Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 05:45 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,347,608 times

Advertisements

It is annoying and it makes people sound ignorant. I have relatives who drop an "R" in the middle of wash so they pronounce WARSH - hello there is NO R in there!! In fact once we were in southern IL and we went past some place in some dinky town where they actually had "CAR WARSH" painted on the sign. (!)

Some pronounce PIN for Pen, I once handed a girl a safety pin when she asked to borrow a "pin" of course she meant a "pen".

Sammich - currently the annoying trend, hello, little baby kids pronounce it sammich or even worse sangwich, correct pronounciation it is sandwich.

I appreciate good diction more than the average person though. Kids nowadays do not have to take speech class like when we were growing up - and it shows!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 07:26 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,741,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
It is annoying and it makes people sound ignorant. I have relatives who drop an "R" in the middle of wash so they pronounce WARSH - hello there is NO R in there!! In fact once we were in southern IL and we went past some place in some dinky town where they actually had "CAR WARSH" painted on the sign. (!)

Some pronounce PIN for Pen, I once handed a girl a safety pin when she asked to borrow a "pin" of course she meant a "pen".

Sammich - currently the annoying trend, hello, little baby kids pronounce it sammich or even worse sangwich, correct pronounciation it is sandwich.

I appreciate good diction more than the average person though. Kids nowadays do not have to take speech class like when we were growing up - and it shows!!
The pin/pen thing is definitely regional.

I have grown up in Texas, and I honestly cannot hear the difference in anyone around me or when I say the words out loud. Pin/pen, all sounds the same to me. I can see how someone would say "pehn" for pen but no one I know does that.

Now, "sangwich" absolutely sets my teeth on edge and makes me want to hit someone in the face. It's common in the part of Texas I live in though, unfortunately.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:10 PM

88,546 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
The pin/pen thing is definitely regional.

I have grown up in Texas, and I honestly cannot hear the difference in anyone around me or when I say the words out loud. Pin/pen, all sounds the same to me. I can see how someone would say "pehn" for pen but no one I know does that.

Now, "sangwich" absolutely sets my teeth on edge and makes me want to hit someone in the face. It's common in the part of Texas I live in though, unfortunately.
That one drives me crazy, so much so that I've annoyed people on another forum complaining about it, lol.

It's very common in some regions to say the short i and the short e the same way, but to those of us to whom they are distinctly different, it's grating to hear.

I hear it in newscasters who say "More on the Tin O'clock News" and even my automated voice on my work phone voicemail says, "Inter your password".

I think I just have to get over it, but I don't have to LIKE it! Just open your mouths a little when you see an "e"...eh eh eh

Old 07-31-2013, 10:22 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,741,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That one drives me crazy, so much so that I've annoyed people on another forum complaining about it, lol.

It's very common in some regions to say the short i and the short e the same way, but to those of us to whom they are distinctly different, it's grating to hear.

I hear it in newscasters who say "More on the Tin O'clock News" and even my automated voice on my work phone voicemail says, "Inter your password".

I think I just have to get over it, but I don't have to LIKE it! Just open your mouths a little when you see an "e"...eh eh eh
LOL, well, like I said, regional. Went to Iowa and Minnesota.. I am a native Texan.. and some things just made me want to curl up and DIE.

My wife grew up in Iowa and even though she's been here in Texas all of her adult life and part of her teen years there are still things she says "weird" to my ears anyway. Bag. Nag. Sag. Coming from her they sound like "baig", "naig", "saig" -- the same sound as in paid or laid. Bagel sounds like "beggle" and I have to grit my teeth every time she says "coupon" as "queue-pon". She knows I won't share my homemade pecan pie if she says "pee-can".

Yeah I am a meanie about the pecan thing.

I don't think our marriage would survive if she said "pop" for soda though, thank goodness she lost that one years ago!

Old 08-02-2013, 08:19 PM

831 posts, read 1,582,491 times
I think the words color and collar sound exactly the same. But my husband tells my I say them both like collar.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:47 PM

88,546 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ123 View Post
I think the words color and collar sound exactly the same. But my husband tells my I say them both like collar.
That's one I never heard before. No, they don't sound the same. Collar would be CAH-ler, and color would be CUH-ler.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:19 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,702,242 times
I cant stand the southern drawl. It doesnt sound cute or neat. I lived in the south all my life and i do my best to not have a texan accent, but i have adopted a neutral one instead.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:52 AM

17,613 posts, read 17,649,156 times
Since this is an education forum, I thought this topic would be about teachers speak or how students speak. Instead I find a gripe topic on how people in certain regions pronounce words. Children learn how to speak and pronounce words from their parents. People can pick up a local accent if they move to a new area and stay there long enough. Having a certain accent does not mean they are stupid. Are Bostonians stupid for their AR inflections? Is a slow Texas drawl a sign of stupidity? This being an education forum, I thought this topic would involve how some teachers speak to students in class. For example, a teacher who lectures in a monotone voice will put the students' mind to sleep. A teacher who speaks with a whiney inflection to their voice will be disrespected as a wishy washy teacher. A teacher that uses a particular word or phrase repeatedly in nearly every sentence will quickly lose her students. (Like, you know, what not, ok for examples)

If you are teachers, do you correct or complain about your "urban" students way of speaking? The accents I've seen here (so far, haven't read all pages yet) deal with regional accents that are usually by people of European ancestry.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:01 AM

I have Aspergers and even I have more social skills and knowledge to know you do not speak nor treat people this way socially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flik_becky View Post
I have little patience for people who do not have respect enough for other people to even speak well. I drives me CRAZY. I also don't like how people just walk up and state one word and expect an answer for it. At a couple different places I worked, I would have people come up and just state something stupid like "gum". And I would just look at them with a blank look on my face and stand there until the silence became uncomfortable and then say..."O..k...what do you want to know about it?" Or equally as stupid..."I've got a question for you....gum." "That's not a question, that's a fragmented sentence. What do you want to know about gum today?" On the bad grammar, I spend so much time correcting the children that I do it to other people without even realizing it. It isn't that they don't know better, they just choose not to and it is a sign that that person has a low level of respect for the person they are speaking to. One of my biggest pet peeves is the way people say Oregon. It is pronounced awry-gun but dare tell anyone who lives or has lived there that.

And one more speaking pet peeve. Though if you look hard enough you might someone who might agree that I am nauseous. I find kidney beans nauseous. When I see them, they give me nausea and when I eat them, I become nauseated. When I have s stomach bug and people ask, "Are you nauseous?" I reply, "No, not unless you think I am, but I am nauseated today."

Now if I am speaking to people that don't have the respect to speak well to me, I show them the same kindness by getting worse then them, "gum?" "uh (really drug out)....nope." or I point in the general direction and say, "o'r yonder." Not that gum is really representative but it gets the point across.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:06 AM

Umm, did any of you read the Canterbury Tales or Beowulf in their original language (middle English and Old English)? Or how about Shakespeare? Spoken language changes over time no matter how hard some fight against such change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education