this will be difficult.

I am new in this board, if there is a SPED section, can the moderator move this to the SPED section? I found out the discussion on IEP via a search, hence I posted here.

Last edited by travelnj11; 11-16-2009 at 12:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or